Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:06 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times

Advertisements

The amount of taxable income lost is staggering:

Taxes: New Yorkers flee to less-expensive states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 03:11 PM

953 posts, read 842,941 times
Good for those with the sense and ability to leave ... let the exodus continue.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:38 PM

93,313 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Not surprising, as it is saying the same things that have been said on here for years between people retiring, moving to adjacent states(with some still working in NYS), negative population estimates(key word), to those moving South to real/perceived affordable areas, jobs, property taxes and immigrants(which have always been a part of the NYS population narrative).

Old 05-11-2016, 09:49 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
So, let me get this straight: The woman being used as an example in the article moved from a quaint town in the Finger Lakes, not too far from Rochester, to a town that has lost 10% of its population since 2000? She traded a town with clean lakes and wineries near Rochester to a PA mining town outside of Erie. She paid $125k more for the house than the house in NY was worth. All to save $3000 a year.

No mention of the PA towns having a 1-2% wage tax. No mention that Saegertown consist of not much more than a feed mill, a prison, and some gas wells. So, at best this is a lateral move and not one that really illustrates an advantage to moving out.

That said, I can see the advantage of other areas of the country that are currently growing quickly with low taxes. And like NJ, most of NY is clearing out and being replaced by immigrants.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:00 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
So, let me get this straight: The woman being used as an example in the article moved from a quaint town in the Finger Lakes, not too far from Rochester, to a town that has lost 10% of its population since 2000? She traded a town with clean lakes and wineries near Rochester to a PA mining town outside of Erie. She paid $125k more for the house than the house in NY was worth. All to save $3000 a year.

No mention of the PA towns having a 1-2% wage tax. No mention that Saegertown consist of not much more than a feed mill, a prison, and some gas wells. So, at best this is a lateral move and not one that really illustrates an advantage to moving out.

That said, I can see the advantage of other areas of the country that are currently growing quickly with low taxes. And like NJ, most of NY is clearing out and being replaced by immigrants.
So the woman is an IDIOT, and/or the article is just propaganda.

There are no fast growing parts of the country these days. This isn't the 80s.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:41 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
For me leaving NY would not be just about taxes or cost of living. It'd be about politics and culture.

Politically NY is forcibly too far left and anybody moderate (myself) or conservative (most of my rural neighbors and family) have ABSOLUTELY NO voice in anything here because of the overwhelmingly liberal giants such as NYC, Albany, Ithaca/Cornell, Rochester, Syracuse.

And yet these city folk keep passing or pushing laws on everybody that are inconvenient or downright broken for those living in the small town and country sectors of the state.

NYC/downstate should either fall off into the ocean or become its own state in my opinion.

Culturally I've seen so much of the local flavor being buried by droves of transplants from New Jersey, Connecticut and Rhode Island. Local friendliness? Dying. Local speech? Dying.

While not all of them are rude and callous people, far too many are, and they are ruining the atmosphere this part of the state had with their entitled garbage.

Not to mention making it even harder for the poor already here to get by and live their life in peace. "You can't have that gun! You can't have those cars in your field! You can't have a job because we think that industry is bad for the environment! NAG NAG NAG"

Perception-wise I am tired of being told I am making my history up because of all the stereotypes about NY. The reason so many people in the south or out west don't believe that NY is anything other than urbane, rude, selfish, liberal and "holier than thou" is because those people run the state and advertise it that way. They crowd the tourist areas, they run the wineries, they travel to other states, act like jerks, and give us all a bad name.

I'd rather live in PA where if I tell somebody I'm a country man from the hills I am met with "alright" instead of "I don't believe you".

I get sick of defending my history against the heavy stereotyping of NY. I'm tired of not having a political voice if it doesn't agree with mega liberals. I'm tired of people from Jersey or Connecticut moving out here, looking down on us and complaining because they had to build a well for their new three story mansion in the forest. I'm tired of then being represented by and lumped in with those transplants when out of staters visit.

I'm not alone on this. Far from it.

So it isn't JUST taxes that are driving people away, it's the invasive urban culture routing all the natives too.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:30 PM

93,313 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
For me leaving NY would not be just about taxes or cost of living. It'd be about politics and culture.

Politically NY is forcibly too far left and anybody moderate (myself) or conservative (most of my rural neighbors and family) have ABSOLUTELY NO voice in anything here because of the overwhelmingly liberal giants such as NYC, Albany, Ithaca/Cornell, Rochester, Syracuse.

And yet these city folk keep passing or pushing laws on everybody that are inconvenient or downright broken for those living in the small town and country sectors of the state.

NYC/downstate should either fall off into the ocean or become its own state in my opinion.

Culturally I've seen so much of the local flavor being buried by droves of transplants from New Jersey, Connecticut and Rhode Island. Local friendliness? Dying. Local speech? Dying.

While not all of them are rude and callous people, far too many are, and they are ruining the atmosphere this part of the state had with their entitled garbage.

Not to mention making it even harder for the poor already here to get by and live their life in peace. "You can't have that gun! You can't have those cars in your field! You can't have a job because we think that industry is bad for the environment! NAG NAG NAG"

Perception-wise I am tired of being told I am making my history up because of all the stereotypes about NY. The reason so many people in the south or out west don't believe that NY is anything other than urbane, rude, selfish, liberal and "holier than thou" is because those people run the state and advertise it that way. They crowd the tourist areas, they run the wineries, they travel to other states, act like jerks, and give us all a bad name.

I'd rather live in PA where if I tell somebody I'm a country man from the hills I am met with "alright" instead of "I don't believe you".

I get sick of defending my history against the heavy stereotyping of NY. I'm tired of not having a political voice if it doesn't agree with mega liberals. I'm tired of people from Jersey or Connecticut moving out here, looking down on us and complaining because they had to build a well for their new three story mansion in the forest. I'm tired of then being represented by and lumped in with those transplants when out of staters visit.

So it isn't JUST taxes that are driving people away, it's the invasive urban culture routing all the natives too.
Are people in any of the Upstate cities telling people in rural areas this? I could see where people Downstate think that Upstate is just a bunch of completely poor, little hick towns versus Upstate cities denying some rural areas their history/culture.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-13-2016 at 12:42 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 01:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

Goodbye and good riddance.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are people in any of the Upstate cities telling people in rural areas this? I could see where people Downstate think that Upstate is just a bunch of completely poor, little hick towns versus Upstate cities denying some rural areas their history/culture.
Yeah, actually. It does happen; albeit not quite as often. I have served some people from Syracuse before at the winery who commented on how dumpy Yates county (where the tasting room is) was in their opinion.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Goodbye and good riddance.
I'd feel the same about your set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York