Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,156 times

Advertisements

Looking for an Ithaca-like town. Ithaca had much of what I liked, but it's become so popular, rents for 2 bedroom apartments are expensive, and I want to try living in or near mountains. Liked SE Vermont, but expensive and feel there has got to be a town that's right for me in my own state of NY.
I'm a vegetarian interested in organics, local foods. a progressive atmosphere and community, the environment, alternative healthcare, hiking, peace and quiet, and books. A college town would be a plus.
Thought to look at Little Falls--has a food co-op and affordable rents.
Anyone have any recommendations for a happy "green" kind of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 05:06 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,270 times
Oneonta has elements that make it sort of a micro-Ithaca. Has a couple universities, though not quite in the same 'class' as Cornell. Generally its a pretty progressive place. Not really the 'mountians,' but then neither is Ithaca. I don't know about a co-op, but it does have a couple health-food stores, farmer's market in the summer, etc. Not a heck of a lot in terms of restaurants, though the Autumn Cafe is a progressive-y kind of place. Worth a look.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:27 PM

172 posts, read 475,998 times
Or you could head about 45 miles east down 28 from Oneonta toward Andes and Margaretville. I've got a place in between those towns. Also Roxbury is over that way. All of them are kinda small, but more in mountains and not super pricey. Or you could go another half hour east to Phoenicia, a little more expensive maybe, but not like Woodstock, which is 15 mins from there.

Or on the other side of the Catskills, farther north, there's Tannersville, not far from Hunter Mountain.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:08 AM

13 posts, read 96,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
Oneonta has elements that make it sort of a micro-Ithaca. Has a couple universities, though not quite in the same 'class' as Cornell. Generally its a pretty progressive place. Not really the 'mountians,' but then neither is Ithaca.
Just my opinion but Oneonta has more problems then Ithaca ever will. Very little job base, no scientific community like a Cornell can draw, far less interesting architecture, a very serious urban decay, significant crime, and while nestled in the rolling hills of the Leatherstocking Region it doesn't have the public forest preserves, water falls, the lake, and gorges that greater Ithaca can boast of.

While there is a "hippy-esq" climate in both towns the defeated and entrenched attitude of 'its not getting better' hangs over Oneonta. It was once a very nice, thriving college town that had a vibrant downtown without need for car to get to everywhere, etc.

Someone cited Andes/Bovina and I would agree it is a far more relaxed community now with everyone just wanting to co-exist. However I don't think you'll find a lot of rental properties for cheap and for years now small farmhouses have been snapped up, spruced up and flipped out with outragious price tags. The anticipated creation of the Aman Resort at Broadlands Estate will bring even more wealthy people to the community.

Little Falls is a town with great architecture, rolling hill views, and a lot of opportunity to acquire a home for cheap. The rub is employment as jobs are few and far between.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:12 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
The anticipated creation of the Aman Resort at Broadlands Estate will bring even more wealthy people to the community.
Ya I can anticipate seeing the Mercedes, Hummer, and helicopter crowd ruining this area if it goes through. Currently we only have one part time resident that owns a Mercedes. And the fact that everyone in town knows that speaks for itself.

At least it will be the only place you can buy a 6 pack for 20 dollars since we are dry and the town let them sell Alcohol and not anyone else. We shall see...

Why do the rich need to crap up others people paradise... Pave Paradise put up a 300 million dollar parking lot. But for the OP I would say New Kingston... We are green and we hate wind energy lol.

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 02-03-2008 at 02:21 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 PM

96 posts, read 394,530 times
Try Saranac Lake. I love that town... very beautiful, has a small but funky village and a great library. It is first a year-round community and second a tourist town. There is an organic/natural food store, a couple of galleries and boutiques and you are 20 minutes down the road from trendy Lake Placid (which you also might check out but that place is less down home). We summer up there a couple of weeks a year and my banjo-playing husband found two different drop-in folk music jam sessions that welcomed him right in.

Last edited by Jansu; 02-05-2008 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-07-2008, 05:21 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Cool Yes to Saranac Lake, but.................................

You need to really LIKE winter and winter activities and temperatures and snow to live in Saranac Lake. I agree that it is beautiful and quaint and all of the things that you just mentioned, BUT there is a huge difference in visiting in the summer and living there year-round. More and more people are doing just that (year round), but would consider it a huge factor to research prior

Old 02-07-2008, 09:14 PM

96 posts, read 394,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
You need to really LIKE winter and winter activities and temperatures and snow to live in Saranac Lake. I agree that it is beautiful and quaint and all of the things that you just mentioned, BUT there is a huge difference in visiting in the summer and living there year-round. More and more people are doing just that (year round), but would consider it a huge factor to research prior
Well, she asked for a mountain town. The Adirondacks in general in the winter are snowy and cold. And yes, I have been up there in the winter to ski. I assume that if the OP wants a mountain town, she knows that cold and snow are part of the package.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:52 AM

13 posts, read 96,235 times
As we all know New York State has enough diverse geography that very hilly to mountain settings can be found in many areas - without having to be in the heart of the Adirondacks.

The Catskills, Leatherstocking Region, Berkshires, Hudson Valley, etc all afford enough ellevation to make the views spectacular.

The rub is generally matching the views and amenities available nearby with quality of living and the economics of jobs/taxes. Taxes (property, school, sales) in some counties are just insane and hard to swallow.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 PM

79 posts, read 359,261 times
Alfred NY. Home to Alfred University and a SUNY school Very small town in Western part of state 1 hour + south of Rochester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York