Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:04 PM

648 posts, read 3,081,133 times

Advertisements

hello friendly upstate newyorkers! which cities/towns in upstate ny have a farmers market?? what are they like etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 03:46 PM

216 posts, read 374,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
hello friendly upstate newyorkers! which cities/towns in upstate ny have a farmers market?? what are they like etc.
Albany has a good but small one on the Rockerfeller plaza
Wednesday and Thursdays during
the week Spring till Fall. Authentic, nothing with stickers on them. Just F+V
During Friday under the plaza there is more biscuits and chocloates
in the Rockerfeller concourse.

Troy has an excellent big one all year round Sat morning.
Summer's is by the river and
winters is next to the Uncle Sam's parking lot. Not just food F+V but also wines,
biscuits.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:53 PM

88 posts, read 529,663 times
There are farmers markets ALL over Dutchess County. I love them. Fresh and organic. In each town there is a specific location that is visited by the farmers market on specific days. There are also farmers markets right on a couple of farms we have over here too (the apple orchard in Wappingers Falls and the Red Oaks Mill Farm in the town of Poughkeepsie/ Lagrange). They are all great. I'm sure I can find out more details if you would like me too.

I hope this is helpful

Old 01-15-2008, 04:19 PM

417 posts, read 1,887,276 times
Try this:

Farmers' Markets - LocalHarvest

I also can't recommend highly enough joining a CSA during the growing season. It guarantees the farmer a stable income for the season, guarantees you a weekly supply of fresh, local veggies (and often fruit), it will 'force' you to cook at home more and to try new things. It also creates a direct relationship with the farmer and they'll usually respond to 'requests' for favorites/new things for the next season.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:39 PM

648 posts, read 3,081,133 times
lol thanks honeychrome the market may very well get me to cook more at home! i'll be visiting upstate the first week of june scouting out a future home. it would be fun to go to some farmers markets. and, i'd like a fm close to where i live. the link you provided is great!! there are a LOT of markets. thank you very much! thanks for the info everyone!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:36 PM

3,495 posts, read 9,385,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
Odd… that website didn't include the farmers markets in Manlius or Liverpool. Not that it matters, but Baldwinsville used to have one a couple years ago, not sure why it stopped?

For the Syracuse area....here is a list of farmers markets in Onondaga County

Syracuse/Central New York Regional Market: 2100 Park Street, Hiawatha Road, Syracuse, Saturday/Sunday 7 a.m. - 2 p.m; Thursdays 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. July 1 - November 15; 422-8647.

Camillus Farmers Market: Camillus Municipal Building lawn, 4600 W. Genesee Street, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Fridays, to Oct. 19; 488-1234.

Manlius Farmers Market: Municipal parking lot behind Sno Top, along Arkie Albanese Avenue, 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Wednesdays, Noon - 4:00 p.m. Sundays to September 30; 682-7887.

Syracuse Downtown Farmers Market: Parking lot at South Salina and West Washington streets; 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays to Oct 16; 422-8284.

Skaneateles Farmers Market: Skaneateles Community Center parking lot, 97 State Street, 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Thursdays to October 11; 685-6427.

Liverpool/Bayberry Plaza Farmers Market: Bayberry Plaza Kinney lot, Route 57 (Oswego Road) at Blackberry Road, Liverpool; Wednesdays Noon - 6 p.m. July 11 - November 7; 437-1899. Ext. 222.

Syracuse Eastside Farmers Market: Lexington Ave. at Lexington Park; Thursdays 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. July 25 - October 25

Department of Aging And Youth (http://www.ongov.net/Aging_and_Youth/nutrition.html - broken link)

Old 01-15-2008, 06:31 PM

417 posts, read 1,887,276 times
The 'blog' section on the site doesn't have anything since September, so maybe the site hasn't been recently updated.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:03 PM

473 posts, read 2,747,617 times
ithaca has a pretty huge farmers market, in a regular building open every weekend, except for in the winter.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:41 PM

148 posts, read 646,684 times
Ask your farmer where he grows and what it's fertilized with. If it's grown in the fields around the Hamburg NY Farmers Market, you might be better off shopping at the supermarket. Massive manure slurry spreading that is totally out of control in Eden and North Collins NY. It should be starting up in a month or so and continue until April or even MAy. Its a sight and smell like nothing you've ever witnessed before and I can assure you that it would sicken you to even think of eating anything from these fields. The manure slurry sits in puddles for days and even weeks.
KNOW YOUR FARMER before you buy his goods.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:23 AM

382 posts, read 1,527,191 times
Ithaca and Troy have nice, large ones with a variety of merchandise. binghamton has one and I understand there are a couple in Buffalo. Most cities in upstate NY have such markets most are seasonal though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York