U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 942 times

Advertisements

Im looking for rural or ruralish towns near albany 30 min or less cant beto far from amsterdam however we were looking to
Rent a home for cheap a small house with alittle property to not be around ppl for some privacy im at a desprare time to where we re living now is being sold and we can no longer stay here central bridge that is...so we d like to find a quiet place to rent eitherlong term or short thats undesided but idk where to look and no1 is any help with this I no nothing of upstate ny besides where we re living and some of amsteerdam I could really use some1s help if possible and I appoligize if this site isnt meant for questions such asthese but I just figured the last forum I clicked on was speaking on somthing similar so please anyhelp is better then none and would be greatly appropriated!
Thank you for your time...amanda
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 05:26 AM

7,841 posts, read 8,698,084 times
Wanting to be within about 30 minutes of Albany and not too far from Amsterdam really limits your options because you're looking west of Albany/Schnectady and there's lots of suburban development northwest of Schnectady and west and southwest of Albany. Your best bets are probably Schoharie, Duanesburg, and Esperance south of the Mohawk River and maybe Hagaman and Galway north of the river.

If you're looking for rural/semi-rural areas within a half hour of Albany without the requirement of being "not too far from Amsterdam", southern Albany County and Greene County -- towns like Altamont, Berne, Knox, Westerlo, Greenville, New Baltimore -- would be good places to look. Rensselaer and Columbia Counties, across the Hudson River from Albany, would be even better, but they would be on the opposite side of Albany and pretty fair from Amsterdam. Most of the central and eastern parts of the counties are still predominantly rural: Cropseyville, Melrose, Averill Park, Grafton, South Schodack, Grafton, Nassau, Valatie, Chatham, etc.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:13 PM

885 posts, read 1,057,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Wanting to be within about 30 minutes of Albany and not too far from Amsterdam really limits your options because you're looking west of Albany/Schnectady and there's lots of suburban development northwest of Schnectady and west and southwest of Albany. Your best bets are probably Schoharie, Duanesburg, and Esperance south of the Mohawk River and maybe Hagaman and Galway north of the river.

If you're looking for rural/semi-rural areas within a half hour of Albany without the requirement of being "not too far from Amsterdam", southern Albany County and Greene County -- towns like Altamont, Berne, Knox, Westerlo, Greenville, New Baltimore -- would be good places to look. Rensselaer and Columbia Counties, across the Hudson River from Albany, would be even better, but they would be on the opposite side of Albany and pretty fair from Amsterdam. Most of the central and eastern parts of the counties are still predominantly rural: Cropseyville, Melrose, Averill Park, Grafton, South Schodack, Grafton, Nassau, Valatie, Chatham, etc.

I would second this post.

We live in Otsego Cty- 3 miles over the Schoharie county line. Very rural- we have 103 acres, or even north of here into Montgomery Cty to places like Canajoharie or Fort Plain, closer to Amsterdam.

Canajoharie is an exit on I-90: it's right there.

From here, near Sharon Springs, we are about 30-40 minute ride to Amsterdam, about 1.25 hrs to Albany. Hubbie commutes to Albany and it's about 55 miles each way to Empire Plaza along Rt 20, to I-88, to I-90. Both Duanesburg and Esperance are closer by 20 miles or so to Albany than we are. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York