U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What is your general view of NYC as an Upstate NYer
Love it! 12 42.86%
Hate it! 9 32.14%
No strong feelings 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2015, 11:48 AM

168 posts, read 64,977 times

Advertisements

Question for upstate NYers. What is your general view of NYC

- Love it! It is wonderful to have one of the greatest cities in the world within a relatively short drive or flight away. You love the diversity, endless entertainment options, and everything else that comes with being one of the largest cities in the world, etc, etc, etc.

- Hate it! I love NY state but I would never set foot in that terrible city. It is overpopulated, people are so rude, things are so expensive, NYC controls the rest of the state, etc, etc, etc.

- No strong feelings
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 12:43 PM

213 posts, read 117,734 times
Love it, we are lucky to have it in our state. It's a world-class city. Yes, it often steals the spotlight from the rest of the state, but upstate wouldn't function as it does without that city [waits for uproar]. I don't believe we could have our SUNY system, our infrastructure, and our tourism without NYC.

The biggest thing I would change about having NYC in the state is creating separate laws for small businesses for the NYC metro as opposed to the rest of the state. The state can be a little overbearing on small businesses upstate due to the regulations in place for downstate's population and level of commerce.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:58 PM

3,709 posts, read 2,139,537 times
I voted "love it".

I couldn't live there, but I like to visit, and frankly, without it, my guess is that without NYC's wealth and social progressivism, New York would be battling the likes of Kansas for the "most socially backwards state" and the likes of Missisippi and New Mexico for "poorest state".

If you don't believe me, consider the last two "Upstaters" who ran for governor for the GOP, Carl Paladino and Rob Astorino. At least Astorino was not a total embarrassment, just out of touch with anyone who was not a social conservative and gun nut, but Paladino embodied ignoramous and buffoon as politician. I mean, c'mon, the cretin tried to claim that not forcing his mistress to abort his illegimate child, and then "voluntarily" supporting said child demonstrated his "family values". Really? Well, I guess that might have been true if Paladino hadn't already been married and if he hadn't kept the existence of his child secret from his wife for decade.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:12 PM

33,547 posts, read 41,157,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I voted "love it".

I couldn't live there, but I like to visit, and frankly, without it, my guess is that without NYC's wealth and social progressivism, New York would be battling the likes of Kansas for the "most socially backwards state" and the likes of Missisippi and New Mexico for "poorest state".

If you don't believe me, consider the last two "Upstaters" who ran for governor for the GOP, Carl Paladino and Rob Astorino. At least Astorino was not a total embarrassment, just out of touch with anyone who was not a social conservative and gun nut, but Paladino embodied ignoramous and buffoon as politician. I mean, c'mon, the cretin tried to claim that not forcing his mistress to abort his illegimate child, and then "voluntarily" supporting said child demonstrated his "family values". Really? Well, I guess that might have been true if Paladino hadn't already been married and if he hadn't kept the existence of his child secret from his wife for decade.
I don't know if it would in the running for one the poorest states, as the GDP for Upstate was on par with NC not that long ago.

Politically, the rest of the state outside is moderate, with leanings one way or the other.

Personally, I picked no strong feelings, but I like having NYC in NY State.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:33 AM

338 posts, read 126,642 times
Absolutely love it. There isn't much I don't love about it. I can get on the Megabus sometimes for like $10 and be down there in the same time it'd take me to drive my own car there.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:34 AM

10 posts, read 2,981 times
a little too crowded for myself. nice to visit.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:02 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,901,423 times
I love it.

To visit. Never to live.

It would have advantages if it was in a different state but not a dealbreaker as Upstate is almost as leftwing.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:50 AM

168 posts, read 64,977 times
So what are some of the reasons why upstaters hate NYC?

Old 03-03-2015, 09:29 PM

409 posts, read 135,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBlair View Post
Love it.

Younger generation Upstate NYers 18-35 probably love it much more than older generation or baby boomers.

We're the first generation that has social media and Facebook, and friends from college that we're in touch with every second of the day, whereas our parents are older and more domesticated.

I probably go down to the city once a month, sometimes more than that. My parents cant fathom that. Generational gap I say.

Our generation is more mobile and connected. Half of my friends from HS are probably in NYC.

You go to SUNY schools and you room with tons of NYC and LI people.

New York State has never been interconnected better than now.
Baby boomers don't "have" Facebook? Weird that they don't allow baby boomers on it.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:32 PM

409 posts, read 135,839 times
but in all seriousness gt87...I love NYC. It's a great city. I personally would never live there though. It's a city that is peaking and I prefer to be in a city that is a big enough to have the anemities of a big city, but small enough to make my mark.

But yes, I do definitely appreciate having NYC in our state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: