Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 12:01 AM

937 posts, read 699,747 times

Advertisements

And all of you that left for Arizona; when the water runs out, and it will, then what? Enjoy your 120 degree days, I'll take the snow any day.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:34 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
And that is precisely my point. To make a generalized statement about Rochester being so "depressed", "dreary", "nobody would want to live here or vacation here" is just simply ignorant. Whatever your opinion of Rochester (which I don't really believe you know very much about contrary to your statement of travelling all over NY), or your opinion of NY state as a whole, to generalize an opinion is ignorant. You seem to get annoyed when it's pointed out how hot and brown Phoenix is, yet you apply these same generalizations across cities in NY.

Rochester is not "depressed, dismal, dark and dreary". People do visit Rochester on vacations, the Rochester Jazz Festival draws 200,000, the Lilac Festival draws 600,000, the Strong Museum of Play draws 500,000 and is planning a massive expansion building a Hotel, a new street for retail and a new expansion for the Video Game Hall of Fame to complement their Toy Hall of Fame. The Finger Lakes are a vacation spot for wine tours and vacations. And many of those do travel from out of the state for them.

Oh and people do even move here from Arizona. I mentioned my co-worker. But I haven't also mentioned my new neighbor who just bought a house next to me and is moving here from Arizona after having moved from Buffalo to Arizona, and is now on their way to moving back to NY and Rochester.
Quote:
That's what's great about this great big wonderful country there's a place for just about everyone. Your co-worker found their paradise and we have found ours.
Everyone makes generalized statements about places where they have lived and have been to. Sorry, but those are the impressions that I have of those upstate cities. Contrary to what you may believe I have been to those places many times and at different times of the year. I had classmates that went to school there and visited them on a regular basis. What makes you right and me wrong or vise versa? It's all in the eye of the beholder. Calling me ignorant doesn't doesn't add to the discussion. It only proves your own ignorance and intolerance of the opinions of others.

It doesn't matter to me what you or anybody else thinks of Arizona. Just as it shouldn't matter to you what I think of Rochester or New York State in general. Especially if you love it there. I'm the one who chose to live in Arizona under my own free will and love it. Arizona best suits my my needs, lifestyle and political beliefs not yours. I could have moved to anywhere in the country, I'm fortunate in having that choice.

If I loved New York State as much as you I wouldn't have left all my friends, family and every place I was familiar with. I left there for all of the reasons that I have posted. I'd be a fool to stay in a place that I didn't like especially when given the opportunity to get out of there.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 07-30-2017 at 09:09 AM..

Old 07-30-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
And all of you that left for Arizona; when the water runs out, and it will, then what? Enjoy your 120 degree days, I'll take the snow any day.
Obviously you know very little about Arizona. Have fun in the snow!

Old 07-30-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
- New York State and the Northeast region led the nation in domestic net “outmigration” in the period from July 1, 2013 to July 1, 2014, according to newly released data from the Census Bureau. During the same period, Texas and the South led the nation in domestic net “inmigration.”---
New York is now in 2nd place. Illinois now leads in outmigration.
Quote:
Nearly 40,000 more people left Illinois than moved in between the middle of 2012 and last July, according to new government figures.

The exodus was higher than in any other state.

The numbers get worse when just movement between the states is considered.

Illinois has experienced what is called out-migration for years, but Thursday's data, released by the U.S. Census Bureau, appears to portray a state that is picking up where it left off before the economic downturn, according to a person who has studied Midwest population trends.

Illinois' net loss of 39,562 people between July 1, 2012, and July 1, 2013, far exceeded the next nearest state, Michigan. It saw a net loss of just more than 11,000 people during the same period.

When only movement between the states is considered, Illinois had a net loss of 67,000 people, second worst in the country to New York.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:37 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Everyone makes generalized statements about places where they have lived and have been to. Sorry, but those are the impressions that I have of those upstate cities. Contrary to what you may believe I have been to those places many times and at different times of the year. I had classmates that went to school there and visited them on a regular basis. What makes you right and me wrong or vise versa? It's all in the eye of the beholder. Calling me ignorant doesn't doesn't add to the discussion. It only proves your own ignorance and intolerance of the opinions of others.
Great, then you should be ok with me pointing out that AZ is a dirt filled hot hell-hole and a horrible place to raise a family due to some of the worst schools in the country. And if you want a job, you're going to have to live in the worst parts of the state. And this is based on info from somebody that was born and raised there.

Oh, and apparently contrary to your ignorance about stereotyping Rochester while explaining away with every excuse possible why somebody wouldn't want to live in AZ, there are many that have those same negative opinions of AZ.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/7-r...-arizona-sucks

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Scottsdale | Scottsdale Sucks: Top 10 Reasons to NOT move to Arizona

Last edited by Yac; 08-23-2017 at 06:19 AM..

Old 07-30-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Great, then you should be ok with me pointing out that AZ is a dirt filled hot hell-hole and a horrible place to raise a family due to some of the worst schools in the country. And if you want a job, you're going to have to live in the worst parts of the state. And this is based on info from somebody that was born and raised there.

