Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,672 times

Advertisements

Hello. We are ukrainian family of 6, currently living in NYC. We are planing to move next summer and trying to pick the right place for us.
We have 4 kids (all under 10), husband is physician, I'm staying at home. Our family loves outdoor activities, snow, animals, fishing.
We was thinking about upstate (Rochester, Syracuse area) or Albany and noticed that houses are very cheap there.
We would be very happy to find an old house and restore it and have a hobby farm for kids.
Do you think this area will be right for us? How about ukrainian, russian communities, churches? Why houses is so cheap (150-200K for 4bdrm, old farm house with nice size land)?
Can you please compare Albany and Syracuse areas for us?
Thank you for your time and effort. We really appreciate this.
Have a blessed day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 12:13 PM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Look into the western suburbs of Syracuse. Syracuse's West Side and into nearby suburbs like Solvay(about 10% Ukrainian), Westvale, Fairmount, Camillus and Lakeland have notable Ukrainian populations. This includes clubs, churches and festivals.

DeWitt, an eastern suburb of Syracuse, has a Russian and to a lesser degree, Ukrainian population as well. I believe that the town supervisor(similar to mayor) is Ed Michalenko.

Westhill, Jamesville-DeWitt, West Genesee and perhaps Solvay and East Syracuse-Minoa are at least good school districts that cover these areas and have people of Ukrainian and/or Russian descent.

Binghamton, especially Johnson City, is another area with a Ukrainian community. Auburn, a small city about 30 minutes west of Syracuse is another community/area with a Ukrainian community. Auburn has a club, church and had a parish school until a year or two ago. Johnson City has a Ukrainian cemetery, which I believe is affiliated with a parish there. Auburn's NW Quarter is where the community is concentrated and in Johnson City, I'd look either south of Floral or north of Route 17/Harry L. Drive.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-28-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 03:56 PM

Also, if you want something rural, the Jordan-Elbridge area in between Auburn and Camillus(West Genesee Schools) could work. It essentially bridges the western suburbs of Syracuse and Auburn. Schools are solid and according to what I've seen, it has a relatively notable Ukrainian population. Weedsport, an area/SD just north of Auburn and NW of the Jordan-Elbridge area, is a good school district with a rural/small town character.

Just for reference, according to 2008-2012 census info, the Solvay Union Free School District has the highest Ukrainian percentage in the state in terms of residents at 7.7%. Westhill, West Genesee, Jordan-Elbridge and Auburn City aren't too far behind.

Webster and Williamson in the Rochester area and Waterford-Halfmoon in the Albany area are a few that are up there as well. Waterford-Halfmoon has the second highest percentage in the state.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-28-2015 at 04:29 PM..

Old 12-29-2015, 12:15 PM

OP, just curious, but what kind of physician is your husband? I only ask because there has been a doctor shortage documented for Upstate NY. So, his service and expertise could/would be in demand.

As for churches and other clubs/facilities at least in the Syracuse/CNY area, this could help: St. John The Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church

First Ukrainian Pentecostal Church - Home

THE UKRAINIAN CULTURAL CENTER OF SYRACUSE WELCOMES YOU!!

Syracuse Ukrainian Festival at St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church | Syracuse Guru

Ukrainian Fest 2015 to serve 11,000 pyrohy dumplings, 60 gallons of borsch soup (video) | syracuse.com

Slavic Full Gospel Church - Main

Ukrainian culture and pride on display at Auburn festival

St. Luke's Ukrainian Orthodox Church

Food, culture centerpiece of Ukrainian festival - News - Uticaod - Utica, NY

Saints Peter And Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church -

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church, Auburn, NY - Home Page -

Home Page

https://m.facebook.com/pages/St-Mary...08069279235093

There are churches in Utica and Rome as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-29-2015 at 12:25 PM..

Old 12-29-2015, 08:26 PM

What about a home like this, OP?: Brutus Real Estate - 2278 State Route 31, Brutus, NY, 13166

It is in a good school district, isn't too far from the Ukrainian Club and Church in Auburn to the south and isn't too far from the Thruway.

Here are some more homes in the towns/cities mentioned, as well as some nearby towns: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-29-2015 at 08:37 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,672 times
Thank you everyone for your help! You gave us really usefull info. Thanks a lot.
My husband is pediatrician.
The links are very helpfull to. I'll dig them tonight.
We are baptists. I know, majority of ukrainians are orthodox, some are catholics, but not us. We will attend baptist church. But thank you anyway.
The house is our dream house. Really. I want it right now!

Old 12-31-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR6 View Post
Thank you everyone for your help! You gave us really usefull info. Thanks a lot.
My husband is pediatrician.
The links are very helpfull to. I'll dig them tonight.
We are baptists. I know, majority of ukrainians are orthodox, some are catholics, but not us. We will attend baptist church. But thank you anyway.
The house is our dream house. Really. I want it right now!
There is a Slavic Baptist Church at the intersection of Onondaga Road and Split Rock Road in the Split Rock area of the town of Onondaga(within the West Genesee SD). There are 2 others in Upstate NY, with one in Endicott in the Binghamton area and one on Allens Creek Road in the Rochester area(Brighton). So, that may give an idea of where to look.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, if you want something rural, the Jordan-Elbridge area in between Auburn and Camillus(West Genesee Schools) could work. It essentially bridges the western suburbs of Syracuse and Auburn. Schools are solid and according to what I've seen, it has a relatively notable Ukrainian population. Weedsport, an area/SD just north of Auburn and NW of the Jordan-Elbridge area, is a good school district with a rural/small town character.

Just for reference, according to 2008-2012 census info, the Solvay Union Free School District has the highest Ukrainian percentage in the state in terms of residents at 7.7%. Westhill, West Genesee, Jordan-Elbridge and Auburn City aren't too far behind.

Webster and Williamson in the Rochester area and Waterford-Halfmoon in the Albany area are a few that are up there as well. Waterford-Halfmoon has the second highest percentage in the state.
Just to update, but according to newly released info, Waterford-Halfmoon is now #1 just ahead of Solvay in terms of having the highest percentage of people of Ukrainian descent. Waterford-Halfmoon is north of Albany.

Also, another community/SD west of Syracuse that has a relatively high percentage is Marcellus. It has a mix of rural/small town(village) and suburban environments. It also isn't too far from the Slavic Baptist Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York