Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:40 PM

7 posts, read 7,937 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the input guys, really appreciate it. As for the school, my sisters probably want the options of AP Advanced Placement courses and of after-school activities (they're currently in track). Will definitely have to look a little more into Clarkstown, it would be nicer to be in something a little "bigger" after living in tiny Silverdale for a year an a half. Previously we were living in Henderson (near Las Vegas) before, and it was a much bigger, busier area. Orange County is definitely an option, as it's within commuting distance. Pretty much anything within 30-ish minutes from Stony Point would be ideal. Commuting isn't too bad as long as you stay on one side of the Hudson, right? I assume lots of people would be traveling back and fourth the Tappen Zee to get into the city, and we won't be looking to get into the city too often. I'll most likely be attending Rockland Community College too so I will be going back and fourth from there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 06:28 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,988,508 times
Rock land County was once a great place to live, until the Hasidim came in and bought up everything with money stolen from taxpayers , all with no questions asked by the politicians the keep re-electing. Do yourself a favor and go east of the Hudson ( Putnam, Dutchess or Westchester counties). I live in orange and am moving as soon as I can

Old 03-06-2016, 07:49 PM

We could stretch to living in Orange County if it's no more than 30-40 minutes away from Stony Point. Would really rather prefer not to live on the other side of the river since that would just be an unnecessary hassle. And after talking about it, my parents are now looking to buy something rather than rent something, then just rent it out or sell it when we move in 2-3 years. Appreciate the input.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:25 PM

92,159 posts, read 122,387,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Name View Post
We could stretch to living in Orange County if it's no more than 30-40 minutes away from Stony Point. Would really rather prefer not to live on the other side of the river since that would just be an unnecessary hassle. And after talking about it, my parents are now looking to buy something rather than rent something, then just rent it out or sell it when we move in 2-3 years. Appreciate the input.
Perhaps Cornwall or Highland Falls due to its proximity to West Point and they could possibly rent the home out to those that are stationed/work there.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:58 PM

We found two houses where my dad will be looking at in person later this week. One is in Stony Point zoned for North Rockland, and the other is in Putnam Valley for the Putnam Valley High school. Any info for the Putnam Valley high?

Old 03-07-2016, 08:16 PM

19,056 posts, read 16,864,173 times
No info on Putnam High but your dad should look seriously at the commute, crossing the Bear Mountain Bridge every day is a cost and a bit of a hassle having to travel two lane roads both sides of the river, not very fun especially in the winter. He might want to look more on the Stony Point side of the river and try and avoid a river crossing. Good Luck

Old 03-08-2016, 09:51 AM

313 posts, read 1,050,028 times
Putnam Valley is a nice area and I seem to recall that it has outstanding music ed programs- but as the above poster said it's on the other side of the river which will make for a more difficult commute.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:20 PM

Commute is a concern for sure, but he is working on the new Tappen Zee Bridge and his place of work will maybe switch from one side of the river to the other as the construction and then eventually demolition happens. So if he's not commuting now, he might later. It's irritating for sure, haha. But since he's out there now, he can make the decision if it's worth it now, it's definitely something to think about. Glad to hear Putnam Valley is a good area, thank you.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:25 PM

Looks like we decided on the one on Rockland County!

Old 03-08-2016, 07:25 PM

19,056 posts, read 16,864,173 times
Good Luck on your choice, enjoy the right coast... :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York