Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 10:01 PM

252 posts, read 347,864 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've never taken the metro north train into NYC before as I've just heard about being a relatively new resident to the Syracuse area. I'm just looking for some more information as the website is just way too much clutter and confusing to find information...

I'm driving from Syracuse, so I plan to go and park at the Metro North Pougheepsie station and then travel into NYC. Is there over night parking at the station? is it safe? How much does it cost?

Also, I saw somewhere about different types of tickets? peak vs non peak hours? I just want to clarification about that. so basically if I arrive at the station around let's say...8am and then head into NYC, would i buy a peak hour ticket? or non peak? is it contingent on what time I leave the poughkeepsie station or what time i arrive into NYC?

Does it run 24/7? Or when is the last train out from NYC back to the Poughkeepsie station?

How about duration of travel? people say it's about 2 hours? Is it a non stop ride into NYC or just a few stops? or many stops? (like amtrak?) does the train travel relatively fast? Amtrak in my experience was really slow...

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just looking for information from those who have taken it before and/or those who take it regularly.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 05:23 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Metro-North - Schedules, Tickets, rail | MTA

Old 02-15-2017, 06:58 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times
I usually hop on the MN at Beacon. It's about an hour ride to the city. The "station" is safe. It's at the bottom of a hill with the police station at the top, overlooking. You can park your car for days.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:22 PM

214 posts, read 197,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
Hello All,

I've never taken the metro north train into NYC before as I've just heard about being a relatively new resident to the Syracuse area. I'm just looking for some more information as the website is just way too much clutter and confusing to find information...

I'm driving from Syracuse, so I plan to go and park at the Metro North Pougheepsie station and then travel into NYC. Is there over night parking at the station? is it safe? How much does it cost?

Also, I saw somewhere about different types of tickets? peak vs non peak hours? I just want to clarification about that. so basically if I arrive at the station around let's say...8am and then head into NYC, would i buy a peak hour ticket? or non peak? is it contingent on what time I leave the poughkeepsie station or what time i arrive into NYC?

Does it run 24/7? Or when is the last train out from NYC back to the Poughkeepsie station?

How about duration of travel? people say it's about 2 hours? Is it a non stop ride into NYC or just a few stops? or many stops? (like amtrak?) does the train travel relatively fast? Amtrak in my experience was really slow...

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just looking for information from those who have taken it before and/or those who take it regularly.

Thanks in advance!
A poster above gave you a link to the MTA's website which will give you scheduled times and fares.

If you're heading to NYC from the PK station at anytime between 6AM-11AM Monday-Friday THAT is peak time and you would have to buy a peak fare. The reverse is true: Leaving NYC anytime between 4-8PM is peak travel time so you would have to buy a peak fare. They're gouging the commuters with the peak fares. Parking is metered and there maybe a time max. Typically parking is free on the weekends, I am not sure if you are able to park overnight, although there is parking in PK near the train station that may qualify. Metro-North is NOT 24/7 (I believe the LIRR is), and the last train leaves NYC around 2AM I think. And from PK you maybe able to catch an express train, otherwise, yes it is about a 2 hour trip.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I usually hop on the MN at Beacon. It's about an hour ride to the city. The "station" is safe. It's at the bottom of a hill with the police station at the top, overlooking. You can park your car for days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB1220 View Post
A poster above gave you a link to the MTA's website which will give you scheduled times and fares.

If you're heading to NYC from the PK station at anytime between 6AM-11AM Monday-Friday THAT is peak time and you would have to buy a peak fare. The reverse is true: Leaving NYC anytime between 4-8PM is peak travel time so you would have to buy a peak fare. They're gouging the commuters with the peak fares. Parking is metered and there maybe a time max. Typically parking is free on the weekends, I am not sure if you are able to park overnight, although there is parking in PK near the train station that may qualify. Metro-North is NOT 24/7 (I believe the LIRR is), and the last train leaves NYC around 2AM I think. And from PK you maybe able to catch an express train, otherwise, yes it is about a 2 hour trip.
Thanks for the information everyone! appreciate it.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:42 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Long term parking is available at the PK metro North station. I think it is 6 something per day.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:35 AM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
You probably already know about this, but there are also direct Syracuse to NYC trains via Amtrak.

Or ride a Megabus which isn't as comfortable but can be pretty cheap.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-16-2017 at 08:45 AM..

Old 02-16-2017, 07:54 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You probably already know about this, but there are also direct Syracuse to NYC trains via Amtrak.
What is your reasoning for driving from Syracuse to Poughkeepsie to catch a Metro North train? I'd suggest driving via I-81 to I-380 to I-80 to Jersey City or Hoboken where there is plenty of safe garage parking. The PATH train takes you into Manhattan for $2.25 and is non-stop. The MN Poughkeepsie train is a local with many stops before it becomes an express at the Croton Harmon station.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Yeah I've heard of those 2 options but amtrak takes longer then driving with all the stops...i haven't taken megabus but based on all the horror stories i've heard about greyhound...people say megabus is basically the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
What is your reasoning for driving from Syracuse to Poughkeepsie to catch a Metro North train? I'd suggest driving via I-81 to I-380 to I-80 to Jersey City or Hoboken where there is plenty of safe garage parking. The PATH train takes you into Manhattan for $2.25 and is non-stop. The MN Poughkeepsie train is a local with many stops before it becomes an express at the Croton Harmon station.
good point! i didn't think about that and didn't know if there were still plenty of stops from the PK station into nyc. I'll definitely try your suggestion since it's much cheaper and non stop. thanks!!

Old 02-17-2017, 10:17 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:

Both are at the same transportation center as well: William F. Walsh Regional Transportation Center

Good potential option for those going to school at say SUNY Oswego, Cayuga Community College in Auburn or any Syracuse colleges or vice versa. It is right by Destiny USA, the biggest shopping center in the state too. There is the Regional Market and NBT Bank Stadium(AAA Baseball) right there as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-17-2017 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York