Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 03:59 AM

37 posts, read 26,943 times

Advertisements

Hello guys!!
Im new in this forum ,and i want to ask how is it living in castkill?

Im living in europe ,and a day i woud like to live in USA ,i have been loking up states and i liked the NY states
I have been loking up places in catskill ,jobs ,and rentals.... and i have found interesting things

I would like to start a new life and i think that i have found a good place (near of Albany ,no so expensive ....)

i want to tell me your experiences and a little information of the life there.... if it is a good place for begining a new life.... if there is opportunities ...ect

I am learning english so forgive me if i write bad english

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 05:05 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
What made you randomly pick Catskill?

Old 06-06-2017, 06:49 AM

I will not move soon....
I am loking up information for trying it in 2 years
Why did i pick catskill? ,i am not an expert about NY states and the town ,but , i like catskill s nature ,lakes ,parks ,weather....
I do not know much about castkill ,but ,i am liking it

i think that the rentals are not so expensive compared with Albany ,NYC ..ect
I have found a rent for 700$ in catskill near from the center of the town ,an a job with a salary between 12-16k ....nothing bad( i think)....

Also ,i want to train boxing in cus d'amato boxing club (i like boxing)

I do nor if i could life wiht a salary os 12-16k year... ,and i do not how much it costs to live in castkill day to day...

i do not if i am being as specific as posible

thaks all ,and sorry if i write bad english ,i am better it

Last edited by AlexWLLN; 06-06-2017 at 06:58 AM..

Old 06-06-2017, 09:28 AM

12 posts, read 11,893 times
Your english it's good , I wish you the best
peace

Old 06-06-2017, 11:05 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
With a $700/month rent, I would aim a little higher than $12-16k/year. Realize you will also have to factor in the cost of a car since the area you are interested in has little to no pubic transportation.

You might also consider moving to a city, such as Albany, first so you can get employment, a car, a living situation with roommates to save money, and time to get a better sense of where you eventually want to live before you stick yourself out in the countryside somewhere. It is good idea to visit some of the villages in the Catskill region before signing a lease.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:49 AM

.... i have not found rents around catskill for lees than 1.000$.....
Albany is really expensive ... i can not afford it ... and the jobs are very specialized...

i have been waching that in Albany and NYC you need to have a salary no less that 55.000$ year ...(only for living moderately ,without luxuries)

that is imposible for me... i think that i could try it in towns because it is more cheap

How many roommates would i live in Albany? between 3-5 in a neighborhood on the outskirts?

i do not know boys that i should do....

thanks all

Old 06-07-2017, 05:00 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexWLLN View Post
Albany is really expensive ... i can not afford it ... and the jobs are very specialized...

i have been waching that in Albany and NYC you need to have a salary no less that 55.000$ year ...(only for living moderately ,without luxuries)

that is imposible for me... i think that i could try it in towns because it is more cheap

How many roommates would i live in Albany? between 3-5 in a neighborhood on the outskirts?

thanks all
Albany and NYC do not have the same cost of living. Albany's cost of living is around or a little above the national average.

Also, if you look further inland or even north, you could find solid/good rentals for under $1000.

What kind of jobs are you looking for? Where would you be coming from?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:13 AM

i have to think to apply little jobs for begining (fast food jobs....ect)
In 2 years i will take hight school and try luck

i am from south europe (spain) ,but i have never liked my country since i was a child...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, if you look further inland or even north, you could find solid/good rentals for under $1000.
in What areas?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:42 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexWLLN View Post

thanks all
I live in Watervliet, which is the next city just north of Albany, on $25,000/year. $685/month for a 1 br apartment.

Albany and NYC have nowhere NEAR having the same cost of living. Not even close. My apartment would cost several thousand in NYC because it is the entire 2nd floor of a house. Huge kitchen, bath and cathedral ceiling in the living room.

I am quite familiar with the region you are considering, because my father grew up in Round Top. It's nice, but very rural. You will need to drive a ways if you want to experience things like concerts and fancy restaurants and cultural events.

You WILL need a car. And you need to know how to drive in snow. On country roads. We had a major snowstorm back in March that dumped well over 2 feet of snow in spots. I've seen 3-foot snow accumulation in that region.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:09 AM

thanks all ,i am leaning a lot with your comments

i am considering your comments and i have been loking up rents in Albany ,and i have watched something... (rents around 800$ near of the center...) i have found something rents for 750$ near of the center (central avenure) with 2 BD and 1 bathroom....but i watch that there is a place with a lot of crimes.....(that scares me...)
And other for 795$ in Madison ave with 1BD and 1 bathroom
But i do not know if south park is safe...

I have been watching that the center of Albany looks a bit dangerous....https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/42.6..._zm/#map-crime

i am not going to have car until i get the nacionality (but i would prefer to have a motorcycle rather than have a car ,for avoid traffict)

the last that i want to know , it is How much money does it cost to buy food all the months for full the fridge?

How is the public transport to get around for la city? (How it is the cost approximately)

Which are the bets places for loking up rents?

Are there many taxes in Albany?

and if you want to tell me your experiences ,i will read them with pleasure

Thaks for helping me ,I am learning a lot

Last edited by AlexWLLN; 06-08-2017 at 04:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York