Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 6,625 times

Advertisements

Through a strange set of circumstances I found myself in Newburgh, NY in Sept 06 and began the renovation of one of the old mansions in the historic district. I had no experience with upstate NY since I am from the West(Idaho, Oregon & Colorado) to be exact. So for the last year and a half I have lived in the old house by myself in the historic district which is in the process of gentrificaton. I have felt very safe, my neighbors have been friendly and I have not worried about be alone in a big, empty old house while I renovate it.

While there still is a lot of litter and the main street is definitely in need of help, there is an energy in Newburgh that is all about renewing itself. Even coming from a upscale, beautiful manicured neighborhood in Idaho, I like the energy in Newburgh. If you want to be part of something that is exciting, challenging and full of energy, just come to Newburgh.

WE are currently forming a Newburgh HomeOwners Association to help drive those changes and help Newburgh reach the full potential of what it has to offer. Stand by, more changes to come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:34 AM

505 posts, read 2,335,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelinks View Post
Through a strange set of circumstances I found myself in Newburgh, NY in Sept 06 and began the renovation of one of the old mansions in the historic district. I had no experience with upstate NY since I am from the West(Idaho, Oregon & Colorado) to be exact. So for the last year and a half I have lived in the old house by myself in the historic district which is in the process of gentrificaton. I have felt very safe, my neighbors have been friendly and I have not worried about be alone in a big, empty old house while I renovate it.

While there still is a lot of litter and the main street is definitely in need of help, there is an energy in Newburgh that is all about renewing itself. Even coming from a upscale, beautiful manicured neighborhood in Idaho, I like the energy in Newburgh. If you want to be part of something that is exciting, challenging and full of energy, just come to Newburgh.

WE are currently forming a Newburgh HomeOwners Association to help drive those changes and help Newburgh reach the full potential of what it has to offer. Stand by, more changes to come!
Lifelinks,

I am glad to hear that you are getting involved in a community that desperately needs some help with driving the changes. It's been a work in progress and things are definitely starting to look better up there.

Keep up the good work!
~Joey

Old 02-03-2008, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 6,550 times
I live in New Windsor, which is just a stone's throw from Newburgh. Yes, the town of Newburgh is much better than the city, but I've never once felt threatened while in the city of Newburgh. Yes, statistics say it's one of the most dangerous cities in New York, but as it's been said, it's highly localized and highly dependent on the time of day. If you watch where and when you go, and use some common sense to minimize the risk to yourself, in reality it is a very safe place.

Thankfully, the city is on the upswing. It's attracting more and more individuals interested in preserving the historical aspect of the city by renovating many of the old and deteriorating buildings in the area. While there is already an Orange County Community College extension center located there in the Key Building, there will be a new campus being built there in the coming years which will do wonders for the community. The Newburgh waterfront has already seen dramatic changes, and is a wonderful place to visit, especially if you're into nightlife.

There's some major construction going on now to make the NYS Thruway and I-84 directly accessible to each other instead of having to get onto Rt. 300, which will help.

If you're familiar with The Discovery Channel show American Choppers, they are building a new showroom/garage in Newburgh which is sure to attract some attention.

And while there is the Newburgh Mall, it's old and has been having trouble keeping tenants. Thankfully there is a new mall going in nearby which will house well over a hundred stores.

Newburgh's future is definately looking bright.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:48 AM

11 posts, read 61,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelinks View Post

I am so glad to read this - my great great grandparents came to newburgh in 1841 - at the time of the potato famine - I visited my grandparents there at least weekly until they died in the mid 1960-s it was once listed in Life magazine as one of the 10 best places in the country to live and it WAS - it breaks my heart to see my grandmothers home trashed and lower Broadway where I used to walk to Fishmans turned into a drug ghetto - I certainly hope youre right and that things are changing - poor Newburgh is in need of a break

Old 03-30-2008, 10:55 AM

667 posts, read 1,743,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Rosado View Post
I am a landlord< I bought a building in the city of Newburgh. Want to know if u have any info about if there is any positive things going to happen over there.
you're confused...
One would hope that if you've bought a piece of property in the city of Newburgh you ALREADY know what's been going on? Unless, you're one of those so admirable slumlords. "ANY positive...", you ask
- Orange County CC already approved will be an $85+million dollar project - brings in jobs and a larger student population
- Leyland waterfront project - $100 million dollar development project along the waterfront
- Stewart Int'l Airport taken over by the NY/NJ PA
- Rt 84 and Rt 87 connection in construction
- Newburgh-Beacon ferry
- Many new families migrating from NYC/NJ area
+ many more....

