U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:37 PM

897 posts, read 1,615,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Shibainu,

People thinking they will get rich my buying a home is what has gotten us into this awful financial mess in the first place. This is what has caused a family to now have to squeeze into a 1000 sq ft home in many places when you can easily have one three times the size for a quarter of the price upstate and be a lot more comfortable in the process.
I remember reading in the New York Post in 2005 about a man that he lived in CA and had Arm on his house. All he could do is Pay the interest on the 600k home. Please tell me how a family making 45k -70k can afford a 600k home. Flipping was the dream to get the average joe rich.

I'll I am trying to say in this forum that CA is no better than NYS. So to say NYS state is better because you had a bad experience in CA does not hold up in my book. I find both states to be equally challenge. I think both states have governments that want to do good for there people but they burden the taxpayer with too many responsibilities. Now NYS is thinking about cutting taxes but I hope they do it without strings. They want to reduce taxes on the corporations to keep them here but who will pick up the tab.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:42 PM

2,914 posts, read 7,114,670 times
You need to read more carefully. I didn't say a thing about CA.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
You need to read more carefully. I didn't say a thing about CA.
I read your post. And I was responding by giving an example of the financial mess. Evidently you do not understand how conversations work.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:16 PM

148 posts, read 441,089 times
At least there are JOBS in California. There are NONE here. Except government jobs that is. Private sector jobs are leaving in droves and have been for decades. Bass Pro is hiring...........if they ever build it. By the way, they had to BRIBE a retail outfit like BAss Pro to build in Buffalo with MILLIONS of TAXPAYER DOLLARS. Retail jobs..........$10 to $14 an hour if you're lucky. What a disgrace!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:04 AM

75 posts, read 212,831 times
Please, then go to California.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:48 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,041,297 times
It's time for some NY residents to take the Bull by the horns. By that I mean be proactive and not reactive. Start a business and make things happen. Volunteer in your community to make it a better place.

I whole heartedly endorse the negative comments as well as the positive that we see concerning the pitfalls and great things about living and working in the Northeast. At least people have the guts to speak up when they believe things are bad. It shows they at least give a damn and quite possibly may even care.

Here in KC everybody seems to be in lala land when it comes to living and working here. About the only time I see people grouse is in the work place. Virtually every place stinks here as far as employment is concerned. Very little community spirit exists here and I don't believe anyone really cares very much about trying to better themselves or their communities. Mostly it's just "I'll look out for myself and to hell with the rest of you". And when you speak up and are critical about the place then people get bent out of shape. Just this week while in a local supermarket I mentioned to a cashier that their French Bread was awful. It is. You should have seen the look on her face when I said that. It looked like she was ready to cry. In a normal business or in this case, region, someone would take that criticism more positively and deem that the product needs some improvement. Try to special order something in KC? Forget it. Take what's on the shelf. At least I did not find that attitude in Buffalo or other areas of WNY except Medina.

I am taking my own advice. If I do indeed move to NY I'll be finding whatever job I can get and then following that I'll start up a small proprietorship on the side. That business will be highly visible and have a positive impact in the community.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:05 PM

75 posts, read 212,831 times
I second that, WILWRadio. A lot of people in this country believe that they are entitled to have everything handed to them on a silver platter--especially jobs. And then, when they are not readily available, people like to come to this forum and whine because life is hard. Guess what kiddos--LIFE IS HARD. So you can't find a job in WNY (or wherever you may be). Two options: MOVE, or do something about it. This attitude of entitlement that is all-too-prevalent in the US is going to hurt us, especially now with China and India hot on our tails. So here's some advice for the whiners: be grateful for what you have, and work hard for what you want. Because you never know when it might be taken away.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:12 PM

1,293 posts, read 2,765,992 times
Hi, this is one of my first posts. I wanted to ask a question on another thread but this caught my eye.

I grew up in Lockport, which is a suburb of Buffalo. My fiance and I moved from Buffalo to Raleigh, NC and then moved back to NY and settled in east Rochester.

