Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 09:29 PM

45 posts, read 100,288 times

Advertisements

Hello,

If you were planning to drive across the US alone, what would be your considerations, what route would you take and why, and were would you stay along the way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 06:53 AM

92,554 posts, read 122,822,263 times
I-90 is a straight shot but you have portions of the route that have tolls.

As for places to stay, perhaps the Chicago or Cleveland areas would fit what you are looking for.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:20 PM

Thank you ckh.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:13 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,154,417 times
What time of year? Driving solo on I90 is not something to be casually done during the winter.

Another option for you to consider is to drive across Canada on the Trans-Canada Highway. But not during winter.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:32 PM

40 posts, read 50,242 times
Hey, this post is right up my alley! I went on a cross country trip with my dad 2 summers ago. We left from San Francisco, drove up to Seattle, then east back to New York where we are from. The route we took was phenomenal- we planned out each leg of the journey to see several national parks, monuments, and cities along the way. Winter might not be the best time to do it, as someone mentioned earlier. But the route we took from WA is as follows.

I-90 east through Washington, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois. Once you get to Illinois be sure to stop in Chicago along the way to sightsee. Continue on I-90 until you reach Cleveland, where you will take I-77 south and hop on I-76 east, which becomes I-80. From there, you will cross through north central PA and New Jersey. Eventually, close to NYC, you'll merge with I-95 and take this over the George Washington Bridge.

It's worth taking a detour to see Glacier National Park in Montana, if you have the time. Most beautiful place I've been to. As someone said before though, this trip in the winter would be very difficult.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:12 PM

This is great. Just the information I was hoping for. Thank you both markjames and island_boy.

I am planning my trip this summer. Even then I am concerned about the summer rains. I lived in Maryland for a couple of years after being raised in Northern Cali. I was astonished by the buckets of rain and cracking, ground-shaking thunder storms in the summer afternoons. There was no driving in it. My windshield wipers just couldn't keep up and I had to just pull over and park until it stopped.

After the first year I grew to love those awsome storms. Still, not interested in trying to drive in them though (smile).

Thanks for your help :-)

Old 12-30-2015, 07:32 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,563,915 times
Just stay I-90 all the way through Ohio then continue straight onto I-80 through PA and NJ.

Actually you might want to cut down to 80 before Chicago to bypass, unless you want to go through it. Either 35 or 39.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:08 PM

173 posts, read 244,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island_boy View Post
Hey, this post is right up my alley! I went on a cross country trip with my dad 2 summers ago. We left from San Francisco, drove up to Seattle, then east back to New York where we are from. The route we took was phenomenal- we planned out each leg of the journey to see several national parks, monuments, and cities along the way. Winter might not be the best time to do it, as someone mentioned earlier. But the route we took from WA is as follows.

I-90 east through Washington, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois. Once you get to Illinois be sure to stop in Chicago along the way to sightsee. Continue on I-90 until you reach Cleveland, where you will take I-77 south and hop on I-76 east, which becomes I-80. From there, you will cross through north central PA and New Jersey. Eventually, close to NYC, you'll merge with I-95 and take this over the George Washington Bridge.

It's worth taking a detour to see Glacier National Park in Montana, if you have the time. Most beautiful place I've been to. As someone said before though, this trip in the winter would be very difficult.
Depends where in NY the OP is going. If he is going to Buffalo, Albany, etc., than he can just stay on 90, instead of switching to 80. More to NY than just NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York