U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-06-2009, 07:18 AM

110 posts, read 321,038 times
Has long has it been since you have been back? Bradlees has been gone for many, many years
Business went belly up You always hear rumors Super Walmart, super market etc So, far nothing yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-06-2009, 10:05 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,864,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acip View Post
Has long has it been since you have been back? Bradlees has been gone for many, many years
Business went belly up You always hear rumors Super Walmart, super market etc So, far nothing yet
Thanks for answering. I have been up regulary for years but the last time I noticed they had torn down a perfectly good store. I thought maybe??? the town has finally found a buisness worthy for the owner to lease it. I am well aware that they do not want a Walmart...

Unread 04-27-2010, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,546 times
As someone of color (BLACK), well educated in my profession of Law, lives in lower Westchester and has been working in NYC for over 13 years, I am/was busy shopping around for areas/counties to re-locate along with a toddler daughter who sooner than later will be in school. I find lot of the comments posted here very interesting in terms of living conditions, taxes, neighborhoods and most importantly school districts. My MAJOR concern is, I get the feeling that the color of my skin would be a hindrance living in any of these neighborhood/county and/or my child freely attending school there. I could be wrong, but most of the posts speak volume to that regard! I am open to any suggestions.

Unread 05-03-2010, 10:37 PM

119 posts, read 208,594 times
candidBfly, I can't speak with authority on most of the towns in Rockland but I doubt you would get that feeling you fear in Nyack. IMO Piermont and Orangetown in general would also be fine options. These last two I mentioned aren't necessarily very diverse neighborhoods, but I doubt you would feel any sort of hindrance to acceptance in these communities. Inner Rockland County may be a different story, like I said, I don't know.

Unread 05-04-2010, 04:21 PM

198 posts, read 267,582 times
Candid , Town of Haverstraw and Nyack are probably the only decent places in Rockland you wont get that feeling.

Unread 05-13-2010, 01:41 PM

@Jfoldno7 and Met8568 ... thanks for your response! Seems like I must do some exploratory searches to come up with a decision. @ Met, I just became acquainted with Haverstraw, though I know not much of the village, it seems to be welcoming and the area seems low-keyed and inviting (well at a glance). I'll use the months ahead to research, both literally and physically. Keeping fingers crossed, i may become a resident someplace there by year's end or early 2011. Wish me luck!

Unread 05-13-2010, 06:18 PM

Town Of haverstraw is probably one of the most diverse places you will find without overwhelming crime. Just stay away from Downtown Village of Haverstraw, and area's of Church St and Wall St in Garnerville. Lots of good hard working hispanic, black and white families you will find in the area, racial tensions are non existent which is pretty outstanding considering the north rockland community (Haverstraw and Stony Point) is close to 50% minority. If you have any questions feel free to ask, Ive lived in the area my whole life.

Unread 05-15-2010, 06:52 AM

Met, your response is appreciated. Do you know much of/about the school districts there? How about commuting to NYC on a daily basis, either by car or public commute? Let me hear from you...

Unread 05-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Some people in Rockland County may say how terrible North Rockland schools are, but its not too bad, I graduated 2001, trust me Clarkstown and other schools are not much better, and those people are paying 20 k a year property taxes to send kids to turn into prescription junkies. North Rockland is certainly leaps and bounds better than East Ramapo, and the taxes arent as bad as other areas of Rockland, the people are also more down to earth (not snobs).. There are some trouble area's in North Rockland but the district is huge so its not that big of an issue. I believe the demographics of the schools are 35% Hispanic, 15% Black, 50% White. Considering high minority population gangs are not that big of an issue. Overall North Rocklands a good place, good people, community involvement etc. I live in Haverstraw and right now I can be out the door and paying the toll for George Washington in 35 minutes, but its not rush hour so, if your working off hours you can be in midtown in less than 50 minutes in your own car. Public Transportation isnt too great on this side of the river though, for train you would have to get to Suffern (15-25 minutes from North Rockland depending on location), take that to Hoboken (40 minutes of so), then hop on the path to World Trade Center (another 15-20 minutes). I do not know much about the buses to the city, but id imagine it would be atleast 1 hr 30 minutes rush hour. Just remember most parts of Village of Pomona use East Ramapo Schools. Do not move into those places, however, a place with just a Pomona mailing address is fine, just make sure its not part of the Village of Pomona!

Unread 05-15-2010, 09:43 AM

also what kind of a home are you looking for, and what is your price range? what qualities are most important to you, i can point you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York