We thought the same thing as many people do when living in upstate NY, better jobs down south, warmer weather, better life overall. After we moved however, the first thing we noticed when we moved there was the extremly congested traffic and the lack of roadways. We had no idea the city was basically built on urban spral. Which is basically a housing development with a shopping center built ontop of one another. No real downtown with all the nice shops and restaurants.

The second thing we noticed was the lack of culture, sure its there in a way. But you don't feel it like you do in NY, there are too many people that have relocated to that area in a short amount of time. You don't get the wide variety of restaurants or bars like you do here. For the most part, from what we saw, are chain restaurants in shopping centers.

Also consider the landscape, Raleigh is very flat, just like Buffalo. There are a couple of small lakes. But, again, we have the Finger lakes, lake Erie, Ontario and Niagara Falls. I guarentee you won't find a set of waterfalls like that anywhere else in the country. NC does have the ocean a couple of hours away however.

Then we became homesick, my entire family lives in or around Buffalo. My job at the time paid good but wasn't great. We thought we were stuck because NY couldn't get us a decent job with income.

We ended up applying for jobs back home, I found a job in Rochester and my fiance found one around Victor a little while later. And because of cost of living we actually are making a tiny bit more.

Take it for what it's worth, but really consider your options when you move away from NY. NY reached it's peak in the `50's like most of the great lakes. Everyone is settled in, there is culture here and you don't have to worry about wildfires, hurricanes, earthquakes, extreme heat, and for the most part, tornados or illegal immigrants. Just some snow.

For all the people who complain about where they live, try living somewhere else first.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:04 AM

79 posts, read 169,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpd View Post
To be closer to my elderly parents and extended family and lend support to them.

Now why are you all so negative about NY?
Do you still live there? If so, then remember
Abraham Lincoln's quote that your as happy
as you allow yourself to be.

Yes, NY property taxes are higher, but you get a lot for it.
In Albany I lived in center square and would walk to free
iceskating rinks, museums, summer concerts every week,
opera in the park etc. In CA there are no operas in the park
and all the other stuff you have to pay for ... even the iceskating
($6 for 2 hours and $3 for skate hire). I fondly recall seeing
Elton John, Billy Joel at the Albany Pepsi arena for $25 in 2004.
In CA the parking is $15 and tickets $80+

So my property taxes in NY were $6K and in CA will be $4K but
I easily got $2K of entertainment from the city because I went
out and made use of the facilities/shows etc. It's what you make
of it.
There are some people who seem to have nothing better to do than bash New York state. Despite rational ideas, opinions, or thoughts, you will never change their narrow minded views of NY. So, I've decided not to read their posts! I'm so tired of the negativity!!!

I moved to the southeast (Georgia) where the population increases by about 150,000 people or more per year! I totally understand the challenges of living in an area with uncontrolled population growth. Traffic is so out of control that I don't bother to go anywhere unless it's necessary! Dealing with the chaos during the work week is more than enough for me. It is so frustrating when it takes 1 hr. & 15 min. to travel less than 30 miles! The cost of living here increases constantly as more people move here from the West coast and the Northeast seeking a "lower cost of living". What will happen when it costs just as much to live here as it does in the high cost areas that you are fleeing?

Old 01-13-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl1216 View Post
There are some people who seem to have nothing better to do than bash New York state. Despite rational ideas, opinions, or thoughts, you will never change their narrow minded views of NY. So, I've decided not to read their posts! I'm so tired of the negativity!!!

I moved to the southeast (Georgia) where the population increases by about 150,000 people or more per year! I totally understand the challenges of living in an area with uncontrolled population growth. Traffic is so out of control that I don't bother to go anywhere unless it's necessary! Dealing with the chaos during the work week is more than enough for me. It is so frustrating when it takes 1 hr. & 15 min. to travel less than 30 miles! The cost of living here increases constantly as more people move here from the West coast and the Northeast seeking a "lower cost of living". What will happen when it costs just as much to live here as it does in the high cost areas that you are fleeing?
You are calling me narrow minded because I have a different viewpoint. Look at what you wrote. You are saying negative things about the south. Are they real problems? Yes. You do not see me bashing you for your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York