U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:40 PM

56,060 posts, read 80,155,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I'd like to know this as well. I just compared Bath NY to one of the Towns the OP mentioned (Berea KY) and I found Bath's taxes to be 2% higher and the median home value to be 50 grand less in Bath. I'm not sure about electrical costs, but I seriously doubt they'd be so different that there would be a significant difference. I bet if the OP actually did a calculated comparison instead of just arguing on the stereotypical complaints that they'd find Upstate NY to be very comparable to living in any of the mentioned areas and in most cases, the overall costs would be less when considering every factor. I'd like to see an actual home for sale to compare against in the areas they've mentioned instead of just blanket generalizations.
Also, I posted homes that were 150,000 and lower that fit the criteria. So, the OP can view homes that are much lower than 180,000 that fit the criteria mentioned.

I also believe that those that are disabled get about 50% of their property taxes exempt. If the OP contacts the Division of Veterans' Affairs, they will tell him/her what the exemption percentage is based on the disabled percentage. That percentage is set by the VA.

I'm not a disabled Vet, but I'm a Vet that gets STAR and the Vets exemption.

Another thing is that there are other locations besides Bath with VA facilities in Upstate NY: New York - Locations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 03:09 PM

2,017 posts, read 2,118,065 times
Yes a 100 percent P&T vet, gets half the amount of his rating off the assessed value of his home, on property taxes, so for me that would be 50 percent off the assessed value, for town and country taxes in NY, plus, another 15 percent for combat vets, on top, so that is not bad, and I did not realize this existed in NY state until I called up a Veterans rep in NY, and also the county assessor in Warren county. Good deal actually, then also the Star exemption electricity about 400 dollars off the school tax, which is separate from the town and county tax. Trouble is imo, the electricity rates , being the 4th highest in the USA, and cost of heating during the long winters, the cost of car insurance, and I don't even know if NY state requires yearly taxes and inspections on cars.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:10 PM

2,017 posts, read 2,118,065 times
I been looking at Queensbury and surrounding areas.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Yes a 100 percent P&T vet, gets half the amount of his rating off the assessed value of his home, on property taxes, so for me that would be 50 percent off the assessed value, for town and country taxes in NY, plus, another 15 percent for combat vets, on top, so that is not bad, and I did not realize this existed in NY state until I called up a Veterans rep in NY, and also the county assessor in Warren county. Good deal actually, then also the Star exemption electricity about 400 dollars off the school tax, which is separate from the town and county tax. Trouble is imo, the electricity rates , being the 4th highest in the USA, and cost of heating during the long winters, the cost of car insurance, and I don't even know if NY state requires yearly taxes and inspections on cars.
There aren't any taxes on cars and a yearly inspection is a whopping 21 dollars.

This is why it is important to check specific information about exemptions, as I knew that you qualified to a big reduction in property taxes.

Would you consider a community that gets its power from NYPA like Plattsburgh? I believe that it has a VA facility as well. Here's the map for NYPA and the VA facility list: http://nypa.gov/about/images/MuniCoopMap.jpg

New York - Locations

Also, if you don't already have it, look into USAA for auto insurance.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:08 PM

What else are you looking for? Walkability? Rural, suburban, urban? Access to a VA Health Center? Open to a NYPA service area for lower utilities? Proximity to shopping, events, outdoor amenities, etc?

Old 08-24-2015, 05:47 PM

9 posts, read 19,151 times
I know this is an older thread, but a disabled vet isn't necessarily getting 50% of their VA disability rating off town/county taxes.
All the areas I've looked at in the last year have a max on what that reduction is. So depending on the price of the house, it helps, but it isn't anything near a 50% reduction in your property and school taxes.
Unfortunately, NY isn't a large military area, there are a few areas, but by and far, you aren't going to find assessors that fully understand the veterans reductions without having to figure it out themselves as well.

Best bet is to figure out what areas are of interest and then make some calls.
And FYI... the taxes listed on realtor/zillow/etc aren't always very accurate. You can usually find current tax roles online or find the assessment and the tax rates. Or call a realtor - the taxes that go with the listing agent better be accurate and they will know if what is stated includes any exemptions.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLWR View Post
I know this is an older thread, but a disabled vet isn't necessarily getting 50% of their VA disability rating off town/county taxes.
All the areas I've looked at in the last year have a max on what that reduction is. So depending on the price of the house, it helps, but it isn't anything near a 50% reduction in your property and school taxes.
Unfortunately, NY isn't a large military area, there are a few areas, but by and far, you aren't going to find assessors that fully understand the veterans reductions without having to figure it out themselves as well.

