U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:50 PM

56,589 posts, read 80,870,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I actually do have a job with the state but the start date keeps moving so I'm going to see the other locations with openings and if there's any in the area, I'm going to jump on it, lol. I've already been through the vetting process. Luckily, I still have a job until I start the new one. Seems like the area is more rural than I'd like but the price/crime rate may make up for it. I'll let you know that story after I visit.
Yes, keep us posted and perhaps a look into Oneonta may not hurt as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 05:07 AM

6,993 posts, read 9,537,119 times
I think the areas where there has been great interest are those that are easily accessible from NYC, from where it is an easy drive via RTs 17, 28, and 23 which branch out from the I87. Roscoe, lew beach, andes, delhi, Margaretville, bovina, bethel, stanford would fall into this group.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I think the areas where there has been great interest are those that are easily accessible from NYC, from where it is an easy drive via RTs 17, 28, and 23 which branch out from the I87. Roscoe, lew beach, andes, delhi, Margaretville, bovina, bethel, stanford would fall into this group.
Livingston Manor and Hancock also along Route 17 may be good options as well.

What may put Sidney or Walton into play, even though they a little bit further west of those towns is that they have access to Route 17 via Routes 8 and 206. Perhaps you may throw in Deposit, which is on the Broome/Delaware county line due to being off of 17, but you are essentially in the Binghamton metro by then. With that said, I believe a poster(I believe it was Tioga) mentioned that after 9/11, some Downstate and northern NJ folks were even moving to Owego and other communities in that county. So, some may even go further within Upstate.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:45 AM

3,531 posts, read 1,773,866 times
I was checking out the police fb pages in the areas. Seems like heroin is a problem up there. It's not Port Jervis bad but it is troubling.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I was checking out the police fb pages in the areas. Seems like heroin is a problem up there. It's not Port Jervis bad but it is troubling.
Unfortunately, heroin is an issue and if we are to be honest, where is there NOT an issue to some degree with opioids right now? Fentanyl is the new one right now.

Also, nearby Greene in Chenango County also has the Raymond Corporation, which is another nearby employer.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:02 PM

3,531 posts, read 1,773,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Unfortunately, heroin is an issue and if we are to be honest, where is there NOT an issue to some degree with opioids right now? Fentanyl is the new one right now.

Also, nearby Greene in Chenango County also has the Raymond Corporation, which is another nearby employer.
True, but places like Port Jervis seem to be taken over. You read crime blotters and the number of assaults and thefts are in the hundreds weekly. Scary. I saw someone post yesterday that PJ is going through a rebirth. I'm not sure if that's true but it'd be nice if it was bc you can get some good deals on homes there. However, I don't think it's going to happen until the owner occupied rate rises.
I know there's users in Warwick, Monroe, etc but it feels less scary bc most of them seem to steal from their families. I don't read about much theft/assault there.
I really hope that this problem gets better.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:22 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,102,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
True - was in Roscoe this week for the first time in about 6-7 years, and was blown away by the number of new shops and people milling around. Andes has been trendy for a good 10 years now too.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:58 PM

520 posts, read 1,912,744 times
...Drug abuse is an issue..everywhere....I'm in a career that bears witness to this huge problem on a daily basis.
Even friends/relatives in the same type of work as I...out in the middle of nowhere: N Dakota, Montana, Maine...run into this same scourge.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:02 PM

520 posts, read 1,912,744 times
... And I was the poster who mentioned an increase in purchases of 2nd homes/property by L.I, NYC, NJ folks
in our area, after 9/11..the reasons were obvious......

Old 07-11-2017, 06:43 PM

362 posts, read 296,779 times
Having spent the last few weeks in the Finger Lakes Region real estate sales were up. The region falls between Rochester, Syracuse and Ithaca for the most part. Property was especially hot on Keuka Lake, many being bought for second homes.Wineries, breweries seemed to be everywhere, I guess the boomers are part of the surge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York