U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2016, 11:33 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,082 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello, I was born and raised on Long Island and went to Cornell, but have been gone my entire career. Now in my early 50's, am looking to go back...but where? I am sick to my stomach of private practice, of having to fight with insurance companies, having to pay tons of money to third parties to try to get paid for the work I do...all sickening. Feels like a racket. I'm not opposed to a group practice or something slightly different, like VA work, or university-based...I'd like a small farm, but not isolated, as I am single. I've looked into WWOOFing, for those who know it, to gain the farm skills, btw...I love the winery/vineyard areas, and would rather not be where there are 10-ft snow drifts. Not afraid of the cold (again, Long Island and Ithaca-experienced). I keep thinking that the ideal would be near a large city, so I'm not isolated, but where I can have my small farm. Thinking about restoring a barn CA has just become WAY too hip and materialistic and snooty and narcissistic. Sorry if this seems scattered but I am just putting together my dream. Thank you sincerely for any help - Maria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2016, 11:59 PM
 
1,095 posts, read 788,841 times
Reputation: 1760
I was thinking a suburb in the Rochester area could be a really good fit. There are many farms all over the outer suburbs and you have quick access to the Finger Lakes. Canandaigua Lake is a 15 to 25 minute drive from the Eastern Suburbs. Some place like Perinton might be a great fit. And you'd be close to Rochester which has many universities and research hospitals, and both Rochester and Canandaigua have VA hospitals.

An example of a job opening at the UofR:
https://ps.its.rochester.edu/psp/PSA...icant&SiteId=1

This could interest you in your WWOOFing:
http://www.folkartguild.org/

Perinton is loaded with Farm Markets and also has Casa Larga one of the biggest wineries in the area.
Farm Markets | Town of Perinton

I also see horse farms all over Perinton so that gets you an idea of the culture of the town too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2016, 12:05 AM
 
1,095 posts, read 788,841 times
Reputation: 1760
Some interesting history on barns in Perinton too:
Perinton Historical Society - Barns & Carriage Houses

http://www.perintonhistoricalsociety...n-efforts.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2016, 07:59 AM
 
51,372 posts, read 73,723,225 times
Reputation: 11325
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdenmt View Post
Hello, I was born and raised on Long Island and went to Cornell, but have been gone my entire career. Now in my early 50's, am looking to go back...but where? I am sick to my stomach of private practice, of having to fight with insurance companies, having to pay tons of money to third parties to try to get paid for the work I do...all sickening. Feels like a racket. I'm not opposed to a group practice or something slightly different, like VA work, or university-based...I'd like a small farm, but not isolated, as I am single. I've looked into WWOOFing, for those who know it, to gain the farm skills, btw...I love the winery/vineyard areas, and would rather not be where there are 10-ft snow drifts. Not afraid of the cold (again, Long Island and Ithaca-experienced). I keep thinking that the ideal would be near a large city, so I'm not isolated, but where I can have my small farm. Thinking about restoring a barn CA has just become WAY too hip and materialistic and snooty and narcissistic. Sorry if this seems scattered but I am just putting together my dream. Thank you sincerely for any help - Maria
Besides the great suggestion above, I would also look into the towns south of Syracuse like Pompey, Tully, Fabius, LaFayette and parts of Onondaga or perhaps to the West like Elbridge or Marcellus. With the latter 2, it puts you close to Skaneateles and Owasco(as well as Otisco) Lakes and Syracuse is still within a reasonable drive. Syracuse has multiple VA offices and a hospital, as well as a few 4 year colleges. There are 2 community colleges near those 2 towns and Wells College is a small private 4 year college in Aurora. Towns such as Sennett and Brutus in Cayuga County just west of Elbridge(Onondaga County) may also be worth a look.

South of Syracuse, you can find Apple Orchards, Alpaca farms, Horse farms and working farms(egg, other crops, etc.). Taxes and land appear to be reasonable as well. This was told to me by a co-worker that lives in that area. There are a couple of wineries in the Skaneateles area as well.

Ithaca and Cornell University aren't too far from that area either.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-28-2016 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2016, 08:45 AM
 
51,372 posts, read 73,723,225 times
Reputation: 11325
What else are you looking for in a community/area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2016, 03:10 PM
 
51,372 posts, read 73,723,225 times
Reputation: 11325
Some properties south of Syracuse: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2016, 10:59 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,082 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you both. I have a friend here in CA who graduated from the Univ of Rochester, and I think that in March we'll do the Ithaca/Rochester circuit.

Ckhthankgod, I can't think of much else, except to reiterate a few things: the Bay Area has become rude and self-centered, and I am SO tired of that...so, I'd love to live in an area where people have animals - roosters, cows, horses. I love the suggestions about apprenticeships, because I WILL have to learn...a horse - my life dream. Again, I'm from NY, born and bred on Long Island, all weekend spent upstate (close to Hancock, as well as other areas; my parents had multiple upstate properties), and four years at Cornell....Community is SO important to me; so much is said about that here, but so much is abstract. I like people who really help each other; don't just talk about it: need help moving? need help shoveling snow? need a ride somewhere? down, and want to talk?...doing things with my hands, getting dirty, carrying animals, planting, sowing, crafts, cooking (did I mention cooking I am going on and on; sorry, it is a bit cathartic Thanks, Maria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2016, 05:36 AM
 
51,372 posts, read 73,723,225 times
Reputation: 11325
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdenmt View Post
Thank you both. I have a friend here in CA who graduated from the Univ of Rochester, and I think that in March we'll do the Ithaca/Rochester circuit.

Ckhthankgod, I can't think of much else, except to reiterate a few things: the Bay Area has become rude and self-centered, and I am SO tired of that...so, I'd love to live in an area where people have animals - roosters, cows, horses. I love the suggestions about apprenticeships, because I WILL have to learn...a horse - my life dream. Again, I'm from NY, born and bred on Long Island, all weekend spent upstate (close to Hancock, as well as other areas; my parents had multiple upstate properties), and four years at Cornell....Community is SO important to me; so much is said about that here, but so much is abstract. I like people who really help each other; don't just talk about it: need help moving? need help shoveling snow? need a ride somewhere? down, and want to talk?...doing things with my hands, getting dirty, carrying animals, planting, sowing, crafts, cooking (did I mention cooking I am going on and on; sorry, it is a bit cathartic Thanks, Maria
Well, another community that comes to mind is Homer in northern Cortland County. It would be a happy medium in between Syracuse and Ithaca. It also has a village of the same name and has a rural character outside of most of the village, except for close proximity to the city of Cortland to the south. So, you would still be within reasonable distance to Syracuse, Ithaca and could possibly look into positions in Cortland(SUNY-Cortland, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2016, 06:05 AM
 
28 posts, read 10,881 times
Reputation: 25
I agree with chthankgod that you should look in southern onondaga county plus syracuse has a great VA and is 4 hours away from ny and 1 hour away from ithaca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2017, 05:33 PM
 
15 posts, read 8,145 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbz412 View Post
I agree with chthankgod that you should look in southern onondaga county plus syracuse has a great VA and is 4 hours away from ny and 1 hour away from ithaca
Might be a little longer considering traffic but yeah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top