There are some issues - Quality of life issues - when you have some abandoned buildings, many make the effort to dump away. Grafitti, is an issue. The city is trying to strengthen the code and punish such actions. Community involvement is key. Crime, is much more specific to certain blocks/areas where drugs are being sold. But that's also being addressed aggessively by the police. Personally, they need to walk the beat a bit so that people can feel a sense of community. Right now, it's just patrol cars. That being said, whether it's the upper east side of Manhattan or Newburgh, one should always use some precaution.

Some blocks/sections are beautiful, especially in the Spring-Fall. Other streets/areas will take several years before they start seeing change.
As a Brooklyn native and having seen the transformation of 'Crooklyn' I can tell you that changes happened block by block. Here in the 'suburbs', changes take a bit longer. But as many have mentioned, if you're looking for trouble there are plenty of places (many outside of Newburgh), that can fill that order fairly well. I've been an owner now for 2+ years and so far myfamily and I have enjoyed the stay, the views and the people. This city is ripe with + change and wants to move forward. I'm happy to be part of that revitalization.
Also, take note that Newburgh is quite big for the area. There's something 'for everybody'.

Last edited by lfsr1544; 03-30-2008 at 11:14 AM..

Old 06-09-2008, 06:14 PM

53 posts, read 141,130 times
yeah try walking down benkard ave,robinson ave or any other downtown street after midnight any given night of the week then post in here how newburgh is so great.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:41 AM

197 posts, read 636,070 times
Newburgh is a complete dump. The worst of the worst, take a stroll between 9W and the Hudson you will be shocked. Just lock your doors.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 12,474 times
The fact that Newburgh, NY was chosen to be a test city for water fluoridation and the amount of crime and drug addiction that presently presides in that town is never mentioned is because it was another of our loving government's concern for health and wellbeing and the disposal of toxic waste.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 12,474 times
[url=http://www.healthy-communications.com/fluoridetoxicbomb.html]Fluoride & Manhattan Project[/url] Nice Newburgh go to this site to see what's really going on in Newburgh.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:26 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
you're confused...
One would hope that if you've bought a piece of property in the city of Newburgh you ALREADY know what's been going on? Unless, you're one of those so admirable slumlords. "ANY positive...", you ask
- Orange County CC already approved will be an $85+million dollar project - brings in jobs and a larger student population
- Leyland waterfront project - $100 million dollar development project along the waterfront
- Stewart Int'l Airport taken over by the NY/NJ PA
- Rt 84 and Rt 87 connection in construction
- Newburgh-Beacon ferry
- Many new families migrating from NYC/NJ area
+ many more....

There are some issues - Quality of life issues - when you have some abandoned buildings, many make the effort to dump away. Grafitti, is an issue. The city is trying to strengthen the code and punish such actions. Community involvement is key. Crime, is much more specific to certain blocks/areas where drugs are being sold. But that's also being addressed aggessively by the police. Personally, they need to walk the beat a bit so that people can feel a sense of community. Right now, it's just patrol cars. That being said, whether it's the upper east side of Manhattan or Newburgh, one should always use some precaution.

Some blocks/sections are beautiful, especially in the Spring-Fall. Other streets/areas will take several years before they start seeing change.
As a Brooklyn native and having seen the transformation of 'Crooklyn' I can tell you that changes happened block by block. Here in the 'suburbs', changes take a bit longer. But as many have mentioned, if you're looking for trouble there are plenty of places (many outside of Newburgh), that can fill that order fairly well. I've been an owner now for 2+ years and so far myfamily and I have enjoyed the stay, the views and the people. This city is ripe with + change and wants to move forward. I'm happy to be part of that revitalization.
Also, take note that Newburgh is quite big for the area. There's something 'for everybody'.

Agreed 110%. People like you and many others is what Newburgh needs. We don't need negative energy. If you look at Newburgh crime it mainly has to do with drugs and beef with people.

The major problem Newburgh is facing now is its budget and tax base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York