Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:29 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times

Advertisements

These are for 2016 and from the Buffalo Business Journal: http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...tatedist2.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:42 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
I find is funny that the cities of Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester are #428 - 431 are the 4 worst upstate. I guess all those with ability are choosing to live elsewhere... pity.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I find is funny that the cities of Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester are #428 - 431 are the 4 worst upstate. I guess all those with ability are choosing to live elsewhere... pity.
Or the people that live there go private, charter, homeschool or go to schools in those districts and do just fine. It isn't much different with other urban school districts across the country.

Then you have to consider that they are all some of the biggest school districts in the state. So, it is tough to compare relatively big, diverse, urban school districts to smaller suburban and rural school districts, as you have a MUCH wider range of students, in various ways, in the Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse and Rochester City school districts.

Another thing is that these rankings may speak to the overall affluence of these school districts, give or take, as the affluence rankings are likely not that much different. For instance, in the Syracuse area, the top 3 ranked school districts are about as affluent as you can get in the area(Fayetteville-Manlius, Cazenovia and Skaneateles)

I will say that it is interesting that Williamsville, Niskayuna and Brighton have slipped slightly and Honeoye Falls-Lima, Bethlehem and East Aurora have moved up a little bit. With this said, after a while, the difference between a lot of these districts are really minimal, even going towards the bottom of the list.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-23-2016 at 08:25 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Or the people that live there go private, charter, homeschool or go to schools in those districts and do just fine. It isn't much different with other urban school districts across the country.

Then you have to consider that they are all some of the biggest school districts in the state. So, it is tough to compare relatively big, diverse, urban school districts to smaller suburban and rural school districts, as you have a MUCH wider range of students, in various ways, in the Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse and Rochester City school districts.
I am only commenting on the bottom 4. Like other urban areas it is a shame that for the exorbitant taxes they are paying that the school district for where they live is crap! Same here, those in the city either pay the private route or they move to the burbs to ensure their child's education is not wasted, very few with the option choose to be urban pioneers.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I am only commenting on the bottom 4. Like other urban areas it is a shame that for the exorbitant taxes they are paying that the school district for where they live is crap! Same here, those in the city either pay the private route or they move to the burbs to ensure their child's education is not wasted, very few with the option choose to be urban pioneers.
I know what you are saying, but many just like where they live in those cities and go to the schools there and do fine. It is just that the range is so large and varied, you can/will get a little bit of everything. We've had posters on here that have attended schools in those districts and some that have sent their children to those district that have been fine. These districts may have programs that aren't in suburban districts or the home environment is fine and the children do what they need to do.

I'm not sure if the taxes are as high in these districts as suburban districts, but the residents should(and some do) demand better results as well.

In regards to Rochester, you also have this program: Urban-Suburban Interdistrict Transfer Program Participating suburban/small town schools take in city(mainly Black and Hispanic) kids to attend their schools. So, that is another option in that area.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-23-2016 at 10:29 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I know what you are saying, but many just like where they live in those cities and go to the schools there and do fine. It is just that the range is so large and varied, you can/will get a little bit of everything. We've had posters on here that have attended schools in those districts and some that have sent their children to those district that have been fine. These districts may have programs that aren't in suburban districts or the home environment is fine and the children do what they need to do.

I'm not sure if the taxes are as high in these districts as suburban districts, but the residents should(and some do) demand better results as well.

In regards to Rochester, you also have this program: Urban-Suburban Interdistrict Transfer Program Participating suburban/small town schools take in city(mainly Black and Hispanic) kids to attend their schools. So, that is another option in that area.
You are really idealistic and unrealistic those with means are going the private route or vacating to the burbs that's why the city schools rate so poorly. It is rare to find someone who can afford options risk their child's education at the city schools, maybe at the ES level but not the secondary's.

Taxes at least in Rochester/city of Syracuse are definitely on par or higher then the suburban districts which are providing good services and decent schools. Here the burbs win out hands down...

I will not ever rate/rank special programs where a school can glean off x% of applicants who exceed whatever standard that is not realistic. Nor is your send a minority to a suburban school program which allows a handful an opportunity to go to a better school and for that school to save "hey we have diversity"

Quoting from your link "In order for a student to be placed, first and foremost there must be classroom space available in the receiving suburban district. Students are selected to participate in the program following a district level review of student report cards, test scores, attendance records, teacher comments and an interview with the student, parents, and Urban-Suburban staff. " So in other words if Brighton has 10 spots then 10 students who can pass this screening will be selected, the rest are SOL till next year.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
You are really idealistic and unrealistic those with means are going the private route or vacating to the burbs that's why the city schools rate so poorly. It is rare to find someone who can afford options risk their child's education at the city schools, maybe at the ES level but not the secondary's.

Taxes at least in Rochester/city of Syracuse are definitely on par or higher then the suburban districts which are providing good services and decent schools. Here the burbs win out hands down...

