Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:12 PM

605 posts, read 491,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddust View Post
Likely in Canada or headed Mexico by now. Possibly dead
Manhunt costs a million a day, so it affects you. There is no such thing as a free...manhunt.

0.00001% chance they're out of the country. Their 'accomplice' bailed on them. They're probably within a ten-mile radius (or somesuch distance) of the facility
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 04:02 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
Don't be so sure they're not in Canada.

My memory is a bit sketchy but here goes:

There was an affluent guy from Alberta who'd been on a reality show of some sort, maybe to do with meeting women or such, and a couple of years (maybe more) back he dismembered his model girlfriend and left her in a dumpster in Vegas I think it was, after fighting with her earlier in a bar.

He high tailed if for the Canadian border in him BMW pulling his boat, then parked and launched his boat and drove it close to the border in WA and then walked across the border (unnoticed) into Canada. He made his way to Surrey BC or somewhere around there and later killed himself. They knew he was heading for the border too and he just took a foot path in, unnoticed.

Granted he had a car and boat and money, and the terrain was better but anything is possible.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:24 AM

214 posts, read 197,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto416 View Post
Nope. No way they're here in Canada. Basically the way it works here is, we get the same network channels you guys get - except ours come from Buffalo, NY. So everything you see, we see. Anyone who has come across the international border and gets caught faces an extradition agreement with the US, which is the same if a Canadian is apprehended in the US. They're basically sent right back as if it were another state. And most can't come across here anyways since now, you must have papers, and the unmanned areas along the border take incredible ability to get to, and you never know if there are drones, cameras, etc...

The border is only 20 miles from where they escaped. They wouldn't be that stupid to pick such an obvious escape route. And the area that is right across from there - there's nothing to do but walk around the woods. It would be hours and hours if not days on foot to reach Montreal. My guess? They're in Mexico where they don't check or care, or they've gone to New York City and basically gotten lost amongst the millions of people there by slightly disguising their looks.
Fair argument. I will counter with the fact that these guys were free for a couple of hours before their plot discovered. Those couple of hours are a critical amount of time to hightail to the Canadian wilderness on foot after realizing your plan is partially interrupted.

How well are you guys REALLY looking up there? I imagine NYS is probably the most concerned party of all those involved in the search. I like the theory that they are maybe in NYC. The local media there is only lightly covering the story and there are MILLIONS of people to get lost among, just ask Casey Anthony. Still though, I'd think they're more likely to be caught staying within NYS. I would think the trip to Mexico is TOO risky, although we can't rule it out given Richard Matt's obsession.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:23 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I haven't seen anything in the media on these guys' backgrounds that suggests they're mountain men. Without skills and some equipment, they wouldn't be likely to last to long in the woods.

My guess is they were worried about the women not showing up, and had plan B arranged (ie someone else to pick them up) which they put into effect whne she, in fact, didn't show up. They got in a car and drove far enough to be outside the cordon when the escape got discovered. This could include going to Canada, but, as our Canadian friend pointed out, Canada being a modern country, with effective law enforcement, and close cooperation with US law enforcement, offers no great advantage to being in the US.

Unless these guys had a cash stash left over from their criminal enterprises before they were incarcerated, they're going to have to do something to support themselves, and this will likely be criminal. This will likely get them showing up on the radar someplace. Also, I have a feeling by now they'd likely split up (no advantage to staying together when the search is for two guys.)

I think at some point they'll get caught. But it isn't likely the dragnet that will catch them. They'll do something stupid and/or unlucky (together or separately) and get caught by local LE wherever it is they've ended up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB1220 View Post
Fair argument. I will counter with the fact that these guys were free for a couple of hours before their plot discovered. Those couple of hours are a critical amount of time to hightail to the Canadian wilderness on foot after realizing your plan is partially interrupted.

How well are you guys REALLY looking up there? I imagine NYS is probably the most concerned party of all those involved in the search. I like the theory that they are maybe in NYC. The local media there is only lightly covering the story and there are MILLIONS of people to get lost among, just ask Casey Anthony. Still though, I'd think they're more likely to be caught staying within NYS. I would think the trip to Mexico is TOO risky, although we can't rule it out given Richard Matt's obsession.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:43 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB1220 View Post

They'd stick out a bit in French-speaking Quebec as well. Not that people in that part of Quebec aren't used to people speaking English, but they'd still stick out and also navigating society here wouldn't be that seamless for them either.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is this the case with the media in areas of Canada nearby?
Its not really a story at all here in Montreal unless one switches to an American news channel., they may mention it if there is anything new and i'm sure if they catch the guys it will be mentioned but generally day to day its not mentioned.
I doubt they went for the border as it would have opened them up to a whole level of unneeded border security and if on foot they would have had to navigate 60 miles of farms and forests and country backroads before they got to Montreal they would have stuck out like a sore thumb pursuing that course of action.
Also hard to imagine them walking through the woods as the mosquitoes and black flies would have eaten them alive by now.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-17-2015 at 11:55 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 01:31 AM

605 posts, read 491,346 times
1,400 leads and counting, and law enforcement is stating their commitment to pursue each and every one!

I personally think that heading for Vermont would've made the most sense. If they did have the aid of another accomplice though then all bets are off--possibilities just got much, much more numerous.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I think they got picked up by a plan-B lift,headed for the interstate and are now long gone.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:04 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
They're not long gone--their DNA is reportedly in a cabin 20 miles from the prison belonging to yet another crooked prison employee.

They'll be found. All I can say is it must be a joy for legitimate prison staff to have to deal with Cuomo and his liberal loons who have the run of the place, making sure that prisoners are...happy.

No wonder Annucci doesn't want the job.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:26 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
Yes and it seems someone saw one of them running out the back of the cabin on Sat. or Sun.

I had n idea it was another prison workers cabin ...wow!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York