Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 03:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,404 times

Advertisements

Hi there my boyfriend and I are planning to move from central coast California to Ithaca in August and are looking for advice..we are both 25 and not looking to be too far from ithica college (where I will be attending ) and downtown but also far enough away that we will have a quiet place to live. We are originally from country settings (I am from the Poconos in PA, he is from the mountains in CA) and prefer as much nature/privacy as our small budget can afford. We aren't interested in the college life scene but still want to enjoy farmers markets and downtown life on occasion. Despite our desire to be somewhat away from the downtown area, I am concerned about being too far from campus because driving in the snow will be an adjustment for both of us. He has never driven in snow and I haven't in years. Any suggestions as far as towns that are quiet yet close?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 06:31 AM

93,282 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Look in places like Lansing or the town of Ithaca. There are other posters that can give more specific info, but those 2 areas are a start.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,404 times
Thanks.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:15 PM

No problem and you may like Dryden or Trumansburg as well.

tburgfm - Home
Trumansburg Area Chamber of Commerce - Get it Local.

Dryden Farmers Market to Open Saturday - News - Ithaca Times
Town of Dryden
Village of Dryden Home Page

Here's some Lansing info: Home Page
Home
Village of Lansing, NY

Ithaca info: Ithaca Farmers Market |
Downtown Ithaca - Downtown Ithaca Alliance

Newfield may be another community to look into: Newfield Farmers' Market
Town of Newfield

Old 11-15-2014, 09:15 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
For a short commute to IC with those criteria? Look in the south hill part of town, or maybe Danby

Old 11-16-2014, 06:20 AM

What is your budget? Would an area of the city work, as long as it is relatively quiet?

Old 11-16-2014, 10:41 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
I would advise doing a Zillow search for both rentals and homes for sale for the following NY counties: Tompkins, Cortland, Tioga and Chemung. The closer you are to Ithaca, the more expensive it is to rent. Then research the areas that have cheaper rentals. And why have you decided to attend Ithaca College? Forbes ranks it at #198, not a bad ranking but not in the same category as Cornell U.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I would advise doing a Zillow search for both rentals and homes for sale for the following NY counties: Tompkins, Cortland, Tioga and Chemung. The closer you are to Ithaca, the more expensive it is to rent. Then research the areas that have cheaper rentals. And why have you decided to attend Ithaca College? Forbes ranks it at #198, not a bad ranking but not in the same category as Cornell U.
Ithaca College actually has pretty good Music and Broadcast Communications(Roy Park School of Communications) programs. Those are the 2 that come to mind off of the top of my head.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:12 AM

286 posts, read 1,118,513 times
For the most rural home with the shortest commute, I would look south of town, not in Lansing (where you would need to deal with downtown traffic every day yet be on the wrong hill besides.) I don't know of any apartments in the area but there may be houses for rent. IC is about 10 minutes' drive downtown and pretty well marks the line from town to country, so if you were 10 minutes from campus, you'd be 20 minutes to downtown and in a pretty rural environment with killer views.

If you want access to a rural environment but your primary noise concern is just being farther away from students, I would look at places downtown and plan weekend hiking and camping trips. Students mostly don't hike up the hill, but the bus access makes getting to campus easy on days you're not comfortable driving. I believe there is an bus that goes south to Danby that you might be able to catch, but the options are much more limited than from downtown to IC.

Wells5--IC has nationally-ranked physical therapy, speech pathology, music, Television-Radio, and theater programs. I know their musical theater program draws in folks from around the country.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:16 PM

18 posts, read 36,533 times
Check out Boiceville Cottages. They are located in Brooktondale, NY...about fifteen minutes from IC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York