U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 05:07 PM

115 posts, read 92,490 times

Advertisements

Just had a radon test done on a home that we are hoping to buy and the levels in the basement came in at 40, which is 10 times the EPA recommended limit!!! What would you do? Get the sellers to install a radon mitigation system? Or walk away?

Last edited by diydesign; 09-26-2015 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 05:43 PM

1,388 posts, read 840,262 times
I don't know where you're looking, but all throughout the Hudson Valley there's radon. It's what comes with being built on the rock there. It's in the ground.
Very few homes have systems in place to mitigate the problem. If you like the house, I'd say take care of your concerns once moving in.
If you decide to move on to another house in the same area because of your concern, the odds are you'll come across the same problem.

So in answer to your question... No to making your seller install a system. No.

I went through this about 15 years ago, when a buyer in contract pulled the radon thing, and I sold to someone else.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:51 PM

It's hardly a matter of "pulling the radon thing." 10 times the EPA limit is significant/more than your average elevated radon amounts. And it is a health concern. Knowing that this home tested that high, the sellers would be legally obligated to disclose these levels to any future prospective home buyers. Our current house had high water radon levels and it was up to us, the sellers to correct since it is a potential health hazard.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diydesign View Post
It's hardly a matter of "pulling the radon thing." 10 times the EPA limit is significant/more than your average elevated radon amounts. And it is a health concern. Knowing that this home tested that high, the sellers would be legally obligated to disclose these levels to any future prospective home buyers. Our current house had high water radon levels and it was up to us, the sellers to correct since it is a potential health hazard.
Make sure before you sign a contract the house has a gluten detector, too.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:58 AM

You are a class act, MinkeyM. And apparently the EPA guidelines are ridiculous too, right?

So I take it you never disclosed your known radon problem to your buyers.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:13 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,225,495 times
If you like the house, then ask the sellers to install a radon mitigation system. Radon gas is estimated to kill 20,000 Americans per year. Do not buy the house if the sellers refuse.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diydesign View Post
You are a class act, MinkeyM. And apparently the EPA guidelines are ridiculous too, right?

So I take it you never disclosed your known radon problem to your buyers.
No, I had no known radon problems.
I had litigious potential buyers who forced me to be shut in my house with their multiple radon detectors in my basement, in July, in 90+ degree weather, with all windows shut for days as a requirement. After three of days of pure torture, I told them to go to hell, and sold to someone else who never even brought the issue up.

I don't know how much radon was there. Whatever it was 15 years ago, it's probably the same now.

Homes in the Hudson Valley have radon. Buy at your own risk, and with knowledge of this.

Last edited by MinkeyM; 09-27-2015 at 07:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York