Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 03:19 PM

280 posts, read 603,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
Okay I think Riverdale is what you are looking for. It is extremely safe, and remember overall New York City has much less crime than Boston. Riverdale is not a destination but there is a cute little center that has some neat little restaurants and coffee shops. It's very green.

I think Riverdale is primarily Jewish and the Metro North train is fantastic into the city, though expensive. Jersey City would be more challenging as the PATH train is not near Grand Central but it is possible. I've seen some maintenances as low as $300 but the more amenities the building has, the more expensive the maintenance will be. Remember though the maintenance will include property taxes and insurance so that saves a bit.

Riverdale is cheaper because it is very inaccessible to the subway (up a huge hill from the 1 train, which probably takes an hour into the city). It's super easy to get to Mass from that area, up the Henry Hudson to the Cross County to the Merritt and no tolls except the Mass Pike. All that said, your budget is extremely low for the area but not impossible for a studio. In fact, here is a perfect place for you:

Bellmarc Simone Song Realty - Hudson Heights, Washington Heights, Inwood
No need for a subway at all. Will drive and need parking. How is the drive in the morning to Jersey City, at 6am, and 7am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 05:53 PM

686 posts, read 1,137,450 times
That area is great for parking and it looks like that coop actually has a garage. Drive would be relatively straightforward...I think I'd drive down and catch the GW bridge and down river road to JC...shouldn't be too bad and a reverse commute.

I find the traffic less in NYC and Jersey than Boston overall. 128 is a nightmare especially. Less traffic, less crime, what's not to love? ;-)

Old 06-28-2015, 11:26 AM

63 posts, read 115,906 times
Hoboken or downtown Jersey city..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York