Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:33 PM

7 posts, read 34,006 times

Advertisements

Hey every one

Just wondering if you guys can help me out with some info. I recently relocated to Rochester area from some southern town whose name I do not want to remember. Eventhough, I live in the south for many years, at heart I am more of a northener and do not mind the winter at all. I Live in NYC before and totally love it. If was my goal to move to the Big Apple but unfortunatelly, income does not allow me to do so.
I would like to purchase a house in NY state but not inmediatelly, I rather educate myself before making a decision of that magnitude.
I have a variety of interests, I love art and cratfs, music, science, theatre among others. Would like to find a city that fits my needs. I am looking for good paying jobs, nature, affordable decent housing, good school district and fun things to do. Oh, almost forget, the city must have nice Salsa club ot clubs too.
You guys, which cities other that the city of Rochester anyone can recomend? Does anyone have some comments on Ithaca, never been there though. What are the best neighourhoods to live in that city?. Is there affordable housing? In adition, are there plenty of jobs available down there?
I appreciate all of your insights. I am currently in Webster (nice area, nice schools, and pretty safe not too far from the city)
I am renting now and would probably do so till I find my final destination.
Thank for all your sugestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 06:43 AM

25 posts, read 105,356 times
Park Avenue, East End, Monroe Avenue, Southwedge, Neighborhood of the Arts: All Rochester, NY neighborhoods that are safe, young, close to everything, and fit what you want.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 11,799 times
Hi there,
Welcome to Rochester! I recently moved back to Rochester after living in the south. I miss the weather, but the slower paced city has been good to me. It's funny, I wanted to find a salsa club, too. I used to go to Loca Luna in Atlanta...great times.
Have you thought about moving to Long Island? I hear the rent is better and you still have good entertainment. I'm not sure about the schools, but there are sites you can go to. Check out RealEstateJournal | Real Estate - Homes for Sale - Real Estate News - Home Buying Help You can take a quiz on what matters most to you, and then it spits out a list of your top places you might be interested. (it covers everything from schools, weather, employment, and crime)

Hope this helps a little.

P.S. Sometimes we just have to get out and do things to discover where we want to go next.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 34,006 times
Smile Long Island

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your help

To OceanaL
I am cut between two worlds. I love big city life but enjoy nature as well.
Two places that perfectly describe me would be NYC and Alaska. The two extremes, I can help it. To answer your question, I have never thought of Long Island as a possible place to relocate, but I keep it open and will review the links you suggested. When I moved here I though that I was going to find plenty of Salsa clubs in the area and was dissapointed when learned that therere aren't any. Rochester needs a nice classy salsa club with plenty of space to dance. Maybe some day, I hope soon.
I think I would have to stay here for a while till I decide where to go next.
When relocating to a new area there are so many things to consider especially when you have children. So, if you do not mind me asking, how you come to love Salsa? As a child I grewup listening to it on the daily basis.
The rythm, the lirics, the intensity, the sensual is there all in one.
I am completelly captivated by it, not to say that I do not love other music styles as well. (extreme applies here as well)
Question?
What do you think is best, renting or buying?
Thanks
EliseBlue

Old 06-17-2008, 11:44 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanluvva View Post
Hi there,
Welcome to Rochester! I recently moved back to Rochester after living in the south. I miss the weather, but the slower paced city has been good to me. It's funny, I wanted to find a salsa club, too. I used to go to Loca Luna in Atlanta...great times.
Have you thought about moving to Long Island? I hear the rent is better and you still have good entertainment. I'm not sure about the schools, but there are sites you can go to. Check out RealEstateJournal | Real Estate - Homes for Sale - Real Estate News - Home Buying Help You can take a quiz on what matters most to you, and then it spits out a list of your top places you might be interested. (it covers everything from schools, weather, employment, and crime)

Hope this helps a little.

P.S. Sometimes we just have to get out and do things to discover where we want to go next.

I'm currently living in Long Island with my wife and kids and a large chunk of the people here are trying to leave. Entertainment here is good and food too but home prices are bottoming out but still twie what you would pay in Rochester area including about triple for homeowners ins,and car ins,property taxes only slightly higher. Long island was great in 80's all the way till George W took office. Long Island (Suffolk and Nassau counties) has been hit harder then most places in the U.S. with foreclosures and the schools are mostly decent but great schools are hard to come by. My suggestion is look upstate before the Island for your own good and good luck to you.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 AM

473 posts, read 2,755,136 times
i've typed up a lot already on the Ithaca area, and forgive me, I'm too lazy to do it again LOL. Just come to the general New York boards,a nd theres a wealth of info about Ithaca, and surrounding areas.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:11 AM

110 posts, read 496,571 times
EliseBlue
From what you wrote and like NYC etc have you every thought of Nyack in Rockland County? It is right on the water close to the city and has so much to offer in arts/music
nature shops food etc It always reminds me of the village in the city

Old 06-21-2008, 09:19 AM

365 posts, read 1,253,221 times
There are many threads here on Ithaca. Just do a search, and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:37 PM

253 posts, read 808,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I'm currently living in Long Island with my wife and kids and a large chunk of the people here are trying to leave. Entertainment here is good and food too but home prices are bottoming out but still twie what you would pay in Rochester area including about triple for homeowners ins,and car ins,property taxes only slightly higher. Long island was great in 80's all the way till George W took office. Long Island (Suffolk and Nassau counties) has been hit harder then most places in the U.S. with foreclosures and the schools are mostly decent but great schools are hard to come by. My suggestion is look upstate before the Island for your own good and good luck to you.
Wow! Is the Island that bad? I always knew to stay away from Hempstead, Valley Stream, Uniondale, etc........but there's gotta good places for a starter home under 300K? I'm currently looking for my first home but can't decide where to move from NYC. I work in Manhattan (near Broad Street) and want something closeby. I can't decide between the Island, Westchester, Rockland or Orange County.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:07 PM

46 posts, read 163,406 times
saratoga
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York