Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,400 times

Advertisements

Many of the Plattsburgh threads were old so I wanted to renew the conversation.

My wife has been offered a solid health position in both Plattsburgh, NY and Williston, VT (even approached by someone in Stowe!). The one in Plattsburgh is better pay, but we may identify more with Burlington as a town. I am from Seattle, she from Pittsburgh PA, and (name implied) we love diverse food and good city services are a must (hospitals namely). We do not have children but that could change in the near future. We are 30ish, enjoy going out to eat occasionally, I love mountains/lakes/evergreens and she loves light hiking/skiing/boating, and both of us lean liberal.

If employment and children were not an issue, where would you move?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 10:18 PM

91,970 posts, read 122,044,192 times
It may depend on if you value a better nightlife more than affordability. There are ferries that go across Lake Champlain. Plattsburgh is a little bit closer to Montreal than Burlington, if that even matters. Burlington will be more liberal eventhough Plattsburgh has voted in an openly gay mayor in recent years.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:59 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,164,659 times
I like Plattsburgh. Your close to Montreal , the Adirondacks. The Adirondacks is just beautiful everything you could ask for in hiking, skiing, boating, swimming etc. But Plattsburgh does have more of a small town feel. Have you looked at cost of living between the two. Looked at the cost of rent or purchase of homes? That may help you with the deciding factor.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:16 PM

5,285 posts, read 6,083,303 times
I would choose Burlington. Plattsburgh is for hayseeds. However, there is a cloud hanging over the city. The biggest industrial and high tech employer in Vermont, Global Foundries (formerly IBM) in Essex Junction may opt to shut down their fabrication operations in the near future throwing thousands out of work. That would put a pall over the economy of the region.

Are you physicians? If you are there are lots of openings all over the country. Why move to one of the coldest parts of the USA?

Old 01-10-2015, 01:54 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,164,659 times
Plattsburgh is in the country not the city, if you want city living then you move to a city. I have never thought of Plattsburgh for hayseeds. ˆ think its a good quality way of life. I have lived all over including Europe and I would move to Plattsburgh if it wasn't for the cold winters. That I just can't take since I have asthma and its hard to breathe in the cold like that. The summer months I enjoy visiting its just beautiful.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:00 PM

172 posts, read 844,308 times
I had heard that because of the proximity and cost of living differences, that some folks opt to keep small studio apartments in Burlington and own larger properties in Plattsburgh that they "go home to" on the weekends. But it's hearsay, I dunno how often that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: