Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:24 AM

169 posts, read 330,811 times

Advertisements

Hello
we are confused between buying an amazing home in beekman area (toll) and older homes in lagrangevill NY. we are told lagrangeville is more prestigious as compared to hopwell or beekman with the school district ( arlington) being the same in both areas....

any thoughts? pros or cons of being in beekman vs lagrangeville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 05:14 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,454 times
Wow. I lived in the mid-Hudson for more than 20 years, and never knew that any of those places were considered "prestigious".
Yeah, a nice location, but I'd hardly think there's a competition anywhere around there for where the Elite live. Lol.
I always thought the best part of that area was that no one really cared about that.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:19 PM

lol, i mentioned ...MORE prestigious than one or another...not an absolute. I get it we are not on the upper east side..

Old 10-30-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
lol, i mentioned ...MORE prestigious than one or another...not an absolute. I get it we are not on the upper east side..
LOL, UES reference.
Hello!... Your problem was the initial question.

Who the hell cares how "prestigious" it is on any scale?

Welcome to New York... outside of the city!
Are you sure you want to move?

I'm assuming if you were moving from prime digs in NYC, you wouldn't be worrying about any of this anyway... You'd be finding a nice place in Westchester, or if a little whacky a large place in Rhinebeck or Millbrook if you have polo ponies, that is.

I'm a member of the middle class, and it always makes me crazy when fellow members are trying to show their "prestige".
Just watch Downton Abbey, and get it out of your systems, people.
(Oh, btw, most of those real Downton-type people lost their homes.)

Last edited by MinkeyM; 10-30-2015 at 05:50 PM..

Old 10-31-2015, 07:51 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,683 times
Quote:
Being both towns up until about 20 years ago were pretty rural, until the huge exodus from the lower counties. There is no "prestigious" areas where you are mentioning. They are run of the mill cookie cutter homes-whether they are older or the new McMansions. There's no imagination with the builders in the last 20 years. Now if you want to be part of the "rich" here, go to Millbrook or Rhinebeck. You can hobnob with the rich and famous when they come to town. Mary Tyler Moore, Liam Neeson all live in Millbrook. It's hunt country. Millbrook schools are a hidden gem.

Arlington(I worked there for over 20+ years) has become downstate like. It's got great schools, but all the problems have moved here and taken away some of what made it shine.4000 kids in the high school. Traffic is a nightmare by the high school in the mornings. Red Hook Schools offer the IB program at the high school level.

Just as a local, I am tired of seeing the snobbery move in. I get tired of new people saying to me "why would I live here my whole life" or that I am a backwater hick and the sooner people like me leave, the more refined this place will be and "lowlifes" such as myself will be gone. The "nouveau riche" flaunt their money, old money doesn't. Too many moving here judge a book by it's cover. I am just smart enough not to flaunt what I have. Probably why too many were showing off here and lost their homes. Mine's paid free and clear. Who's richer?

Old 10-31-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Being both towns up until about 20 years ago were pretty rural, until the huge exodus from the lower counties. There is no "prestigious" areas where you are mentioning. They are run of the mill cookie cutter homes-whether they are older or the new McMansions. There's no imagination with the builders in the last 20 years. Now if you want to be part of the "rich" here, go to Millbrook or Rhinebeck. You can hobnob with the rich and famous when they come to town. Mary Tyler Moore, Liam Neeson all live in Millbrook. It's hunt country. Millbrook schools are a hidden gem.

Arlington(I worked there for over 20+ years) has become downstate like. It's got great schools, but all the problems have moved here and taken away some of what made it shine.4000 kids in the high school. Traffic is a nightmare by the high school in the mornings. Red Hook Schools offer the IB program at the high school level.

Just as a local, I am tired of seeing the snobbery move in. I get tired of new people saying to me "why would I live here my whole life" or that I am a backwater hick and the sooner people like me leave, the more refined this place will be and "lowlifes" such as myself will be gone. The "nouveau riche" flaunt their money, old money doesn't. Too many moving here judge a book by it's cover. I am just smart enough not to flaunt what I have. Probably why too many were showing off here and lost their homes. Mine's paid free and clear. Who's richer?
I know what you're talking about!

I owned a little tiny house in Garrison for a while. There were some seriously rich people there, but they never told us so, even though we socialized with them on occasion.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:

I hear you. I guess I should have rephrased the question, which is a more desirable location in terms of amenities, access to highway , esp for a young family with elementary school kids? Which area is higher on resale value, apples to apples?

Old 11-02-2015, 08:13 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:

Make sure your wearing cleaning sleeping pants & flip flops when you stop in town for a gallon of milk, just to annoyed the heck out of them.....

The pompous are the same everywhere but the next one who comments you should leave ask them to make you a cash offer, you have posted about your desire to relocate....

Old 11-02-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Make sure your wearing cleaning sleeping pants & flip flops when you stop in town for a gallon of milk, just to annoyed the heck out of them.....

The pompous are the same everywhere but the next one who comments you should leave ask them to make you a cash offer, you have posted about your desire to relocate....
Don't forget the messy bun too!

I had three cash buyers bid for my late parents house-which happened to be right next door to me. All of them tried to low balled it by 80K. They figured cash talked and that it would make me sell it to them for that much less because it was cash. What was the difference between cash and someone taking a mortgage on my side? Either way I got paid for the sale. All three were from Long Island. They guessed wrong. Might be a backwater hick, but my parents didn't raise stupid. I got my price in the end-for cash.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I hear you. I guess I should have rephrased the question, which is a more desirable location in terms of amenities, access to highway , esp for a young family with elementary school kids? Which area is higher on resale value, apples to apples?
Now for me, it would be somewhere in Fishkill. Also with the school feeder pattern of Fishkill, Van Wyck and then John Jay. You have access to a great elementary school. It's the ONLY school on the lower Dutchess side that if the school budget doesn't pass, they still get to do field trips because they can walk to places in town. It's also easy to get to Rt.9 where all the shopping is- Fishkill to Poughkeepsie. But there are plenty of ways to get to those stores without getting to the highway-Rt.9 if you take the time to learn them so you don't get stopped in traffic. I know a lot of back ways around and can miss the cluster mucks when there's a accident on I-84 where the main roads get gridlocked because everyone's GPS takes them to local roads and no one can move.

I myself love the Village of Fishkill. I can walk everywhere and there is plenty of access to everything since Rt.9 goes straight up to Red Hook. And I know the off the beaten track places for shopping when I don't want the big box stores. I'd rather keep local business going than give Wally World money. Beacon has great little shops that carry unusual items. The Arlington area by Vassar College has little shops that have a Boho feel. Then Rhinebeck has great shops and restaurants again with a eclectic mix.

Resale is subject now around here. Toll Brothers built up Merrit Boulevard. They were almost 600K when new, they aren't that now. You don't have to spend a 500K price tag to get a nice place. Sales are picking up again here-it took me just two months to sell my parents place. Others still have sitting on the market because they owe more than what the house is now worth. If you want a cookie cutter McMansion that cropped up here-remember some of them are having issues already and they are less than 10 years old. I'd look for a home with character that is older than 20 years because you'll find a better built home.The newer ones were built as fast as they could and used particle board instead of plywood along with shoddy building practices and repairs are having to be done on some because of cutting corners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York