Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:29 AM

12 posts, read 16,808 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a safe, small to medium sized town in an area that has a significant winter (really tired of heat and humidity in Northern VA). The ideal would be a place that has some kind of lake or river view, and doesn't cost a fortune. There has to be a gym or fitness center in reasonable proximity, and a fair amount of other amenities. Places with most of this include Sturgeon Bay, WI; Traverse City, MI; Saranac Lake, NY; Burlington, VT. Feel free to tell me (gently) that I'm being unrealistic, but in this huge country it doesn't seem like all that impossible a list of 'druthers.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 10:12 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Hi Neighbor (Richmond here) we are planning on doing the same thing, looks at Queensbury NY right below Lake George. Small town feel with all the box stores you are familiar with, both Lowes and Home Depot are there and an enclosed mall. If you want BJ's and more significant shopping Saratoga Springs is only 15-20 minutes away. Glens Falls is also nice but taxes run high and there are a lot of small towns all around to also pick from. Recreation includes sking, lakes rivers, hiking you name it they have it. Feel free to DM me if you want.

Burlington is great but COL and taxes make it harder to live and going through a Door County winter in Sturgeon Bay, i'll pass.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:50 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Hi Neighbor (Richmond here) we are planning on doing the same thing, looks at Queensbury NY right below Lake George. Small town feel with all the box stores you are familiar with, both Lowes and Home Depot are there and an enclosed mall. If you want BJ's and more significant shopping Saratoga Springs is only 15-20 minutes away. Glens Falls is also nice but taxes run high and there are a lot of small towns all around to also pick from. Recreation includes sking, lakes rivers, hiking you name it they have it. Feel free to DM me if you want.

Burlington is great but COL and taxes make it harder to live and going through a Door County winter in Sturgeon Bay, i'll pass.
I think you're making a good decision. Its a really nice area to live in with everything at your disposal. Homes have come down in price quite a bit too. Winters are cold but I didn't find it all that different than northwest NJ. Perhaps we'll be neighbors one day soon.

Are you moving year round or only in summer?

Old 08-17-2016, 12:55 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Another good suggestion could be Plattsburgh. It is on Lake Champlain, has the Saranac River running through the city, it has its own city beach, it is about an hour south of Montreal, overall COL is a little bit under the national average and it is a ferry ride across Lake Champlain from Vermont. It also has it's own electric conpany by way of NYPA, which tends to have lower rates than private companies.

Here is a shot of the city with the Adirondacks in the background:

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-17-2016 at 01:51 PM..

Old 08-17-2016, 05:58 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I think you're making a good decision. Its a really nice area to live in with everything at your disposal. Homes have come down in price quite a bit too. Winters are cold but I didn't find it all that different than northwest NJ. Perhaps we'll be neighbors one day soon.

Are you moving year round or only in summer?
At this point we are looking to be reverse snowbirds, head north April - October (give or take a month either way) and then head back to Virginia for the winter. Depending where our kids settle we may relocate our winter base.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:13 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another good suggestion could be Plattsburgh. It is on Lake Champlain, has the Saranac River running through the city, it has its own city beach, it is about an hour south of Montreal, overall COL is a little bit under the national average and it is a ferry ride across Lake Champlain from Vermont.
How clean is lake champ given Burlington is in its banks? According to the steamboat host, lake george is one of the cleanest lakes in the world.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:53 PM

969 posts, read 2,071,951 times
I'd throw in Rochester & Syracuse, both on or near Lake Ontario & the finger lakes. And there's a few small cities on the finger lakes like Geneva, Canandaigua, Penn Yann, Ithaca. I'd also look into Jamestown & the Chautauqua Lake area. The area from Jamestown east to Olean is I think the next coldest part of NYS (after the ADKs) and gets good lake effect snow from Lake Erie.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
How clean is lake champ given Burlington is in its banks? According to the steamboat host, lake george is one of the cleanest lakes in the world.
I'm not sure, but that is a good point about Burlington and Plattsburgh being Lake Champlain.

Ticonderoga is actually on both Lake Champlain and Lake George. So, that may be another option, if the OP doesn't mind a small town.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-17-2016 at 08:20 PM..

Old 08-17-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
I'd throw in Rochester & Syracuse, both on or near Lake Ontario & the finger lakes. And there's a few small cities on the finger lakes like Geneva, Canandaigua, Penn Yann, Ithaca. I'd also look into Jamestown & the Chautauqua Lake area. The area from Jamestown east to Olean is I think the next coldest part of NYS (after the ADKs) and gets good lake effect snow from Lake Erie.
Good points and a sleeper area that may be a happy medium is the Watertown area. It can get some lake effect snow from Lake Ontario and it isn't that far from the Adirondacks. In regards to small towns in that area that may work besides the city of Watertown(about 27,000 and I'd suggest the southern half of the city), places like Sackets Harbor, Clayton, Alexandria Bay, Carthage/West Carthage, the Glen Park/Dexter/Brownville(General Brown) area and Adams/Adams Center are some that may work for the OP.

In terms of Watertown, that southern half has a zoo in the very nice Thompson Park and Dry Hill ski area is just south of the city. It is historically and currently the most affluent part of the city that is solidly middle class with a median household income above the national and state figures in many cases. There is big box shopping on the western end of the city along Arsenal Street. Fort Drum Army Base is NE of the city.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:08 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Ticonderoga is actually on both Lake Champlain and Lake George. So, that may be another option, if the OP doesn't mind a small town.
There's also a small town farther south of Ticonderoga called Bolton's Landing that is along george's banks but a closer drive to saratoga springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York