Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 05:51 PM

9 posts, read 86,145 times

Advertisements

My husband had a car that was insured, and it stopped working. He junked the car, took the insurance off, but never returned the plates to the DMV. I can't remember how long ago the car was junked but it was probably 6+months ago. Apparently the insurance company never notified the DMV of the loss of coverage, and his registration is still active. We never got any letters in the mail or anything. If he mails in the plates at this point, will there be consequences? He is afraid of his license being suspended since he drives for a living. I am wondering if when he returns them, will they check for the insurance and see how long it has been inactive. We would have to pay some pretty hefty fines if they checked the date of the insurance. Has anyone had experience in this or information about this? I'm hoping he can just mail them back and be done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 05:05 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Even if one notifies the insurance, the registration of the car will not be canceled until the plates are returned to the DMV or one has brought to the DMV a police report that the plates were stolen (with or without the car).

Old 04-24-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Even if one notifies the insurance, the registration of the car will not be canceled until the plates are returned to the DMV or one has brought to the DMV a police report that the plates were stolen (with or without the car).
The issue is not notifying the insurance. The car no longer has insurance since the car no longer exists. My question is about the consequences of not returning the license plates sooner, since according to the DMV this car is still registered. If they look into it, we are afraid they will think he has had the car this whole time but uninsured.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:18 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Take the plates into a DMV center and surrender them. You will be given a two part slip which is your receipt stating the plates have been surrendered. It is up to you to send one part of that slip to your insurance company stating the car has been taken off the road, sold, or junked.

Did you allow your insurance to lapse?

Old 05-03-2015, 04:36 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
The DMV won't fine you for not turning in your plates during the time you did not have insurance. Just turn in the plates as soon as you can.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:06 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Interesting that you were able to cancel the insurance. My insurance company will not cancel the coverage until they get the DMV slip showing surrender of the plates.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:21 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Interesting that you were able to cancel the insurance. My insurance company will not cancel the coverage until they get the DMV slip showing surrender of the plates.
I too was wondering about that as I remember not being able to cancel the insurance without surrendering the plates years ago. The only way around it from what I remember was if the plates (with or without the car) were stolen and one presented a police report to the DMV in lieu of the plates then one could cancel the insurance.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:25 PM

Yea somehow the insurance allowed it without the DMV slip. Just to follow up, my husband recently bought a new car, and brought in his plates to have them transferred to the new car. There were no consequences and they did not ask about the insurance on the previous car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York