Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 08:36 AM

14 posts, read 24,804 times

Advertisements

I'd like some information about how the cost of living in and around Corning Community College compares to the rest of NY, in general. I'm from Long Island and I'm looking at a teaching job in CCC, but the salary (about $37K) just seems really low. I know that Long Island has a much higher cost of living, and so the salaries are comparatively higher, but $37K just seems unusually low. With the harsh winters in upstate NY, I'm sure the heating costs are high. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 08:48 AM

92,069 posts, read 122,294,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachbio29 View Post
I'd like some information about how the cost of living in and around Corning Community College compares to the rest of NY, in general. I'm from Long Island and I'm looking at a teaching job in CCC, but the salary (about $37K) just seems really low. I know that Long Island has a much higher cost of living, and so the salaries are comparatively higher, but $37K just seems unusually low. With the harsh winters in upstate NY, I'm sure the heating costs are high. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Overall cost of living in Corning is below the national average. According to another website, it shows that the overall COL is 91 out of 100(national average) and utilities make up about 7-10% of costs.

In terms of snowfall on average, Corning gets about 51-52 inches. That is much lower than the bigger Upstate areas and keep in mind that the area isn't as susceptible to Lake Effect snow due to its location.

I say go for it, as it is a nice small city that offers more than most places of a similar size. It is close enough to bigger areas, to where you can check them out occasionally and the Finger Lakes are very close too.

Here are some apartments in the area: 4 Apartments for Rent in Corning, NY - Apartments.com

elmira apts/housing for rent - craigslist
https://www.walkscore.com/apartments...rning-ny-14830

You may also like nearby communities like Horseheads or Big Flats outside of Elmira.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-23-2014 at 09:15 AM..

Old 11-23-2014, 03:42 PM

Here are some homes from 120k and less in the Corning area and select Elmira suburbs: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 11-23-2014, 08:04 PM

Thank you ckhthankgod...I really do appreciate all the information.

As far as healthcare, are there any top healthcare centers in and around the Corning area. Like I know Roswell Park Cancer Center is in Buffalo. I'm talking about a major healthcare center that can address all healthcare needs.

Also, within the Finger Lakes area, where would say is the least crime, but that is also not a rural area?

Any chance that you are familiar with Corning Community College? I am not, and I was just wondering what kind of reputation it had.

Thanks again!

Old 11-23-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you ckhthankgod...I really do appreciate all the information.

As far as healthcare, are there any top healthcare centers in and around the Corning area. Like I know Roswell Park Cancer Center is in Buffalo. I'm talking about a major healthcare center that can address all healthcare needs.

Also, within the Finger Lakes area, where would say is the least crime, but that is also not a rural area?

Any chance that you are familiar with Corning Community College? I am not, and I was just wondering what kind of reputation it had.

Thanks again!
I'm not sure about Corning CC's reputation.

I wouldn't say that there are any high crime areas in the Finger Lakes. Perhaps some small area in the cities, but I can't think of a city that has a high crime rate. Corning is fine in this regard.

Corning Hospital is a part of this healthcare system: Guthrie

Keep in mind that Corning is home to a Fortune 500 company in Corning Incorporated. So, it has museums, an orchestra, festivals and a nice Downtown: Home : Corning's Gaffer District

Old 11-24-2014, 07:40 AM

Also, if you are looking into another community outside of Corning, are you looking for a bigger city or any community with some vibrancy?

Old 11-24-2014, 10:02 AM

More Corning info: https://www.planning.org/greatplaces/streets/2013/

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...t-streets.html (View threads at the bottom)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...h-ny-help.html

Old 11-24-2014, 08:13 PM

Thanks again for all the info...It's a great help! I like the idea of living upstate New York, but I am a little concerned about the salary. I'm planning a trip to see the Corning area...Again, thank you!

Old 11-25-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks again for all the info...It's a great help! I like the idea of living upstate New York, but I am a little concerned about the salary. I'm planning a trip to see the Corning area...Again, thank you!
Your welcome and if you have any other questions, just ask.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-25-2014 at 07:20 AM..

Old 11-25-2014, 05:31 PM

I looked up information on Corning CC and it appears that it has had some people go on to do some big things. So, it may be a CC where it depends on where the student wants to go after they leave there. It serves many counties in that area of the state too. Corning Community College - SUNY

Corning Community College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York