Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:09 PM

253 posts, read 805,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
here's information on schools that serve Chestnut Ridge: Greatschools.net Search: chestnut ridge
Wow. The elementary schools are not bad ......but the middle school . I think we have to take these ratings relative to other things in that particular town. For example, Teaneck NJ gets bad ratings throughout from that same site. But speaking out of personal experience, I had the best time going to their schools and really enjoyed my time. The guidance counselors really cared and if you put the effort, an Ivy School was no issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 04:22 PM

92,223 posts, read 122,497,241 times
True, people do have to put the ratings into perspective. I did notice that the schools weren't bad either. So, it has to be something else or just a perception about that part of Rockland County.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,168 times
I live in chestnut ridge Don't believe the anti-Semitic posts about Jews please they are my Nabors besides being wonderful people they are tax paying and law abiding people who are business owners do yourself a favor check out the crime statistics of the Jewish populated areas and you will see you can stroll on my street at 2:00am and there is no worries. We are covered by Ramapo police department sector as opposed to spring valley we pay high taxes for that but its well worth it.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 11,733 times
I recently moved to Chestnut Ridge. So far so good, but honestly I would have to disagree with thetruth10977. I've heard of quite a few cases of the hasidics taking advantage of laws to avoid paying taxes, and they seem to do their best to avoid any and all conversation with those who are not like them. Also, it seems that some homes in Chestnut Ridge actually are matched up with Nanuet High School -- a very good school.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:24 PM

6 posts, read 35,527 times
If you do not have children or do not plan on having children (or plan on sending children to public school) then Chesnut Ridge is great. The houses have a lot of property, they are more reasonably priced than other nearby areas, and it is a beautiful place to live. HOWEVER, the schools stink. I know families that have been forced to send their children to parochial school while they try to move into Pearl River or Nanuet or wherever just to get away from the terrible schools in Chesnut Ridge.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:30 PM

147 posts, read 394,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo View Post
That is one of the best answer / opinion I have heard anywhere. I am a 1st time homebuyer looking in the Rockland area. Spring Valley caught my eye because there are dozen of low priced condos inside Ramapo Tower on South Cole Avenue. But after reading some posts here, I think it might not be a good investment (even though I'm married w/ no kids). Thanks for those good tips.
i lived right down the street from ramapo towers and that area is not that bad

Old 03-30-2009, 10:41 AM

19,071 posts, read 16,882,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth10977 View Post
I live in chestnut ridge Don't believe the anti-Semitic posts about Jews please they are my Nabors besides being wonderful people they are tax paying and law abiding people who are business owners do yourself a favor check out the crime statistics of the Jewish populated areas and you will see you can stroll on my street at 2:00am and there is no worries. We are covered by Ramapo police department sector as opposed to spring valley we pay high taxes for that but its well worth it.
I think what people are saying is when you look at areas like Monsey which is bad. Or better yet go into New Square, I took my daughter through there at her request, she said "what is this place?" My answer was "welcome to Warsaw Poland, 1939!" It's horrible and a miracle that it hasn't burned down.

As I remember Chestnut Ridge and Montebello were created as areas with strict zoning to prevent homes from being turned into buisnesses, yeshiva's etc. This practice has allowed other areas to go way down as they are exempt from taxes and it would appear zoning enforcement and compliance.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:06 PM

147 posts, read 394,083 times
its opinion who you want your neighbors to be

Old 03-30-2009, 03:21 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,204,545 times
Post Knowledge Is Power!!!!

The old saying "knowledge is power" is about the only advice I can give you...for everyone that lives in East Ramapo will die defending it as they try and sell you their home......

Buy a book on buying your first home...read it over and pay attention to the LOCATION - LOCATION - LOCATION part......usually in the first few pages...read it over a few times and then...before it's to late......go look at the high schools that cover East Ramapo...take a tour...if you visit Spring Valley HS on Route 59 off Kennedy Blvd...you will notice numerous security guards throughout the building...try and stay till the end of the day...release time...and look, watch and learn...and then tell me...schools don't matter when buying a home......

As far as school reports matter...the only ones that really count are the ones that do not take money to rate your school...and if the State of NY prepares a test and gives it to all schools within the state and some schools score in the 30's and others in the 80's...once again...where do you want your children to go to school......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York