I will not ever rate/rank special programs where a school can glean off x% of applicants who exceed whatever standard that is not realistic. Nor is your send a minority to a suburban school program which allows a handful an opportunity to go to a better school and for that school to save "hey we have diversity"

Quoting from your link "In order for a student to be placed, first and foremost there must be classroom space available in the receiving suburban district. Students are selected to participate in the program following a district level review of student report cards, test scores, attendance records, teacher comments and an interview with the student, parents, and Urban-Suburban staff. " So in other words if Brighton has 10 spots then 10 students who can pass this screening will be selected, the rest are SOL till next year.
My point is that a program like this will take good students away from the RCSD, but still live in Rochester. There have been more suburban and small town SD's that have been participating in the program as well and it is similar to MN's and WI's Open Enrollment System that allows students to go to any school in the state, as long as there is room and they can get a way to that school, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, you actually have people that stay. I'm not making it up or even disagreeing with you, but it isn't uncommon for top Syracuse City SD HS students to go to Ivies, high level private and public colleges/universities or service academies and graduate from them. I'm not talking about the magnet HS, but the regular HS's. So, you can have a vast range of academic experiences within those districts is all I'm saying. Here are the valedictorians and salutatorians of the Syracuse City SD HS's: Graduation 2016: Nottingham High School Valedictorian Francesca Giardine | syracuse.com

Graduation 2016: Nottingham High School Salutatorian Lucy Purnine | syracuse.com

Graduation 2016: Thomas J. Corcoran High School Valedictorian Sophia Therese Kinne | syracuse.com

Graduation 2016: Thomas J. Corcoran High School Salutatorian Lauren Burgess | syracuse.com

Graduation 2016: George W. Fowler High School Valedictorian Bonnke Rugira | syracuse.com

Graduation 2016: George W. Fowler High School Salutatorian Hoang Nguyen | syracuse.com

Graduation 2016: Henninger High School Valedictorian Angelica Revilla | syracuse.com

Graduation 2016: Henninger High School Salutatorian Adiba Alam | syracuse.com

Graduation 2016: Institute of Technology at Syracuse Central Valedictorian Kim La | syracuse.com

Graduation 2016: Institute of Technology at Syracuse Central Salutatorian Tommy Vo | syracuse.com

You also have kids like this that live in one of those cities, but goes private: http://www.syracuse.com/schools/inde...le_yerdon.html

http://www.syracuse.com/schools/inde...in_walker.html

http://www.syracuse.com/schools/inde...a_geremia.html

http://www.syracuse.com/schools/inde...an_charlo.html

http://www.syracuse.com/schools/inde...n_madison.html

I also don't know if taxes are higher in the city of Syracuse versus suburban districts. Perhaps the rates are higher, but that is likely attributed to a comparatively lower median home price. Even a decent suburban district like Solvay is likely to have higher taxes in comparison.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-23-2016 at 02:26 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
My point is that a program like this will take good students away from the RCSD, but still live in Rochester. There have been more suburban and small town SD's that have been participating in the program as well and it is similar to MN's and WI's Open Enrollment System that allows students to go to any school in the state, as long as there is room and they can get a way to that school, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, you actually have people that stay. I'm not making it up or even disagreeing with you, but it isn't uncommon for top Syracuse City SD HS students to go to Ivies, high level private and public colleges/universities or service academies and graduate from them. I'm not talking about the magnet HS, but the regular HS's. So, you can have a vast range of academic experiences within those districts is all

I also don't know if taxes are higher in the city of Syracuse versus suburban districts. Perhaps the rates are higher, but that is likely attributed to a comparatively lower median home price. Even a decent suburban district like Solvay is likely to have higher taxes in comparison.
Your taking this and twisting it with your links upon links.

1) I don't believe that the Rochester program is taking every student of ability from the district nor do I
believe that available slots are as high as you think.
2) No one said that a city kid from one of the 4 cities couldn't make it to the top pick schools but their
accomplishments are not enough as reflected by the districts placement.
3) I said it before people with financial options are not willing to jeopardize their child's education and will
move or go the private route. I have read it on the Rochester board and I see it here in Richmond it's
not unique to upstate NY.

As for taxes, per the Onondaga tax table Onondaga County Department of Real Property Taxes the city of Syracuse is $38.68 per 1k assessed versus the village of Solvay, town of Geddes $16.49 I would say the taxes are higher in Syracuse. For Rochester the rate is $32.28 City of Rochester | Tax Rates - Assessment Bureau and it appears the towns run just as high but they have viable schools and services for their money. Reading the Monroe County tax table they are charging for every light bulb in every street light...

Old 06-23-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Your taking this and twisting it with your links upon links.

1) I don't believe that the Rochester program is taking every student of ability from the district nor do I
believe that available slots are as high as you think.
2) No one said that a city kid from one of the 4 cities couldn't make it to the top pick schools but their
accomplishments are not enough as reflected by the districts placement.
3) I said it before people with financial options are not willing to jeopardize their child's education and will
move or go the private route. I have read it on the Rochester board and I see it here in Richmond it's
not unique to upstate NY.

As for taxes, per the Onondaga tax table Onondaga County Department of Real Property Taxes the city of Syracuse is $38.68 per 1k assessed versus the village of Solvay, town of Geddes $16.49 I would say the taxes are higher in Syracuse. For Rochester the rate is $32.28 City of Rochester | Tax Rates - Assessment Bureau and it appears the towns run just as high but they have viable schools and services for their money. Reading the Monroe County tax table they are charging for every light bulb in every street light...
I'm not twisting anything. I'm just giving different factors in terms of school options, the range of students and that some with means still go with the public urban schools.

I also mentioned the tax rate aspect, but that the housing prices may play a part in actual taxes paid. Solvay has low electric rates, but if you look at home listings, taxes can be quite high in the village due to the village rates as well. Onondaga County Department of Real Property Taxes

Onondaga County Department of Real Property Taxes

Anyway, those that have viewed past lists and the additional lists that come up in the Upstate NY Schools guide from Buffalo Business First realize that most of the movement will be at the top. I believe that Ithaca or Saratoga Springs are usually the highest ranked school districts that cover an urban setting/community.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-23-2016 at 08:59 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 08:53 PM

82 posts, read 90,964 times
I wonder how Pittsford would compare to some schools in Westchester County like Scarsdale, Chappaqua, Edgemont, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York