Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:41 AM

93,154 posts, read 123,754,884 times

Advertisements

Has anyone taken any of the 3 ferries across Lake Champlain between NY and VT? How long does it take to get across? Do people use it to commute on a regular basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Here is what I'm talking about, by the way: Lake Champlain Ferries | New York & Vermont Ferry Crossings | Lake Champlain Transportation

Old 11-17-2014, 03:36 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
I took the ferry for 4 years when my daughter was at school in Vermont. For me the Charlotte to Essex route (about 1 hr) was a nice break from the 12+ road trip. My daughter said there were teachers who commuted from Plattsburgh every day so I guess it's just a mind set if you want to have that as a daily commute.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:34 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,262,883 times
Yes. People use them to commute. Especially the Plattsburg/Grand Isle one. Its a busy crossing.
The P'Burg/Grand Isle ferry runs 24/7 and is about a 15-20 minute crossing. They usually run 3 boats during the day so there is very little wait time. Never been on that crossing at night so not sure how many boats they run.
The Essex/Charlotte ferry is a 25-30 minute ride. They run 2 ferries leaving on the 1/2 hour. There are some commuters on this line. It occasionally shuts down during winter if there is too much ice. It also only runs from 6am-8pm.
The Burlington/Fort Kent ferry is about an hour long. It is seasonal, only running during the warmer months.
Lake Champlain Ferries | New York & Vermont Ferry Crossings | Lake Champlain Transportation

There is another ferry that is run by a different outfit than the 3 above ferries that runs between Shorham VT and Ticonderoga NY. It runs on a cable - very interesting! About a 10 minute ride. This is also a seasonal ferry.
Home

Old 11-17-2014, 07:09 PM

Nice! Do they offer passes similar an EZ Pass or is it strictly on a daily basis? Has there ever been talks to replace the ferry routes with a bridge?

Also, has Burlington and Plattsburgh thought marketing itself as one region in terms of tourism?

Old 11-18-2014, 11:08 AM

Never heard of a bridge. It would cost a ton of money and I'm sure the ferry company would have a say in that! Its a mile crossing where the P'burg/GI ferry is which is the shortest crossing (not counting the Fort Ti ferry).
They don't have an easy pass system but I believe if you buy XXX amount of tickets you get a small discount.
Many NYers leave a car on the VT side during the week(there is a parking lot where they are allowed to do this) and walk on the ferry to save money. Then take the cars back over to the NY side for the weekend (speaking of the Plattsburg/Grand Isle crossing).
I've never heard of the regions combining to market together.

Edit: just found on the website - they do have a commuter card that you can buy.
http://www.ferries.com/crossing-sche...commuter-cards

Old 11-18-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Never heard of a bridge. It would cost a ton of money and I'm sure the ferry company would have a say in that! Its a mile crossing where the P'burg/GI ferry is which is the shortest crossing (not counting the Fort Ti ferry).
They don't have an easy pass system but I believe if you buy XXX amount of tickets you get a small discount.
Many NYers leave a car on the VT side during the week(there is a parking lot where they are allowed to do this) and walk on the ferry to save money. Then take the cars back over to the NY side for the weekend (speaking of the Plattsburg/Grand Isle crossing).
I've never heard of the regions combining to market together.

Edit: just found on the website - they do have a commuter card that you can buy.
Ferry Ride Gift & Commuter Cards | Lake Champlain Ferries
You answered another question I had about leaving a car on one side or the other.

Is there a public transportation connection at either end that gets you to any of the ferry routes?

Old 11-18-2014, 12:40 PM

I don't believe there is any public transportation. Certainly not at the Essex/Charlotte ferry.
Lots of carpooling going on.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:38 PM

I also wonder if some peo

Old 11-18-2014, 01:40 PM

I also wonder if people that travel to Burlington ever thought of taking the train to the Port Kent station and then taking the ferry from there to Burlington. It could be a great alternative way to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York