U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 03:08 PM

6,993 posts, read 9,793,055 times

Advertisements

Looks like people are looking upstate as an alternative to the Hamptons. How about sipping Cava Rose while basking along the beach at Lake Taghkanic?

New Hudson Valley Homes for a New Kind of Buyer
(website) https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/r...-new-york.html

More Space, and More Projects, in a Place Upstate
(website) https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/15/r...-new-york.html

Living the Urban Life Upstate
(website) https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/r...pgtype=article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 09:18 PM

23,727 posts, read 24,818,738 times
Sort of another crinkle of a centuries old process where people come to NYC and fan out to the rest of the state though this time with hella money? Can they bring some more jobs and industries with them? What's the last major hit upstate's had since Chobani (which is admittedly pretty massive at this point)?

Old 06-18-2017, 07:15 AM

/\/\

They can bring better higher end amenities to stagnated areas, and maybe offer some of the locals an opportunity to sell their real estate at a good price so they can leave in better terms. Bartlett House is a Brooklyn-French bistro and bakery that located in a crumbling carriage house in Ghent. Olde Hudson is a gourmet grocery that opened in the last 24 months in Hudson (in addition to the Hawthorne Valley store). Some watering holes like Wayside are propagating in the Catskills. I'm sure once Silo Ridge and Chapin Estate are fully developed, it would prompt the establishment of more upscale amenities in the area.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:59 AM

59,336 posts, read 84,129,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sort of another crinkle of a centuries old process where people come to NYC and fan out to the rest of the state though this time with hella money? Can they bring some more jobs and industries with them? What's the last major hit upstate's had since Chobani (which is admittedly pretty massive at this point)?
Probably what is going on in Plattsburgh, which while further away, has direct train access to NYC and is literally an hour from Montreal.

You get "bursts" of job gains here and there, but not a bunch of jobs at once. There was one for jobs in the Buffalo area: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buf...n-amherst/amp/

I'm not sure how well they will pay though.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Probably what is going on in Plattsburgh, which while further away, has direct train access to NYC and is literally an hour from Montreal.
I would think a kind of "comet" service like what LIRR does for Montauk might get the wheels moving.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:11 AM

23,727 posts, read 24,818,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

They can bring better higher end amenities to stagnated areas, and maybe offer some of the locals an opportunity to sell their real estate at a good price so they can leave in better terms. Bartlett House is a Brooklyn-French bistro and bakery that located in a crumbling carriage house in Ghent. Olde Hudson is a gourmet grocery that opened in the last 24 months in Hudson (in addition to the Hawthorne Valley store). Some watering holes like Wayside are propagating in the Catskills. I'm sure once Silo Ridge and Chapin Estate are fully developed, it would prompt the establishment of more upscale amenities in the area.
I think those are all great and it's nice to have those amenities there to help drive the tourism industry and to rehabilitate some downtrodden main streets with great architectural bones. I think it's even nicer though if it also resulted in more job aside from tourism related. It might be that if the places were spruced up due to tourism, then other people might follow and set up other industries, but it's probably too early to tell.

Quote:

You get "bursts" of job gains here and there, but not a bunch of jobs at once. There was one for jobs in the Buffalo area: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buf...n-amherst/amp/

I'm not sure how well they will pay though.
Plattsburgh might be a lot more popular if the Adirondack train service were improved.

I think those bursts are great and having NYC firms expand back office operations throughout the state is great. I think what makes Chobani more interesting is that it's a company valued at over a billion and started upstate rather than a company started elsewhere and expanding operations there. The man who started it came to the US via downstate (Long Island), then went upstate and then took a massive gamble. It's interesting he saw such an opportunity in a defunct factory and was able to raise such a massive industry in what so many people decry as a business unfriendly state in pretty adverse conditions launching right before the recession. It's also a resource intense industry that needs a massive supply chain (including lots and lots of cows) so it's something that's probably brought much more business to upstate than just the jobs within the company itself. The question is, is there anything else looking even remotely this successful upstate in recent years?

Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I think those are all great and it's nice to have those amenities there to help drive the tourism industry and to rehabilitate some downtrodden main streets with great architectural bones. I think it's even nicer though if it also resulted in more job aside from tourism related. It might be that if the places were spruced up due to tourism, then other people might follow and set up other industries, but it's probably too early to tell.

Plattsburgh might be a lot more popular if the Adirondack train service were improved.

I think those bursts are great and having NYC firms expand back office operations throughout the state is great. I think what makes Chobani more interesting is that it's a company valued at over a billion and started upstate rather than a company started elsewhere and expanding operations there. The man who started it came to the US via downstate (Long Island), then went upstate and then took a massive gamble. It's interesting he saw such an opportunity in a defunct factory and was able to raise such a massive industry in what so many people decry as a business unfriendly state in pretty adverse conditions launching right before the recession. It's also a resource intense industry that needs a massive supply chain (including lots and lots of cows) so it's something that's probably brought much more business to upstate than just the jobs within the company itself. The question is, is there anything else looking even remotely this successful upstate in recent years?
Good question.....Fage is another yogurt company that has a presence in Upstate(a plant in Johnstown), but I don't think the presence is to the same degree as Chobani. It is interesting that Norwich(Chobani is actually more present in New Berlin)and Johnstown are similar in size as Hudson. Both could be similar, but Hudson's location and rail access sets it apart.

Hill-Rom with its 100 additional jobs in Skaneateles is an example of a little burst of jobs in a desirable smaller community.

Some smaller places might have a company doing decent under the radar like say Marquardt Switches in Cazenovia(another desirable lakefront community that has a small private college) or say Corning Incorporated(a Fortune 500 company) in Corning. Perhaps a company like the Raymond Corporation based in Greene(in between Binghamton and Norwich) is another one. Perhaps even Aurora(another small lakefront community that is in between Auburn and Ithaca) which home to not only Wells College, but Mackenzie-Childs, a furniture manufacturer is there as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-19-2017 at 09:49 AM..

Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Most likely, the better quality jobs will not materialize due to either new jobs created by weekenders are low paying (eg, retail, hospitality) and/or local population does not have the skills to seize emerging opportunities (eg, creatives, freelancing). Worse, young people entering the workforce will never afford to buy the now higher priced real estate in their hometowns, or pay for the expensive amenities. The Berkshires followed this development trajectory long ago and this is what happened. A few legacy homeowners might be able to hold on for a bit longer by becoming AirBnB hosts. The more realistic outcome is families selling their homes for an increased markup and leaving to start new lives elsewhere.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Good question.....Fage is another yogurt company that has a presence in Upstate(a plant in Johnstown), but I don't think the presence is to the same degree as Chobani. It is interesting that Norwich(Chobani is actually more present in New Berlin)and Johnstown are similar in size as Hudson. Both could be similar, but Hudson's location and rail access sets it apart.

Hill-Rom with its 100 additional jobs in Skaneateles is an example of a little burst of jobs in a desirable smaller community.

Some smaller places might have a company doing decent under the radar like say Marquardt Switches in Cazenovia(another desirable lakefront community that has a small private college) or say Corning Incorporated(a Fortune 500 company) in Corning. Perhaps a company like the Raymond Corporation based in Greene(in between Binghamton and Norwich) is another one. Perhaps even Aurora(another small lakefront community that is in between Auburn and Ithaca) which home to not only Wells College, but Mackenzie-Childs, a furniture manufacturer is there as well.
I guess Owego could also fit, as Lockheed Martin has a MS2 Division plant in the area. Kraft Foods also has facilities in Lowville and Walton. H.P. Hood is in Oneida. There are some others, but it may be a matter of degree.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:45 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,194,289 times
I am seeing my peers being priced out of Dutchess in favor of Ulster, Columbia, and Greene counties right now (note that there isn't anything really great going on in Dutchess right now, but the tax burden has become prohibitive).

I especially worry about the locals in historically depressed but suddenly trendy areas like Delaware county - the likelihood of them benefiting from the cottage industries is low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York