Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 PM

253 posts, read 805,244 times

Advertisements

Met8568,

Thank you for those tips. I was eyeing a brand new construction on Wall Street in Garnerville. I must say, prices are much more reasonable around Haverstraw compared to the rest of Rockland (excluding SV).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:26 PM

197 posts, read 634,198 times
Yea well it would be wise to stay away from Wall Street, Wall St is the notorious in the area for being trouble. are you talking about the construction in the coul-de-sac off of Wall St not really on the main road, where that fenced in apartment building is? not a good area at all. Atleast in Downtown haverstraw village theres prospects of revitilization in the future (which is unlikely) which could turn into great investment.. The Wall St area will never be revitalized, . Look into Thiells, Mount Ivy Area, West Haverstraw over by pecks pond is nice area too. some area's of haverstraw village away from downtown are nice and quiet also like hudson ave and the area behind the cemetary.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM

Thanks a bunch. This is the area I was referring to. Its a new construction - for a very reasonable price. I haven't been up there yet. But I appreciate your advice.

44 wall street garnerville ny - Google Maps

Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 AM

701 posts, read 3,312,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candidBfly View Post
Met, your response is appreciated. Do you know much of/about the school districts there? How about commuting to NYC on a daily basis, either by car or public commute? Let me hear from you...
Commuting from Rockland County in general, is not an easy thing. The county provides a number of mediocre/poor options.

There is train service from Pearl River and Suffern. Basically connects to NJ transit. You can go through Hoboken, and transfer to PATH service, or from Secaucus, go into Penn Station. There are buses from Nanuet. The buses go into the Port Authority, though there is 1 bus route that actually takes a path through Manhattan streets. There is the TZ-Express -- Bus over the Tappan Zee, and then transfer to train in Tarrytown.
Driving yourself is not that bad in terms of miles -- Depends on if you have affordable parking in NYC. Driving can be a better option if you work off-hours, when rush hour traffic isn't at its worst.

Going to your earlier comments about race and suburban schools. Some schools are certainly more diverse than others. I fully understand the attitude of not wanting to be the only _______ (whether the only black person, only Jewish person, only whatever) in the neighborhood or in the school. But I do encourage you to look closely at the areas. There are school districts that may be diverse, but may also be quite segregated along racial lines. Then there may also be areas that are not diverse, but that are still welcoming with very little racism or discrimination. It's a balance, and you may want to look carefully.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 11,600 times
how are the schools in suffern and the commute from the GW bridge to route 17 to suffern

Old 03-13-2011, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 11,600 times
Default Moving to Rockland county.

<P>Tarret gives good advice, how about Congers lower taxes with Clarkstown schools...</P>

Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 PM

19,010 posts, read 16,829,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrey69 View Post
<P>Tarret gives good advice, how about Congers lower taxes with Clarkstown schools...</P>
Congers is part of the town of clarkstown therefore your tax burden will be the same. Both Congers & New City are classified as Hamlets within the town of Clarkstown. Your tax burden will be @$22.30 per $1000.00 of assessed value, check with the town hall for the exact tax burden.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:20 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,890,823 times
Wow, so much good info. We are asian (indian)...and are looking into pearl river/clarkstown schools. We like newer construction (built 2000 and later). Looking to rent first, and if the house is nice, we will buy. Are there any towns in particular that we should look into in rockland county? Stony point and the thiels have what we are looking for..but just too far. Commute is to jersey city everyday.

How long do you think it would take to get to jersey city from clarkstown?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Wow, so much good info. We are asian (indian)...and are looking into pearl river/clarkstown schools. We like newer construction (built 2000 and later). Looking to rent first, and if the house is nice, we will buy. Are there any towns in particular that we should look into in rockland county? Stony point and the thiels have what we are looking for..but just too far. Commute is to jersey city everyday.

Oh my.....have you still not found a house yet? You've been looking for a while too....right?

Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 PM

505 posts, read 2,329,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo View Post
Oh my.....have you still not found a house yet? You've been looking for a while too....right?
lol Titus - I was thinking the same thing!

mom2gurls - it's been a while! How have you been? Have you lookid into Jersey at all? I've seen great deals down this way as well that sometimes seem to beat what I used to see up that way in NY when I was still selling RE up there.

~Joey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York