Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 11:58 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
And, as I've always said, the major adjacent cities and metros along the thruway need to start thinking and acting as one region. At least that would give us a solid voice of 3.5-4 million surely not a majority, but I think the powers that be in NYC would se we want a change. Not to mention, it would be a lot easier to achieve than through legislation. If nothing else, at least it would be a good start. After all, if for some reason we did manage to split, it would just be us anyway. So why not just begin now?
Get a clue. New York is NOT splitting. The reality is this:
  • Nearly 88% of New Yorkers live in urban or urbanized areas, more than half in the cities of NYC, Buffalo, Rochester, Yonkers, and Syracuse, so the majority of New Yorkers even in Upstate NY live in cities and their large suburbs.
  • About 20% of New Yorkers are black or mixed race.
  • About 18% of New Yorkers are of Hispanic or Latino origin.
  • About 22% of New Yorkers were born in a foreign country.
  • About 30% of New Yorkers over the age of 5 speak a language other than English at home.
  • About 55% of New Yorkers approve of the ban on fracking and only 25% oppose it, and in Upstate NY, 56% approved of the ban.
  • Polls of registered voters repeated show strong support for gun restrictions not just in the NYC metro but Upstate as well. (NYAGV)
What makes you think that most people living in Buffalo or Syracuse have more in common with gun-toting morons riding around the Southern Tier with pro-fracking stickers plastered to the bumpers of their ten-year-old rust bucket 4 by 4s with Confederate flags anchored to their rotting truck beds than they do with people who live in Queens or LI?

Plain and simple, even in Upstate NY, most people don't buy into the would-be separatists' whites-only, English-only, "Americans"-only Nirvana without gun laws and ruled by energy extractors. They only speak for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 03:12 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,046 times
Among other things, I'm trying to figure out why they want to call it "New Amsterdam", considering that was the name part of Manhattan was given by the Dutch.
So, hasn't that name already been used once already, like, in... MANHATTAN?
Those dingalings need to be more creative, if nothing else.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:34 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,277,684 times
Well if Global warming is real... and ocean levels do rise? Perhaps NEW AMSTERDAM will fit for NYC again..... needing some means to keep ocean waters out..... even if just for future storms.... No hate please...

Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 AM

13 posts, read 11,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
  • Nearly 88% of New Yorkers live in urban or urbanized areas, more than half in the cities of NYC, Buffalo, Rochester, Yonkers, and Syracuse, so the majority of New Yorkers even in Upstate NY live in cities and their large suburbs.
  • About 30% of New Yorkers over the age of 5 speak a language other than English at home.
  • About 55% of New Yorkers approve of the ban on fracking and only 25% oppose it, and in Upstate NY, 56% approved of the ban.
  • Polls of registered voters repeated show strong support for gun restrictions not just in the NYC metro but Upstate as well. (NYAGV)
What makes you think that most people living in Buffalo or Syracuse have more in common with gun-toting morons riding around the Southern Tier with pro-fracking stickers plastered to the bumpers of their ten-year-old rust bucket 4 by 4s with Confederate flags anchored to their rotting truck beds than they do with people who live in Queens or LI?

Plain and simple, even in Upstate NY, most people don't buy into the would-be separatists' whites-only, English-only, "Americans"-only Nirvana without gun laws and ruled by energy extractors. They only speak for themselves.

I think you would be surprised what us gun toting morons in the southern tier, support and dont support. What we know and what we don't. I think you and your asinine comment can pretty much shove it right up that do gooder, better than you holier than though ass.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:10 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo1754 View Post
I think you would be surprised what us gun toting morons in the southern tier, support and dont support. What we know and what we don't. I think you and your asinine comment can pretty much shove it right up that do gooder, better than you holier than though ass.
Thanks. I thought her comment was way out of line too.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Quote:

I agree with you for the most part but I'm pretty sure I've seen anti-fracking signs in the Binghamton/Vestal area in the Southern Tier

Old 03-02-2019, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 826 times
Its not just upstate NY, its all of NYS EXCEPT for NYC and Long Island.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:41 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francie009 View Post
Its not just upstate NY, its all of NYS EXCEPT for NYC and Long Island.
That is pretty much Upstate NY minus a few counties north of NYC.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:55 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
I think I would be happy if people in other states just stopped assuming NY is JUST NYC.

Honestly, the CITY should be called New Amsterdam, as that was its original name before a bunch of own-butt-sniffing Brits invaded it.

Illinois at least dodges the American ignorance by Chicago having a distinct name from the state. Americans KNOW there's a rural Illinois, most of them have no idea that a rural NY exists. Americans KNOW poverty affects parts of Illinois, most of them think there are no poor people in NY. ETC.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:59 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
You are exactly the kind of person that fuels their fire, you know.

Try living out here in areas with no economy apart from Wal Marts and not be pro-fracking. Also leave my guns and rusty trucks out of this, they did nothing to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York