Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 07:11 AM

94 posts, read 159,243 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I currently live in Cortland, near the SUNY Cortland campus, but neither of us really like it here. We had to make a last-minute move for work in September and just decided on Cortland because it was in the middle of each of our jobs and had lots of options for apartment rentals. I work on the north side of the city Syracuse and my spouse works in Newark Valley, so we each drive 35-40 minutes each way.

Preble is still somewhat in the middle, but there's no rentals there from what I can find...probably because it's in the middle of nowhere, which is fine, but it's nearly impossible to find an apartment in a place that isolated. There's apartments in Tully, but Tully is way closer to Syracuse than it is to Newark Valley, so that wouldn't really be fair. I found one listing on Craigslist for an apartment in the village of McGraw, which is still in the middle, but I'd imagine apartments in McGraw are few and far between.

We don't mind being in the middle of nowhere, and we don't mind being in a nice village...but I don't know of any other option right now to find an apartment based on the research I've done since southern Onondaga County / northern Cortland County is rather isolated. Anyone have any ideas? If we did relocate, it wouldn't be until Summer at the earliest, but more likely next Fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 08:36 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Are both of your jobs so good that neither one will consider quitting and finding a new employer closer to one or the other?

My suggestion is to look into mobile home rentals. Sometimes, they're even nicer than renting an apartment.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:02 AM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
What about Dryden, which will put you closer to Ithaca and Newark Valley, while still being doable in terms of the commute to the north Side of Syracuse? I actually know a guy that commutes from the Liverpool area to TC3 just about every weekday. So, there are people that make that commute.

Amazing Apartment Rentals in Ithaca, Dryden, Groton, Newfield, Tompkins County

Poets Landing Apartments - Conifer Realty LLC

Dryden NY Apartments

Lifestyle Properties - Apartment Homes in Ithaca, NY

Old 02-18-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Are both of your jobs so good that neither one will consider quitting and finding a new employer closer to one or the other?

My suggestion is to look into mobile home rentals. Sometimes, they're even nicer than renting an apartment.
Neither of us can leave our jobs right now...probably not for a few years. Mobile home rentals are not a bad idea.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Dryden, which will put you closer to Ithaca and Newark Valley, while still being doable in terms of the commute to the north Side of Syracuse? I actually know a guy that commutes from the Liverpool area to TC3 just about every weekday. So, there are people that make that commute.

Amazing Apartment Rentals in Ithaca, Dryden, Groton, Newfield, Tompkins County

Poets Landing Apartments - Conifer Realty LLC

Dryden NY Apartments

Lifestyle Properties - Apartment Homes in Ithaca, NY
I think Cortland is about as far away from Syracuse as I'd like to be. I have to be at work by 5:45 AM, and getting up at 4:30 AM to leave by 5 AM from Cortland is early enough for me.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readthebox View Post
I think Cortland is about as far away from Syracuse as I'd like to be. I have to be at work by 5:45 AM, and getting up at 4:30 AM to leave by 5 AM from Cortland is early enough for me.
What about Homer instead? Perhaps McGraw as well.......

Old 02-18-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Homer instead? Perhaps McGraw as well.......
Homer is a possibility. I haven't spent much time there, but it has a nice walkable village, doesn't it? McGraw would also work, but are there any rentals there? I saw one listing in McGraw on Craigslist but that was it.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readthebox View Post
Homer is a possibility. I haven't spent much time there, but it has a nice walkable village, doesn't it? McGraw would also work, but are there any rentals there? I saw one listing in McGraw on Craigslist but that was it.
Yes, Homer is a walkable village and you are still close to 81, as well as the shopping along 281.

I'm not sure about rentals in McGraw.

This may help: Cinquanti Real Estate - Serving Central New York since 1968

Old 02-18-2016, 02:11 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
At least 4 rentals in Homer listed today in: Cortland Standard .net

Another ink stained source for local rental listings: The Freeville Shopper | The Suburban Shopper - Contact

Old 02-19-2016, 05:18 AM

It looks like those links and Craigslist will be my best options to search around when it's time. I even see one listing from McGraw in the Cortland Standard, as well as Little York which is also an option.

As long as there's easy access to 81 and/or 281 it's still convenient for commuting, since I would take 81 the whole way and my spouse would take 281 to 13 to 38. We'd probably be closer to 81 in Homer or McGraw than we currently are in Cortland. It takes me 6-10 minutes to get to 81 right now depending on traffic/traffic lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York