Oh, and apparently contrary to your ignorance about stereotyping Rochester while explaining away with every excuse possible why somebody wouldn't want to live in AZ, there are many that have those same negative opinions of AZ.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/7-r...-arizona-sucks

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Scottsdale | Scottsdale Sucks: Top 10 Reasons to NOT move to Arizona
Yeah, I'm okay with it considering it's coming from somebody like you. I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

As a matter of fact It doesn't matter to me what anybody else thinks of Arizona. I'm perfectly happy out here and that's all that counts.

We can both pull out articles supporting our positions till we're blue in the face. What will that prove? No matter where you go there's good and bad.

Quote:
10 Reasons NYC Isn't as Great as You Think It Is | HuffPost
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-b...erg/10-reasons...

I spent most of my twenties being brainwashed and lied to. Everybody told me that living in New York was the best–nothing could touch its food, its culture, its ...
21 things that suck about living in New York (and 5 that make ...
matadornetwork.com/life/21-things-that-suck...

NEW YORK—At 4:32 p.m. Tuesday, ... trash-ridden hellhole that slowly sucks the life out of every one of its inhabitants. ...
10 Reasons Why Living in New York City Sucks - Politically
http://www.stupidityiscontagious.com...10-reasons-why...

Top 10 Reasons not to Live in New York - Toptenz.net
http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-reason...n-new-york.php
After an interesting response from my, “Top 10 Reasons not to live in California” list, we now turn our attention to other spots around the nation that one
Quote:
After analyzing 334 of the state’s most populous cities (over 5,000 people), we came up with this list as the 10 worst places to live in the state of New York:

Gloversville (Photos)
Monticello (Photos)
Rochester (Photos)
Mechanicstown
Newburgh (Photos)
Buffalo (Photos)
Niagara Falls (Photos)
Salamanca (Photos)
Albion (Photos)
Lackawanna (Photos)

https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-pla...ew-york-state/
As for your beloved Rochester from the above list:

Quote:
Population: 210,745
Home Values: $76,200(13th worst)
Unemployment Rate: 13.8% (6th worst)
If you live in Rochester, you’re either going to fiercely protect your town, or you agree that it should be on this list. Either way, it doesn’t matter, because science says it’s the 3rd worst place to live in the state.

You’ve got the 31st highest crime rate in New York, which saw 1,839 violent crimes last year. You have a 1 in 25.5 chance of being robbed and a 1 in 114 chance of being attacked, raped or killed here for every year you spend in the city limits of Rochester.

Plus, folks are simply out of work. Rochester sports the state’s 6th highest unemployment rate (13.8%), and families bring in a combined $30,960 a year, which is far below the state average.

No wonder homes are cheap; you can get one yourself for only $76,200.---https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-places-to-live-in-new-york-state/
Oh yeah and one other thing: I don't live in Phoenix or in any of Arizona's major cities. Please try and get that outta' your head.

Last edited by Yac; 08-23-2017 at 06:19 AM..

Old 07-30-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Obviously you know very little about Arizona. Have fun in the snow!
Wrong, my brother & sister in law live there. You have fun in the 120 degree desert especially when the Rio Grande runs dry.

What snow? Obviously you showed your ignorance of NYS in spite of your handle. I don't live in Watertown.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:28 AM

It seems everyone else but you is "ignorant". How about exiting from this forum? Proof is provided that your state is not what's it cracked up to be and you ignore it.
Go build your wall, but wait until it's 3 in the afternoon to do so.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:47 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm okay with it considering it's coming from somebody like you. I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

As a matter of fact It doesn't matter to me what anybody else thinks of Arizona. I'm perfectly happy out here and that's all that counts.

We can both pull out articles supporting our positions till we're blue in the face. What will that prove? No matter where you go there's good and bad.
Not going to lose sleep over it? Are you sure about that? You seem intent on countering every one of my posts. We get it. You have about a thousand posts on the NY boards about what you think of us that enjoy and prefer NY. Is this therapy or something for you? I would think you'd be enjoying your retirement more living in your paradise, instead of stressing over constantly posting your opinions on some place you haven't lived in for years.

More articles to enjoy:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3...rst-place-ever

https://noarizona.wordpress.com/2016...ood/#more-1570

The Worst 50 States in America: The Final Five
guess which state is #1?

Old 07-30-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Not going to lose sleep over it? Are you sure about that? You seem intent on countering every one of my posts. We get it. You have about a thousand posts on the NY boards about what you think of us that enjoy and prefer NY. Is this therapy or something for you? I would think you'd be enjoying your retirement more living in your paradise, instead of stressing over constantly posting your opinions on some place you haven't lived in for years.

More articles to enjoy:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3...rst-place-ever

https://noarizona.wordpress.com/2016...ood/#more-1570

The Worst 50 States in America: The Final Five
guess which state is #1?
Well aren't you doing the very same thing? Please take a look in the mirror my friend. I have every right to post on these forums as you do and as many times as I want to. Too bad if you do not like it. I'm only responding to the subject at hand: " Trump: Upstate New Yorkers Should Move Away & Leave Homes Behind." It's not a matter of stressing over something I left behind. It's more of a matter of responding to something that I can relate to. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

Anyway I'm done as this is getting to be too repetitious. Besides you're not worth another minute of my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York