Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 01:53 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
You might want to check out the Albany area, which is more populous than the HV (larger places just have more job opportunities and better wages than smaller places) and tends to have a fairly stable economy because of the large number of decent paying government jobs there. Your husband could look into state civil jobs as NYS does not discriminate against older workers (a friend of mine was hired as a corrections officer at age 51 a couple of years ago!).
Or he could just check the state employment pages: https://www.labor.ny.gov/jobs/regional.shtm

https://www.statejobsny.com/

US.jobs - New York Self Service Site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 06:31 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrltenSpke11 View Post
Refusing to hire someone because of his age? That sounds like age discrimination. I'd move out of NY if possible and move to where the cost of living is much lower.
Welcome to the real world where age discrimination is alive and well. Furthermore, the OP wants to get her NYS retirement, which is a significant asset given her husband's employment difficulties.

Dutchess County, like most of the Hudson Valley, has a higher COL, especially housing costs, because of its proximity to NYC. It also has a relatively small population and not much industry any more, so opportunities are limited. If the OP lived around Syracuse or Buffalo, her salary would go further and it would be more likely that her husband could find a job. Unfortunately, it's hard for a couple to leave one secure job and move somewhere else hoping that both can find work.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:29 AM

9 posts, read 11,213 times
For me it has been incredibly turbulent living here. I am poorer here than I was in Manhattan! Yet I paying 1/3 or 1/4 of the rent. It's a different scale of an economy, and the town I ended up in, without researching it or walking around asking people what it's like, has been nothing but a disappointment as everyone is so eerily strange, the town has nothing but $9 an hour jobs. It's as hard to settle into upstate as it is in NYC, which is 10 years.
It's incredibly nice up here but I sort of regret it, and I have just lost a land listing which was sold to someone else, I'm stuck in a horrendously ugly apartment although it is so cheap. You need land which I'm trying to find, or else you'll get stuck in a grid paying a landlord. Upstate NY is basically a farm belt, made of small villages, the majority of the culture is that, so if you fit into that.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:52 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Welcome to the real world where age discrimination is alive and well. Furthermore, the OP wants to get her NYS retirement, which is a significant asset given her husband's employment difficulties.

Dutchess County, like most of the Hudson Valley, has a higher COL, especially housing costs, because of its proximity to NYC. It also has a relatively small population and not much industry any more, so opportunities are limited. If the OP lived around Syracuse or Buffalo, her salary would go further and it would be more likely that her husband could find a job. Unfortunately, it's hard for a couple to leave one secure job and move somewhere else hoping that both can find work.
Small population? Eek! No! We now have 300K here and it's clogging our roads so badly these days! I hate the traffic! We lost IBM, Texaco and Fairchild Semiconductors. We are a true bedroom community and wages here are terrible! I've been fighting with my union to get a raise-the last time my job title was review was 1994! I can't make it here on 37K a year. It's up to 82K for COL to live in Dutchess County.

I'd be looking to get on Civil Service lists again, either secretarial or as a school bus dispatcher/driver again as that's what I am doing now. I want to keep my NYS retirement as I have 5 years until I can get out. Not sure what we'll do after the youngest graduates in June. All I know is I am drowning completely. I am not able to get a second job because federal laws for CDL drivers say if I work over 10 hours a day-even if it's not a job driving, I am out of compliance. I do a split, 5am to 9am then back from 12pm to 4pm. I get up at 3:45am and I am burnt out trying to keep us afloat. But it's sad that around here that hubby can't even get hired in a part time job. Even a entry level one. He worked one job for 21 years, so he showed he was a stable employee. Yet he can't even get a job to put a loaf of bread on the table. Dutchess County stinks anymore for locals that grew up here. I just want to curl up and wish it was all over somedays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York