Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:26 AM

137 posts, read 218,341 times

Advertisements

Have lived in both places. Monroe back in the late 80s.

Currently in Hopewell Junction.

You couldnt pay me to live in Monroe nowadays. No way. I dont like the Orange County area anymore. It was a great place to live decades ago, but IMHO its really went downhill in the 90s and has continued to get worse, much worse since.

Hopewell Junction is less crowded, and much nicer. The area has some great places to eat nearby. 84 right into Connecticut .. PA is a hour west. 684 is close by which will take you towards the city. Any kind of shopping and eating is available nearby... in Wappingers, East Fishkill, Poughkeepsie and so on.

Gas right now is in the 2.70 - 2.90 range depending on where you go. Closer to 84 and the Taconic will run you a bit more.
Hopewell was actually on a best places to live in the US list some years back. Schools here are considered to be very good.

I travel to Waldwick often and its about a hour taking 84 and the thruway or you can go Bear Mountain to the Palisades, which will get you to the northern NJ and Nyack area in about 50 minutes.

From Hopewell you can catch the train from Beacon into NYC. The drive taking the Taconic is about a hour and 15 minutes.

As for taxes, ours arent near 10k, theyre much less for a house valued at the mid400s.

Please buy my house so I can get the hell out of NY

Last edited by Scorpio1969; 12-23-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 11:57 AM

628 posts, read 662,709 times
Was just informed that taxes on a new build in Dutchess are 2.3%. a new build in Orange is 3.5%. Looks like its a no-brainer to move at this point. Too bad because we really did like Orange.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:58 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,494 times
Orange is done. And I live in Orange.

Mismanagement, overcrowding, corruption ( see Kiryas Joel) has ruined what was probably one of the best places to live in this state. I'm getting out as soon as I can.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:43 AM

192 posts, read 403,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Was just informed that taxes on a new build in Dutchess are 2.3%. a new build in Orange is 3.5%. Looks like its a no-brainer to move at this point. Too bad because we really did like Orange.
Were you going to do a new build either way? Were you going to even move if you stayed? I ask because there are so many other expenses to consider (moving, new furnishings, taxes, cost of house, etc.) and I didn't pick up that you were looking to move houses either way so I hope you are considering all aspects.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2015, 09:29 AM

214 posts, read 197,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio1969 View Post
Have lived in both places. Monroe back in the late 80s.

You couldnt pay me to live in Monroe nowadays. No way. I dont like the Orange County area anymore. It was a great place to live decades ago, but IMHO its really went downhill in the 90s and has continued to get worse, much worse since.
Not to derail the thread from the OP, but I'm just a little curious as to why you say this. Specifically as a former resident of OC, who has seen its recent growth, why would you say the area is in decline? I understand everyone's frustration with Kiryas Joel.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:15 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,603 times
To be honest, if not for the Kiryas Joel issue, I love Monroe hands down.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:40 PM

137 posts, read 218,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB1220 View Post
Not to derail the thread from the OP, but I'm just a little curious as to why you say this. Specifically as a former resident of OC, who has seen its recent growth, why would you say the area is in decline? I understand everyone's frustration with Kiryas Joel.

Its not KJ. Basically, its just too crowded and expensive.

If I had no choice but to live in the area, Id choose something on the outskirts, like Warwick, Pine Island, Minisink, Pine Bush area.

Like I said, great place a few decades ago, now its overrun/congested and expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York