U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 06:33 AM

6 posts, read 13,250 times

Advertisements

Family with 6 children looking for ideas on which towns to look at in orange county. Have had it with living in Staten Island. Most important factors would be excellent schools and a safe environment in which to raise our children. Would like to remain less than 90 minutes from Staten Island since at first my husband would have to commute back here and my family still lives here. Would also like to be reasonably close driving distance to big stores. Any input on Monroe, Goshen, Warwick, Chester or Florida? Or any other ideas? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 07:40 AM

715 posts, read 2,137,128 times
That is a really, really long commute! Will he have to do it everyday? It could easily be greater than 90 minutes each way, depending on traffic. Could you compromise and check out Rockland or Westchester, or even northern New Jersey, which would keep you closer to NYC?

The communities in Orange County that you named are definitely good starting places. Would be worth a drive north to check them out. If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget?

Old 12-09-2014, 09:47 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,470,264 times
I would definitely test drive that trip back and forth a few times (especially during commuting hours) before seriously considering a home in Orange County.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:42 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,110,489 times
It's a long commute but if you decide on Orange County I would strongly consider Goshen. Low crime rate, good schools and a good place to raise children.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:12 AM

796 posts, read 1,363,625 times
How about central NJ along 78 instead? That'll keep your commute to Staten Island bearable.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:23 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,359,979 times
The towns you mention in Orange, the only way you'll make it make to Staten Island in 90 minutes is if you leave very early in the morning..I mean very early. Towns, avoid Monroe because of the ever increasing Hasidic population which will eventually be running the whole town due to corruption, mismanagement by the secular Town of Monroe town board. Monroe also has highest property taxes in county plus congestion near the Woodbury Commons.
Warwick is very nice, great school district ( top 100 in NY state), but it's hard to get to, I.e. Not near any major highways. Goshen is a little bit further, but their taxes are very high due to no businesses there and the shutdown of the government center since Hurricane Irene in 2011. Florida is nice but also far from main highway. Any other questions feel free to PM or post here. But trust me, avoid Monroe.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:09 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,470,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
The towns you mention in Orange, the only way you'll make it make to Staten Island in 90 minutes is if you leave very early in the morning..I mean very early. Towns, avoid Monroe because of the ever increasing Hasidic population which will eventually be running the whole town due to corruption, mismanagement by the secular Town of Monroe town board. Monroe also has highest property taxes in county plus congestion near the Woodbury Commons.
Warwick is very nice, great school district ( top 100 in NY state), but it's hard to get to, I.e. Not near any major highways. Goshen is a little bit further, but their taxes are very high due to no businesses there and the shutdown of the government center since Hurricane Irene in 2011. Florida is nice but also far from main highway. Any other questions feel free to PM or post here. But trust me, avoid Monroe.
Yes, that pretty much accurately sums it up.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:52 PM

6 posts, read 13,250 times
Which town does everyone suggest if we don't have to commute to Staten Island?

Old 12-30-2014, 02:18 PM

10,824 posts, read 9,251,107 times
I don't know why you fixated on Orange County. I'd go over to NJ. This way, the commute wouldn't be around/through most of the NY metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or