Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:29 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I agree that is nice and while there are some differences, you can also see some similarities as well.

You could even say that there are 5 metros that are only about an hour away along I-90 and have about 4 million people between them along that corridor.

I've been saying that for years. How much more clout we would have if we worked together. One thing we all have in common is the thruway. I'd love to get the tolls removed. They just make it feel like you're making a special trip when you have to get a ticket. Removing the tolls would make it feel like a local road between the cities. More exits and businesses will pop up along the way helping to generate lost toll income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 10:36 AM

969 posts, read 2,071,690 times
Now we're talkin. And on top of that, what a dream if we had fast train travel between these cities and to NYC.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:40 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I've been saying that for years. How much more clout we would have if we worked together. One thing we all have in common is the thruway. I'd love to get the tolls removed. They just make it feel like you're making a special trip when you have to get a ticket. Removing the tolls would make it feel like a local road between the cities. More exits and businesses will pop up along the way helping to generate lost toll income.
That would be great for the private sector and I agree.

However, given that the state knows that, they likely use the Thruway for revenue generation not only from NYers traveling on the road, but from people on the road from outside of the state. I-90 is also a toll road in OH, IN and IL likely for similar reasons.

If that corridor was its own state, it would be about 27-28 in state rank for population. So, that may be something that leadership within that corridor should consider in order to help increase economic development.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-01-2016 at 10:59 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 12:44 PM

I guess another difference is that Buffalo has more of a college presence within city limits(Buff State, Canisius, D'Youville, Medaille, etc) whereas almost all of Rochester's college campuses are in the suburbs except for U of R.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:24 AM

821 posts, read 759,860 times
I personally think the two cities are closer than ever. As of the latest census numbers of 2015, Rochester still has the higher education attainment, but Buffalo now has a higher median family income. They both have very nice suburbs. Rochester city seemed poorer than Buffalo, but Rochester also doesn't have the lower middle income suburbs that Buffalo has.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
I personally think the two cities are closer than ever. As of the latest census numbers of 2015, Rochester still has the higher education attainment, but Buffalo now has a higher median family income. They both have very nice suburbs. Rochester city seemed poorer than Buffalo, but Rochester also doesn't have the lower middle income suburbs that Buffalo has.
Actually, in the Rochester area, parts of Greece, parts of Gates, East Rochester, parts of Irondequoit(more so in the East Irondequoit SD) and small parts of Henrietta, among maybe a few others, are suburban areas that are more working/lower middle class.

I believe that poverty rates between the cities are pretty close as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-03-2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old 12-04-2016, 08:05 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
More growth and large highways Rochester. Parts of Rochester remind me of calif

Old 12-04-2016, 10:43 AM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
The main reason that Buffalo has pro teams and Rochester does not, is in the 60s/70s when Buffalo got the Bills and Sabres, Buffalo was much larger than Rochester.
Since 1970 the sized have converged. In Todays world however, it would be difficult for a metro of 1,000,000 to get a Pro team. Especially because the one most likely to succeed (NHL) would absolutely not be allowed to exist because the NHL realized the Sabres need Rochester to be viable.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The main reason that Buffalo has pro teams and Rochester does not, is in the 60s/70s when Buffalo got the Bills and Sabres, Buffalo was much larger than Rochester.
Since 1970 the sized have converged. In Todays world however, it would be difficult for a metro of 1,000,000 to get a Pro team. Especially because the one most likely to succeed (NHL) would absolutely not be allowed to exist because the NHL realized the Sabres need Rochester to be viable.
With the Sabres, I don't know if it is so much Rochester versus parts of Southern Ontario that are minutes from Buffalo. I remember when I was a kid watching a Sabres/Bruins game on WSBK 38(used to get Bruins games on cable TV back in the day), Bruins great Derek Sanderson(a Niagara Falls ON native, if I'm not mistaken) mentioned that there is a substantial amount of Canadians that go to Sabres games. This was in the late 80's when he mentioned this as the Sabres had guys like Phil Housley, Tom Barrasso, Mike Foligno, Ray Sheppard, etc.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:18 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
With the Sabres, I don't know if it is so much Rochester versus parts of Southern Ontario that are minutes from Buffalo. I remember when I was a kid watching a Sabres/Bruins game on WSBK 38(used to get Bruins games on cable TV back in the day), Bruins great Derek Sanderson(a Niagara Falls ON native, if I'm not mistaken) mentioned that there is a substantial amount of Canadians that go to Sabres games. This was in the late 80's when he mentioned this as the Sabres had guys like Phil Housley, Tom Barrasso, Mike Foligno, Ray Sheppard, etc.
According to the Toronto Sun, 15% of Sabres season ticket holders are Canadian.There are about 750,000 Canadians living less than an hour drive from Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York