Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Move to NYC From Upstate NY?
Yes 2 16.67%
No 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:48 AM

135 posts, read 175,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, no. Utica and Buffalo are both in Upstate NY.

Depending on you who you ask. Buffalo folks identify as Western New Yorkers. You're an Upstater in Syracuse. I'm an Upstater in Utica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 11:59 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingeverywhere View Post
Depending on you who you ask. Buffalo folks identify as Western New Yorkers. You're an Upstater in Syracuse. I'm an Upstater in Utica.
As well as in Buffalo. People in Syracuse and Utica may refer to themselves as being Central NY, but it is just a region within the larger Upstate NY area and in NY State.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:33 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,067 times
This would all depend upon your age, career, future goals, and earning potential, I'd think.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:07 AM

466 posts, read 982,532 times
Absolutely not. I voted yes on accident so it should be even more lopsided. Love visiting NYC, would never want to live there.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:32 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secession_in_New_York

Im from Utica. Buffalo does not feel part of where I live. Neither does NYC.

WNY talked about secession. Called "Niagara." Utica would not be part of Niagara, and culturally, hell no.
Actually "WNY" does NOT "talk about secession". Some asshats, primarily RW nutwings, disgruntled Carl Paladino worshipers, and the dumbarsed gun nuts with their "Repeal the Safe Act" signs in still in their front yards (frequently one and the same), natter about it on their websites, blogs, and talk radio. Nobody else even thinks about it.

"Upstate" has always been considered all of New York State north of the NYC metro and Long Island.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:36 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Sorry, but I have never ever considered moving to NYC, and I never would. Hell, I would never ever move back to Buffalo or Albany, either city or metro, again either as I've "been there, done that".

Old 08-23-2015, 12:34 PM

Anyone I have ever known from Buffalo and Rochester (from going to SUNY Brockport to seeing Rangers/Giants games in Buffalo, to visiting friends there, etc.) always mentioned how different WNY is from downstate and even Utica and Albany (New England) and that any secession would leave those two out.

Buffalo doesn't belong with NYC or Albany. Split it up into three states.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Anyone I have ever known from Buffalo and Rochester (from going to SUNY Brockport to seeing Rangers/Giants games in Buffalo, to visiting friends there, etc.) always mentioned how different WNY is from downstate and even Utica and Albany (New England) and that any secession would leave those two out.

Buffalo doesn't belong with NYC or Albany. Split it up into three states.
Downstate, sure, but Utica and Albany, not so much.

Also, Albany isn't in New England.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Downstate, sure, but Utica and Albany, not so much.

Also, Albany isn't in New England.

Born and raised in Utica. I think I would know. Utica's feel is more New England as is Albany, which is older than Boston and NYC and Philadelphia even.

WNY is its own, downstate is its own, and the Mohawk Valley/Hudson is its own.

You take away downstate, that still leaves a political and economical dichotomy between Buffalo and Albany, which would not last long until Buffalo and Rochester want to split.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Born and raised in Utica. I think I would know. Utica's feel is more New England as is Albany, which is older than Boston and NYC and Philadelphia even.

WNY is its own, downstate is its own, and the Mohawk Valley/Hudson is its own.

You take away downstate, that still leaves a political and economical dichotomy between Buffalo and Albany, which would not last long until Buffalo and Rochester want to split.
WNY, the Mohawk Valley and the Capital Region are all regions in Upstate NY......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York