Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 03:34 PM

9 posts, read 11,216 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where you can find wild apple trees or berries? Like fields, not U-Pick, somewhere where you don't have to pay, plus most are sprayed with pesticides. Looking for an untouched field. Grapes & berries might be over at this point. Have a few apple trees along my street but they're way too high. Not an orchard that you buy, trees in the wild! There's a tree that's loaded but it's on someone's lawn.
If you know of any huge berry or grape areas feel free to post, maybe next year

Never found edible mushrooms in the Catskills, like Chaga.
If anyone knows of any areas post directions or the coordinates with wild food or berries please!
Found grapes, a few bunches of plants along a road in Woodstock but wonder if there are any larger fields.
best, happy holidays.

Last edited by apples-travel; 10-12-2015 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 07:55 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
Can't help with your actual question, but the request may be tougher than you think.

Wild apple trees are rarely good eating. To produce good fruit, pruning is pretty must a requirement. Unpruned trees tend to produce too much fruit and that makes the apples smaller and much less sweet.

Unsprayed trees also have fruit with quite a bit of bugs. Keep in mind that not all pest control measures are pesticides.

I have several wild trees on my property. The fruit was horrible - tiny, bitter apples. Last year I started pruning very aggressively to get the trees into shape. This year, the fruit was much better - bigger, sweeter. Still have a ways to go (you can only prune so much each year). I might spray next year, as most of the fruit did have bugs.

The other thing about wild trees is wildlife. If you can reach it, so can the deer. This reduces the "wild" harvest further.

If the trees are not along the road, it is almost certain someone owns that "larger field." If you are lucky enough to fine a big field with some apple trees bearing decent fruit, it's probably private property owned by people who are caring for those trees.

You will have much better luck with berries. Raspberries and Strawberries grow wild all through the Catskills. Parks and hiking trails are a good place to look. The trails that I use usually have several people picking wild berries. Only problem is that it is now too late in the season. I think July-August is the best time for berries.

If pesticides are an issue for you, think twice about picking fruit from the side of the road. Those plant are breathing in exhaust fumes every day. Their water source includes runoff from the asphalt roadway and includes anything dripped or leaked from the passing cars. I'm thinking those plants do not have a big advantage over many a commercial orchard operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: