Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 10:42 AM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Again I see your point but communities regardless of location don't initiate these type of programs unless they are not attracting residents. Love the outdoors that's great, want a neat little downtown that's great, good homeprices that's great. But if there isn't an economy with jobs none of it matters, if the location looks like it closed in 1959 none of it matters, if the pot holes exceed the amount of paved road none of it matters.
But the problem is that it isn't the case for each of these cities and you can still grow, but incentivize anything. States that are growing still give incentives to companies to relocate there, even with the fact that in many cases, they don't even create the number of jobs projected.

I already presented a bunch of information about Plattsburgh in a thread in regards to its economy growing.

Some of these other cities have companies that have grown in recent years and/or are close enough to to bigger areas/cities for more employment options. All also have at least a community college, with that population helping contribute to the community in various ways.

I think some cities will do better than others, but it will all depend on if graduates want to take advantage of the program or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 10:55 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
But the problem is that it isn't the case for each of these cities and you can still grow, but incentivize anything. States that are growing still give incentives to companies to relocate there, even with the fact that in many cases, they don't even create the number of jobs projected.

Some of these other cities have companies that have grown in recent years and/or are close enough to to bigger areas/cities for more employment options. All also have at least a community college, with that population helping contribute to the community in various ways.

I think some cities will do better than others, but it will all depend on if graduates want to take advantage of the program or not.
You are right but they succeed in creating jobs far more often then they fail and NY State does a poor job of making their communities viable contenders for these company relocations. Believe what you like about the CC's being an asset to a community, they are and they provide an education opportunity which their graduates are using to provide them an exit from the state. I read too many posts on these boards where people state there reasons for leaving and lack of jobs is always the number 1 or 2. I have no opinion on Plattsburg but I get the impression that the companies choosing to locate there on the old AF Base are like Rome, small start ups with 10 or less people and none capable of providing any type of significant employment.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
You are right but they succeed in creating jobs far more often then they fail and NY State does a poor job of making their communities viable contenders for these company relocations. Believe what you like about the CC's being an asset to a community, they are and they provide an education opportunity which their graduates are using to provide them an exit from the state. I read too many posts on these boards where people state there reasons for leaving and lack of jobs is always the number 1 or 2. I have no opinion on Plattsburg but I get the impression that the companies choosing to locate there on the old AF Base are like Rome, small start ups with 10 or less people and none capable of providing any type of significant employment.
That would be incorrect about Plattsburgh and I seriously suggest viewing the information in the thread about the city/area. It has a transportation sector and other companies bring substantial amounts of good paying jobs(Norsk Titanium, Svardovski, etc.) . Griffiss Business Park in Rome also has a range of companies in terms of employment size.

Lack of jobs could also mean that the skills/education a person has is a mismatch for the jobs available, not necessarily that there aren't any jobs or it may be a matter of the types of jobs one will do.

Some states may do a better job and some may not. Jobs aren't necessarily being created evenly throughout a state and some are industry dependent like the energy sector in the Dakotas or Wyoming, which can boom or bust. So, there are many factors to consider.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
That would be incorrect about Plattsburgh and I seriously suggest viewing the information in the thread about the city/area. It has a transportation sector and other companies bring substantial amounts of good paying jobs(Norsk Titanium, Svardovski, etc.) . Griffiss Business Park in Rome also has a range of companies in terms of employment size.

Lack of jobs could also mean that the skills/education a person has is a mismatch for the jobs available, not necessarily that there aren't any jobs or it may be a matter of the types of jobs one will do.

Some states may do a better job and some may not. Jobs aren't necessarily being created evenly throughout a state and some are industry dependent like the energy sector in the Dakotas or Wyoming, which can boom or bust. So, there are many factors to consider.
Again, think what you want.

I never read a post on the NY boards where someone is gushing over all the job options they have in fact it is often the opposite. Plattsburgh continues to lose population and a standard online search returns primarily lower paying service positions and most of them part time. If someone feels this is where they want to live let them go for it that is their choice. But back to the OP's post on the article I still think promoting home ownership is lost on recent college graduates, create a viable job market and they will come.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Again, think what you want.

I never read a post on the NY boards where someone is gushing over all the job options they have in fact it is often the opposite. Plattsburgh continues to lose population and a standard online search returns primarily lower paying service positions and most of them part time. If someone feels this is where they want to live let them go for it that is their choice. But back to the OP's post on the article I still think promoting home ownership is lost on recent college graduates, create a viable job market and they will come.
Plattsburgh hasn't "continued" to lose population though. It may have according to ESTIMATES, but it actually gained in population in the last official census. Again, there is economic information about the city/area readily available on this forum and tell the local media/economic groups that they stating incorrect/fake news.

It doesn't matter if people "gush" over jobs, as people can move to a place with "plenty" of jobs and come up empty handed. The point is that for recent graduates that get a job in these cities, this program is available to them, if they so desire to use it. That's all......

Old 05-16-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter if people "gush" over jobs, as people can move to a place with "plenty" of jobs and come up empty handed. The point is that for recent graduates that get a job in these cities, this program is available to them, if they so desire to use it. That's all......
Well the places with plenty of jobs seem to always make the preferred lists of places to start looking for a careers unlike those with a random good pick among the Dollar Store night shifts. But again on the subject of this topic I don't think recent college grads are concerned about buying a house, they want to get a job that pays first.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Well the places with plenty of jobs seem to always make the preferred lists of places to start looking for a careers unlike those with a random good pick among the Dollar Store night shifts. But again on the subject of this topic I don't think recent college grads are concerned about buying a house, they want to get a job that pays first.
Preferred lists aren't the "be all, end all" though, as it doesn't consider a lot of other cities that people may or may not know or think about.

There are actually some solid jobs in that area not only in terms of the ones I mentioned in the Plattsburgh thread that are there or on the way, but also at Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital and with the Border Patrol, which has a station in that area in Champlain. So, the statement about what the internet search brings up in terms of job openings wasn't necessarily or completely accurate.

Also, the point is that the graduates that already have a job in those cities can consider(key word) the program.

It allows for a 2 year period after a graduate obtains an associate's, bachelor's, master's or doctorate degree. So, it isn't like a graduate has to get a home right away. I could possibly see young professors, college staff and other professionals/working folks in these cities possibly being interested in the program.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-16-2017 at 07:25 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 AM

Yes with you nothing is what anyone finds because if you run a search 20 ways you will always find some shred to support your position.

The subject is about a program to promote homesteading in communities that aren't attractive to recent graduates. I say its the wrong group to be promoting home ownership.

Have a nice day....

Old 05-16-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Yes with you nothing is what anyone finds because if you run a search 20 ways you will always find some shred to support your position.

The subject is about a program to promote homesteading in communities that aren't attractive to recent graduates. I say its the wrong group to be promoting home ownership.

Have a nice day....
That is another topic and perhaps that is the case. It remains to be seen, but there are other aspects tied into the program.

As for the search, I just did a simple indeed.com search that had a range of postings. Nothing special, but I noticed some of the companies in the thread that had openings, as well as openings for the area hospital and Customs(not Border Patrol), among others. https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=&l=Plattsburgh%2C+NY

Be blessed........

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-16-2017 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 AM

384 posts, read 434,782 times
Another day, another pointless and fruitless argument.
Some people while professing to hate New York, feel insecure about their own life.
As far as the incentives why not? It could help a young graduate or a young immigrant trying to establish themselves.
If they don't like it after a while, they are free to move on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York