Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 06:33 AM

240 posts, read 1,155,865 times

Advertisements

good old spring valley ny. Nice place good fire dept ok police dept. Alos of Orthodox which are taking over much of the area. Home prices go down, traffic goes up and they think they own the place with little concern for the others. Stay in nyc if you work there. Gas prices are out of control and mass transit sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 07:12 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy1977 View Post
I would like feedback (crime, diversity, convenience to main highway, potential for property value to increase) about Spring Valley, New York. I am particularly interested in info about Country Village Heights condominiums or any other town homes.. I am a single African American woman considering buying a town home in the area and I will be commuting to the Bronx for work on a daily basis.
You will likely need to drive over the Tappan Zee. Not a fun commute. And on a Thursday or Friday before a holiday prepare to spend hours and hours.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:55 PM

10 posts, read 62,684 times
I moved from Nanuet, last October and was right on the border of Spring Valley and in it's school district. The schools in SV are horrible. There are definitely some parts you want to avoid.
We moved to get a better quality education from my sons.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:17 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times
The question is why would anyone want to move to Spring Valley? Just drive through the area, talk to people, and then head towards Monsey. There are so many nicer areas in Rockland -

Old 06-12-2008, 11:42 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
I would probably avoid it. One of my good friends lives there (he is 23 years old, no family). Half the time I enter a convenience store or whatever there I get offered to buy drugs.

And this one time the guy working in the store was a pimp and told me that for $60 he could get me a girl....

I would definitely avoid that town if you have kids or are buying a house there. If your just renting its probably not so bad cause I dont feel like its dangerous. Just a little shady and I wouldnt want my kids living there.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:16 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,764 times
I grew up in Monsey (now called Chestnut Ridge). I went to both SVJH, and SVHS, and graduated with honors from RCC. When did you graduate high school? I graduated in '84. I agree, back in the day, it was nice and relatively safe. But we knew to stay away from certain areas of Spring Valley ie:"The Hill." (unless of course we wanted a certain thing to smoke..)

My husband & I have been living in S. FLorida now for about 11 years. Our kids are being raised here as well. I do have very fond memories of Rockland. I am grateful to be raised there. However, when I come back up to visit, I don't even recognize it anymore...kinda sad...Plus, almost my entire neighborhood has turned into a haven for the Orthodox Jews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyInNC View Post
I grew up in Spring Valley, Went to Spring Valley Sr high School. Back in the day it was nice.. and safe..it is not anymore... I dont recommend it. It is becoming a rental community..So no one takes pride in their properties anymore. Drive around RT 59 first thing in the morning..Also visit the local PD..and ask to look at the Blotter for all the Calls for service..

Old 06-15-2008, 05:03 PM

24 posts, read 109,291 times
Spring Valley has one of the largest numbers of homes in foreclosure in Rockland County. Sure, there are many foreclosures in the nation as a whole, but that place has the most. I'm not too familiar with Rockland County, but from what I've been reading Spring Valley seems depressed.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:56 AM

9 posts, read 58,315 times
84? I graduated 6th grade at south madison in 86. Graduated HS in 1992.Went in the Air Force afterwards.SVH School was still good then...But now its a Hell Hole. Parents still live there.Near the old South madison School. We moved there in 75 .They are getting ready to move south..Old timers have it harder to leave because they were there when it was nice and its harder for them to give up all those fond memories.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 12,678 times
Smile Spring Valley, New York

By what standard does one judge how good a school is?

All I know is that every year, they have graduates going to top notch universities. This year, for instance, of the limited number of friends/acquaintances my daughter has who've just graduated from Spring Valley High School, two (2) are going to Harvard, one to Stanford, one to Barnard, two to Cornell U., some to Brown, 2 to NYU, etc. It's rather impressive. From that list, they are no inferior than any other school in Rockland. My daughter did not go to Spring Valley, but I am sending my son there for his freshman year.

Stats only tell part of the story. Some schools pay more attention to their numbers than others.

If a family expects their child to learn and the child wants to learn, I believe Spring Valley has all the resources available to make that child's education a success.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-22-2008 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: No advertising

Old 07-22-2008, 03:18 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
Stay away from Spring Valley. Horrible schools and, in general, a low income, high crime area. Last year (or the year before), there was a stabbing at the high school. To my knowledge, there are a number of gangs there as well.
That's not surprising. On the streets there you see a lot of men standing on the side of the street in groups, usually Hispanic immigrants, looking for someone to pull up and offer them quick jobs (and people do offer them jobs). Very low income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York