Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 08:12 AM

973 posts, read 1,411,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I believe another part of the reason is that most everywhere in Westchester is more easily accessible to midtown Manhattan vs Long Island. One of the furthest points in Westchester is about 55 miles to midtown, which is exactly how far I am from the same point. Only thing is that I am only about halfway out on Long Island; there's still a lot of Island left to traverse.

Another consideration is transportation. If you're in Westchester and need to head to Boston, you have options. For those of us out further on LI, we have to decide between one of two ferries (Port Jefferson/Bridgeport CT or Orient Point/New London CT or driving west into NYC to head back around to Boston. We can take a train into Penn (again with the west movement and backtracking) and then transfer to Boston. Or we can take the Port Jeff Ferry and connect with Amtrak in Bridgeport.
This is why you can't compare westchester to Long Island. Long Island is much much bigger and has way more diversity in terms of distance from manhattan and lifestyle. Long Island as a whole compares to the entire Hudson Valley. Most of Suffolk compares to putnam/dutchess/orange much more than westchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 12:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
This is why you can't compare westchester to Long Island. Long Island is much much bigger and has way more diversity in terms of distance from manhattan and lifestyle. Long Island as a whole compares to the entire Hudson Valley. Most of Suffolk compares to putnam/dutchess/orange much more than westchester.
I do not know much about Putnam/Dutchess/Orange, that written, I think one might have to look at Suffolk as two different places under one county name. Western Suffolk and Eastern Suffolk are very different from one another.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:09 PM

62 posts, read 89,476 times
In regards to Westchester, the political breakdown can very easily come down to ethnicity in many cases. Areas where you find more Italian, Greek, Irish and Albanian communities, you're bound to find a much larger Republican base. Especially among the Italians. Areas with a larger Latino, Asian, Black, and Jewish populations vote predominately Democrat. Your "white non-hispanic" Westchester resident can swing either way. Really depends on education and economics. It's really a microcosm of the country as a whole, I dare say.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:05 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,721,719 times
In both Westchster and Nassau, over 50% of NHWs are Italian American or Jewish. But Westchester is less white than Nassau. In addition, it's likely the case that the LI Jewish population is less liberal than that of Westchester.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:09 PM

So Westchester was even more Democratic than under Obama (the Clintons probably enjoyed a "hometown" boost, plus Trump was less appealing than Romney). In Nassau, the GOP vote was more or less the same, with perhaps the North Shore swinging D and the South Shore swinging R?

Old 11-18-2016, 07:37 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
I noticed that the counties closer to NYC went for Clinton while the further ones went for Trump. On Long Island it was Nassau for Clinton and Suffolk for Trump. And in the Hudson Valley it was Westchester and Rockland for Clinton and Orange, Putnam and Dutchess for Trump. So maybe the people on this thread who compared Nassau to Westchester and Suffolk to Putnam/Orange/Dutchess are on to something.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:43 PM

Westchester and Nassau have fewer working class whites.

Italian ancestry is also a big indicator of Trump support (Staten Island was Trump's best in the NYC area).

Old 11-20-2016, 03:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I do not know much about Putnam/Dutchess/Orange, that written, I think one might have to look at Suffolk as two different places under one county name. Western Suffolk and Eastern Suffolk are very different from one another.
As someone mostly familiar with western Suffolk, what do you think are the big differences?

Old 11-20-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Westchester and Nassau have fewer working class whites.

Italian ancestry is also a big indicator of Trump support (Staten Island was Trump's best in the NYC area).
Correction: Ocean County NJ was the highest (65%; Staten Island and Putnam were both 57%).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York