Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:21 PM

72 posts, read 195,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
OP, are you interested in visiting other places near Hope Lake Lodge?
Not at this point unless there is something compelling enough for a four and six year old :-).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 03:01 PM

92,060 posts, read 122,237,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RashidWilliams View Post
Not at this point unless there is something compelling enough for a four and six year old :-).

Thanks!
Well, I didn't know how long you would be in the area or if you would even be willing to drive any more than the trip to the lodge, but I was just thinking of places in Ithaca or Syracuse that might be interesting. For Ithaca, I was thinking of the ScienCenter, Purity or the Cornell dairy store for ice cream or Stewart Park. In terms of Syracuse, I was thinking of the MOST in Armory Square and perhaps places like feeding birds at Websters Pond and getting Gannon's Ice Cream in the valley neighborhood or going to a place like Billy Beez in DestinyUSA.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:18 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,717,676 times
You don't need to drive your kids 45+ minutes as far as Syracuse or Ithaca for little kid activities (short of Sciencenter or MOST, that is).

Feeding ducks, geese, and deer at the Cortland Water Works (entering an address 94 Broadway, Cortland NY 13045 should get you close enough to see where to go) is a common little kid activity. They don't sell stale bread etc. right there but around the corner is the CNY chain Byrne Dairy Store (117 Groton Ave, Cortland NY 13045) that does.

Footie's Freez (1041 McLean Rd, Cortland NY 13045 is what Google says, will get you on the right corner anyway) is a classic soft serve ice cream place, only about 10 minutes' drive from Hope Lake Lodge/Greek Peak area.

A non trendy old fashioned city park playground is Cortland's Beaudry Park (use 48 Scammell St, Cortland NY 13045 as address).

Cheap independent college cuisine abounds in downtown Cortland. Enter 33 Main St, Cortland NY 13045 as a pointer and you'll see it within a block of there.

Other necessities might be found at grocery stores such as http://www.pricechopper.com/stores/1...13-Cortland-NY or Tops Friendly Markets - Store Locator , and of course Cortland Walmart Supercenter - Walmart.com which is actually pretty close to Greek Peak on good paved roads.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:22 PM

There is also the real car hop classic A&W restaurant (3925 State Route 281, Cortland NY 13045) with adjacent mini golf course 3 lights up the NY 13/281 strip from Walmart.

Last edited by ki0eh; 06-22-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
There is also the real car hop classic A&W restaurant (3925 State Route 281, Cortland NY 13045) with adjacent mini golf course 3 lights up the NY 13/281 strip from Walmart.
Good ones and I don't know how I totally forgot about the A&W with the adjacent mini golf course, given that I've been to both.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:51 PM

72 posts, read 195,960 times
Quote:
Well, I didn't know how long you would be in the area or if you would even be willing to drive any more than the trip to the lodge, but I was just thinking of places in Ithaca or Syracuse that might be interesting. For Ithaca, I was thinking of the ScienCenter, Purity or the Cornell dairy store for ice cream or Stewart Park. In terms of Syracuse, I was thinking of the MOST in Armory Square and perhaps places like feeding birds at Websters Pond and getting Gannon's Ice Cream in the valley neighborhood or going to a place like Billy Beez in DestinyUSA.
We'll be there for two days. Great recommendations, from some of the other posters it appears there are some things in the area close as well. Thank you!

Quote:
You don't need to drive your kids 45+ minutes as far as Syracuse or Ithaca for little kid activities (short of Sciencenter or MOST, that is).

Feeding ducks, geese, and deer at the Cortland Water Works (entering an address 94 Broadway, Cortland NY 13045 should get you close enough to see where to go) is a common little kid activity. They don't sell stale bread etc. right there but around the corner is the CNY chain Byrne Dairy Store (117 Groton Ave, Cortland NY 13045) that does.

Footie's Freez (1041 McLean Rd, Cortland NY 13045 is what Google says, will get you on the right corner anyway) is a classic soft serve ice cream place, only about 10 minutes' drive from Hope Lake Lodge/Greek Peak area.

A non trendy old fashioned city park playground is Cortland's Beaudry Park (use 48 Scammell St, Cortland NY 13045 as address).

Cheap independent college cuisine abounds in downtown Cortland. Enter 33 Main St, Cortland NY 13045 as a pointer and you'll see it within a block of there.

Other necessities might be found at grocery stores such as http://www.pricechopper.com/stores/1...13-Cortland-NY or Tops Friendly Markets - Store Locator , and of course Cortland Walmart Supercenter - Walmart.com which is actually pretty close to Greek Peak on good paved roads.
The duck feeding stuff is really compelling, that's something my kids really love along with the playground. Who can refuse ice cream. Thanks for the details down to the stale bread!

Quote:
Mini golf sounds good. I miss the frosty chilled A&W glass mugs we used to get, I'll probably make a stop in.

Quote:
Good ones and I don't know how I totally forgot about the A&W with the adjacent mini golf course, given that I've been to both.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:28 PM

When compiling the info for post #13 (you might think I've had experience trying to amuse a 4 and 6 yr old in the area ) it is astounding how deficient web information remains for the Cortland area. Even for downtown shopping the Cortland Downtown Partnership web site is "under construction". The City of Cortland Official Web Site web site is good for relocation-ish info but Experience Cortland just isn't really there for this type of inquiry.

Something really basic, like a sign at the intersection of Page Green Rd (which is an extension of Cortland's Main Street into Cortlandville and Virgil) and NY 392 pointing the way right turn only 5 miles into downtown Cortland (over a dozen bars) reasonably could be expected for the millions of town, county, state, federal tax dollars that have gone directly or indirectly into the Greek Peak/Hope Lake Lodge complex.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:49 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,567,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RashidWilliams View Post
The duck feeding stuff is really compelling, that's something my kids really love along with the playground. Who can refuse ice cream. Thanks for the details down to the stale bread!
Stop Feeding Waterfowl - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Feeding waterfowl bread is harmful.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Good info....I want to say that Websters Pond does or did use corn, but may have switched to grain for people to feed the ducks and geese there.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:55 AM

The Cortland area offers not many clues on the internet (as stated) but this gives some insight as to the nature of the Water Works compound: Cortland Police Respond to Criticisms Over Care of Water Works Deer | Oldies 101.5 - it should also be noted that the pond visible from Broadway has not been a functioning component of the City's water system for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York