Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:07 PM

21 posts, read 106,462 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is moving to Newburgh. Is it a safe area? Is affordable housing/apartments available? What about jobs? Can someone in the clerical/office occupation find work to support themselves on (without a college degree)? How big is the Newburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 03:27 PM

505 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by music83lover2001 View Post
I have a friend who is moving to Newburgh. Is it a safe area? Is affordable housing/apartments available? What about jobs? Can someone in the clerical/office occupation find work to support themselves on (without a college degree)? How big is the Newburgh?
It all depends on where in Newburgh your friend is moving to. The CITY of Newburgh can be kind of rough depending on which part of the city you are in. The TOWN of Newburgh is very safe and very nice, but more expensive than the CITY of Newburgh. I would say that's it's affordable in Newburgh, but that all just depends on your friends income level and needs are. You can find apartments for as little as 500 to as much as 1500 a month depending on where it is located. Finding a job of that nature shouldn't be that much of a difficulty, but those things are cyclical and I haven't been in the job market for a long time, so someone else on here may be able to field that question better for you.

Good luck to your friend and don't hesitate to ask anymore questions!

~Joey

Old 01-03-2008, 06:59 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,476,532 times
Last year in the newspaper I saw a picture of a street in Newburgh with a guy (reporter?) walking down the street. When I saw the picture I honestly thought it was Iraq... Buildings were abandoned shells, crappy cars, it looked like a warzone, a ghost town. 2 years ago it was New York State's most dangerous city.

Safe? Not to my knowledge. Maybe in some areas...

Old 01-04-2008, 06:47 PM

505 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Last year in the newspaper I saw a picture of a street in Newburgh with a guy (reporter?) walking down the street. When I saw the picture I honestly thought it was Iraq... Buildings were abandoned shells, crappy cars, it looked like a warzone, a ghost town. 2 years ago it was New York State's most dangerous city.

Safe? Not to my knowledge. Maybe in some areas...
Parts of the CITY of Newburgh are exactly as described above (maybe not as bad, bad enough). But once again, there are better areas around Mount Saint Mary College and By New Windsor.

The TOWN of Newburgh is fine though. That's why I made a point of capitalizing to make the distinction between town and city.

~Joey

Old 01-07-2008, 11:12 AM

88 posts, read 529,648 times
I live in Fishkill NY (Apprx. 10 min away from Newburgh). The city of Newburgh is horrible. Lots of drugs, crime, ets. The town of Newburgh is nice though. Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde thing going on there.

As for availability the clerical/office occupation field, your friend should be able to find work. However, the pay for is not going to be great. I would say that the average is $10-15 per hr. Their best bet is to look at the Pennysaver and the Poughkeepsie Journal for job postings. These are the two ways locals advertise jobs, you won't find much listings on the internet (i.e. Monster or Craig's list). I believe you can find the Pennysaver PDFed online.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:21 PM

72 posts, read 450,986 times
Stay away from the City part of Newburgh!!!!! I had an ex girl that used to live there and I saw all types of posters saying stop the killing. Newburgh is pretty much like the "Wire"

Old 01-10-2008, 05:59 AM

21 posts, read 106,462 times
Default Uh oh

I found out she is going to be moving to Newburgh, the city. Actually, she will be staying in Wallkill, but working in Newburgh, but eventually she plans to move out of Wallkill, I think. If one is just working in Newburgh and living outside the city, would it be safe? Also, can anyone recommend some surrounding areas of Newburgh that would have some affordable/reasonable housing that is in a safe, nice (not rich, just not slums) area?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:16 AM

88 posts, read 529,648 times
I'm sure she will be fine. Most crimes that occur in that area do not occur durring business hours (they reserve that for late night). Wallkill is a good area. Pretty much any other town in Orange County (where Newburgh is) is going to be a nice town.

I live accross the river from Newburgh in Fishkill (Dutchess County). Again, pretty much any place in Dutchess County will also be a nice area (except the city of Poughkeepsie or certain parts of the city of Beacon).

Old 01-11-2008, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 21,193 times
Default What U know about the city?

I am a landlord< I bought a building in the city of Newburgh. Want to know if u have any info about if there is any positive things going to happen over there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetkings01 View Post
Stay away from the City part of Newburgh!!!!! I had an ex girl that used to live there and I saw all types of posters saying stop the killing. Newburgh is pretty much like the "Wire"

Old 01-15-2008, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 24,396 times
There are many parts in Newburgh that are very nice.. Including the city..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York