U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:18 PM

7,587 posts, read 4,123,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
I am 100% for anything that reduces taxes. You are completely correct in that a reduction in taxes can attract business and help the local economy.

I also have been around long enough to know how things actually work. The most likely scenario is that taxes will continue to rise in any consolidation scenario that would be implemented.
So given that NY is #49 or #50 for attracting new businesses, and near the top for property taxes, it sounds as though without something big changing many areas are literally doomed.

I understand why there are so many school districts on Long Island. It's easy when you see a map correlating school districts, taxes and incomes. I also see the NIMBY attitude prevailing when it comes to making changes. The ONLY thing saving LI is the fact that it's a commuter area for NYC. That's it. All other major industries have left or are leaving.

Here's the unfortunate truth though. NY, while not losing population directly (it's still growing) it's slipped from #1 for many, many years now to #4. This translates to less influence in federal government, and over time, less importance in other areas.

Also, many roles no longer have to be in NYC - they can be in NC, TX or India. Many millennials don't want to be burdened with houses but prefer urban living. These factors in itself will weaken the Suffolk housing market, and also likely impact parts of Nassau as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 07:39 PM

16,901 posts, read 29,790,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Can you just imagine how much lower our taxes would be if we had one administration for each county and the teachers made the same salaries across the board on LI??? The south got it right!
If the teachers made the same salary across the board here, guaranteed they would seek out the highest salary to base it upon.

Even if we had one administration per town, as opposed to county, the savings would be significant.

If we could do away with the unfunded mandates, that would go a long way as well.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:13 PM

97 posts, read 116,064 times
There are no true cost saving to consolidating schools. There has been a lot of research in this regard in NYS.

http://www.newpaltz.edu/crreo/discussion_brief_12.pdf

The reality of consolidation is there will be less superintendents, but I can guarantee you there will be plenty of assistant, associate, and deputy superintendents that will be making top dollar. Also, when the teacher union contracts are consolidated, they usually get the best parts of each contract put into the new contract (salary, health insurance, sick/personal days, length of school day/year etc).

Old 05-30-2015, 03:22 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,553,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefslp View Post
There are no true cost saving to consolidating schools. There has been a lot of research in this regard in NYS.

http://www.newpaltz.edu/crreo/discussion_brief_12.pdf

The reality of consolidation is there will be less superintendents, but I can guarantee you there will be plenty of assistant, associate, and deputy superintendents that will be making top dollar. Also, when the teacher union contracts are consolidated, they usually get the best parts of each contract put into the new contract (salary, health insurance, sick/personal days, length of school day/year etc).
I agree. Generally, consolidating large population school districts increases administrative costs.

Consolidation only makes economic sense for very small rural districts with fewer than 1200 students in k-12. The problem is that these schools are often the result of prior consolidation, so they're already isolated from other schools, and attempting to consolidate them more means that most children are going to be transported long distances.

For example, Gowanda Central School is located in Gowanda, NY. It's a small district that spreads over 2 counties but the next towns with central schools are Silver Creek (15 miles), Springville (18 miles), Cattaraugus (12 miles), and North Collins (10 miles). Consolidation means spending money to transport many students at least 6 or 7 miles more, and some close to 20 miles, twice a day. Any savings go out the window with the cost of bus drivers, buses, maintenance, fuel.

GCS is a district with a "small" physical footprint. Springville Central sprawls over most of the southern part of Erie County from at least Collins Center all the way over almost to Route 16 on the east. It also spreads over a part of northern Cattaraugus County as well. Cassadaga Valley Central in Chautauqua County and Pine Valley in Cattaraugus and Chautauqua Counties spread over even wider areas. The problems that Gowanda would face from a consolidation with one of the "nearby schools" would be magnified for Springville, CVSD, or Pine Valley.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:38 PM

59,386 posts, read 84,213,403 times
If the last two posts are the case, then we are screwed. This is unless things can stay put in terms of teachers and their contracts, as well as limiting assist administrative positions.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:51 PM

8,581 posts, read 10,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Consolidation means spending money to transport many students at least 6 or 7 miles more, and some close to 20 miles, twice a day. Any savings go out the window with the cost of bus drivers, buses, maintenance, fuel.
I disagree, consolidation doesn't mean closing schools and bussing everyone cross county(s) it mean reducing the administrative costs. Schools should only be consolidated when two or more are siginificantly below their designed capacity and growth is not anticipated.

Every school district has it's own administration, instruction, maintenance, technology etc. departments whether there are 3 schools or 30. This is the savings that consolidation brings you are reducing/combining these services. Bussing a student 7 miles or more is not unusual in rural areas and far more practical than trying to providing all grade levels at every location in the district.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:43 AM

1,172 posts, read 936,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It's called sarcasm, the "for the children" mantra is a common battle cry according to the posters on the LI board.
Actually an attempt at sarcasm, which I fully understood in your original post. I'm quite familiar with the term and its overuse/misuse.

My response was sarcasm/play on words in that it is "for the parents" and property values, which no one denies. That is the correct mantra in this discussion.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:30 PM

7,587 posts, read 4,123,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I disagree, consolidation doesn't mean closing schools and bussing everyone cross county(s) it mean reducing the administrative costs. Schools should only be consolidated when two or more are siginificantly below their designed capacity and growth is not anticipated.

Every school district has it's own administration, instruction, maintenance, technology etc. departments whether there are 3 schools or 30. This is the savings that consolidation brings you are reducing/combining these services. Bussing a student 7 miles or more is not unusual in rural areas and far more practical than trying to providing all grade levels at every location in the district.
That was how I took it. Why does each school district pretty much have 4-5 elementary schools, 2 middle schools and a single high school? Why can't a district handle 3-4x as much? You might need 30% more staff, and a few deputy administrators, but there will still be savings in reducing headcount.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:33 AM

Possibly another reason why this should be considered: https://www.news10.com/sports/johnst...tle/2023270971

Old 06-02-2019, 10:01 AM

Articles about the Elizabethtown-Lewis/Westport school district merger in Essex County, which will start the next school year: https://www.suncommunitynews.com/top...stport-merger/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or