U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2006, 07:11 PM

33 posts, read 226,658 times

Advertisements

hi everyone
We may relocate to the jersey area. i am looking at Warwick NY and having my hubby travel 1 hour to his new office in Roseland NJ. Does anyone know if the taxes are high in Warwick?

Are the schools good, good place to raise a family? good location for kids?

Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 01:50 AM

1,173 posts, read 5,431,060 times
Taxes are relatively high, but since you're from New Jersey you likely won't be shocked.

The biggest problem is the one hour commute time. I took some classes at Roseland and it took me between 1.5 and 2 hours to get there from here. I'd get on 17a (which goes right by my house), to 17 to 287 and that's how long it took. Longer in winter. The problem is going over Mt. Peter and Tuxedo Mountain. There's usually a conga line of cars in the AM and the twisty windy road is so.... interesting.... that you frequently see some very high-end sports cars flying down it. In winter, many people just skip that drive and take Rt. 94 to Goshen or Chester to hop on Rt. 17 to the Thruway and then to 287. It's longer but safer.

I highly suggest coming to see the area though. I think you should try doing a test commute to see just what it's like. It is a nice area but again, commuting is not easy if you have to drive any distance. Other places you may wish to look at nearby are Tuxedo, Suffern, Monroe, and Sloatsburg.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:39 AM

30 posts, read 90,968 times
anyone know what the ball-park property tax rate is?

Old 02-03-2007, 04:28 AM

1,173 posts, read 5,431,060 times
Good question. The town just introduced a $76 million school budget. I'll have to look it up.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 15,006 times
I am also relocating to Warwick. The house is located on Old Mt. Peter Road. I am terrified of the winding mountains that everyone has been speaking of. Jason can I also take the route you suggested to avoid the dangerous mountains. I am not sure if I also have to go over the Tuxedo Mountain but I know for sure, I have to go over the Mount Peter as the house is addressed under 100 Old Mt. Peter Road. Are the mountainous roads really very dangerous? In the winter months I assume yes, but if you drive slow and careful do you think it is safe to move there?

Old 06-15-2009, 04:50 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,083,953 times
Default Tuxedo Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Taxes are relatively high, but since you're from New Jersey you likely won't be shocked.

The biggest problem is the one hour commute time. I took some classes at Roseland and it took me between 1.5 and 2 hours to get there from here. I'd get on 17a (which goes right by my house), to 17 to 287 and that's how long it took. Longer in winter. The problem is going over Mt. Peter and Tuxedo Mountain. There's usually a conga line of cars in the AM and the twisty windy road is so.... interesting.... that you frequently see some very high-end sports cars flying down it. In winter, many people just skip that drive and take Rt. 94 to Goshen or Chester to hop on Rt. 17 to the Thruway and then to 287. It's longer but safer.
Many years ago, we lived in Vernon, NJ my hubby worked in Tarrytown NY (GM) he used to travel over Tuxedo Mountain, one night in the winter he had worked overtime and I waited and waited, around 11PM I got a call, come get me......the roads were covered in snow and to keep from going over the cliff he hugged the mountain going down, his car hitting the side of the mountain.....the car was damaged but he was OK. After that he'd go over the hill by the old Lloyds and over Greenwood Lake, into Ringwood and down into 17, then the thruway. Either way, was time consuming and 110 miles a day.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 9,940 times
You can also go up Warwick Turnpike and thru West Milford NJ, along Macopin Rd and Echo Lake Road and get to Rt 23, get to Rt 287/Riverdale NJ exit in approximately 35-40 minutes, no really big hills to worry about. We travel this all the time to visit family in NJ. From 17A you can also go up South St Extension Road by Larry's Deli to Brady Road and cut over to Warwick Tpk. We live in Homestead Village in Warwick, takes us 45 minutes to Lincoln Park, NJ, which is 10 minutes off from Rt 23, and south of the Rt 287 intersection. Roseland is along Rt 280, but could also probably be reached more easily via secondary roads, rather than Rt 287 to Rt 80 to Rt 287. Most times a map program will not send you on a secondary route such as this, better to look at a map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York