Best bet is to figure out what areas are of interest and then make some calls.
And FYI... the taxes listed on realtor/zillow/etc aren't always very accurate. You can usually find current tax roles online or find the assessment and the tax rates. Or call a realtor - the taxes that go with the listing agent better be accurate and they will know if what is stated includes any exemptions.
I've noticed within the past few years, many listings will say "without STAR". Exemptions for disabled Cest may depend on the percentage, but check on that. A disabled Vet may/should be able to get Enhanced STAR and the Veterans Exemption. Here is the info on property tax exemptions: Property tax exemptions

Old 08-25-2015, 08:22 AM

5,816 posts, read 13,247,256 times
Default Veterans Combat Exemptions

Also a veteran living in Saratoga gets an exemption for EACH conflict he was in during his years of service, along with an exemption for his/her disability, depending upon the percentage.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,432 times
I am also looking at moving back to NY after more than 30 years on the West Coast. The original poster was correct that taxes are high, but you need to add other costs in. Not only does New York State not tax social security benifits, it does not tax small pensions, public or private, up to certain amounts. Not other state in the Northeast gives this break except New Hampshire. There are senior exemptions on property taxes that have also been discussed, again few states in the Northeast give these. You also have to consider services, especially for Seniors and the disabled. NY has more of these than any of the other states mentioned. Compared to California, I would suggest that you get more than you realize in upstate NY. We pay huge annual car registration fees here, even on older, modest vehicles. Many upstate communities have a great deal to offer in terms of quality of life. I am originally from the Capital District but am now looking to buy a home west of there as far as Geneva, a truly beautiful town. My only reservation with Geneva, is it is easily an hour away from an Amtrak station. Can anyone suggest any of the towns around Syracuse, Rome or even areas/neighborhoods perhaps on the outskirts of Syracuse or Rome? Thank you!

Old 01-30-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycalpal View Post
I am also looking at moving back to NY after more than 30 years on the West Coast. The original poster was correct that taxes are high, but you need to add other costs in. Not only does New York State not tax social security benifits, it does not tax small pensions, public or private, up to certain amounts. Not other state in the Northeast gives this break except New Hampshire. There are senior exemptions on property taxes that have also been discussed, again few states in the Northeast give these. You also have to consider services, especially for Seniors and the disabled. NY has more of these than any of the other states mentioned. Compared to California, I would suggest that you get more than you realize in upstate NY. We pay huge annual car registration fees here, even on older, modest vehicles. Many upstate communities have a great deal to offer in terms of quality of life. I am originally from the Capital District but am now looking to buy a home west of there as far as Geneva, a truly beautiful town. My only reservation with Geneva, is it is easily an hour away from an Amtrak station. Can anyone suggest any of the towns around Syracuse, Rome or even areas/neighborhoods perhaps on the outskirts of Syracuse or Rome? Thank you!
Liverpool just north/NW of Syracuse isn't too far from the train station in Syracuse and may be worth a look. Nice village with a nice, big county park; along with some restaurants, a library, grocery store and other businesses in a nice walkable environment. Village of Liverpool - Village of Liverpool

Greater Liverpool Chamber

Within Syracuse, the Court-Woodlawn neighborhood north of Grant Boulevard/east of LeMoyne Avenue and into Lyncourt(a suburb in the town of Salina) may be worth a look. Court-Woodlawn Task Force: Click on Map of our Court-Woodlawn area

In terms of Rome, the train station is on that city's South Side and there are more rural and suburban parts of the city that could work. Westmoreland is a town not too far away that may work too. Rome's train station is on the other side of the Erie Canal for its Little Italy neighborhood around East Dominick Street via the Mill Street bridge. http://romenewyork.com/wp-content/up...a_Rome-BOA.pdf

Utica also has a train station in the Baggs Square area of Downtown and North Utica is a part of that city that may work, as it has more of a suburban feel. Marcy and Deerfield just outside of North Utica are towns that may also work. https://m.facebook.com/BaggsSquare/

New Life in Utica's Oldest Neighborhood: Bagg's Square - Made In Utica

Hope this helps....

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-30-2017 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or