Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 08:56 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Holy cow. That's a lot higher than I expected. Doesn't the US census also have a separate category (distinct from "French") for French Canadian ancestry? If so, then some of those counties would be even more predominantly of French/French Canadian origin.
Yes, people underestimate the percentage of people of French(Canadian) descent in parts of Northern NY/the North Country. Even in some of the former mill towns in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area like Cohoes and Waterford, as well as some places just north of Syracuse also have high percentages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 09:39 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
I wonder why the Mohawk Valley and west did not seem to receive the same French-Canadian immigrant contributions during the Gilded Age as New England. New England took Poles and Slovaks at the same time as French-Canadians, it seems. Central and western NY seemed to favor Sicilian and other far southern Italians along with the Poles and Slovaks.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:44 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
The Syracuse-Utica region seems pretty heavily Italian, and you see this influence all the way up to Watertown even.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Syracuse-Utica region seems pretty heavily Italian, and you see this influence all the way up to Watertown even.
Irish as well, especially in the Syracuse area.

In terms of an unassuming ethnicity in NY, Chautauqua County has a relatively high Swedish ancestry percentage. That isn't a group you affiliate with NY State.

To bring it back, Cape Vincent, NW of Watertown has a French Festival: French Festival and nearby is the village of Chaumont(pronounced sha-mo) in the town of Lyme: VILLAGE OF CHAUMONT, NY - Home

You also have Chateaugay(pronounced shat-a-gay) in Franklin County: town-of-chateaugay

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-04-2017 at 11:32 AM..

Old 10-04-2017, 11:23 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Irish as well, especially in the Syracuse area.

In terms of an unassuming ethnicity in NY, Chautauqua County has a relatively high Swedish ancestry percentage. That isn't a group you affiliate with NY State.
Maybe getting off topic but there are Finns around Spencer (Tioga County)/Van Etten (Chemung County) area, south of Ithaca.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:24 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I always thought of Malone as a "French" town, but that may be because the one girl I met from there was French (Canadian/American) and it is, of course, close to Quebec.

But then, if you look at a list of "notable people" on the wikipedia entry, there are few French names, so I may be mistaken about the French influence in the area.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I always thought of Malone as a "French" town, but that may be because the one girl I met from there was French (Canadian/American) and it is, of course, close to Quebec.

But then, if you look at a list of "notable people" on the wikipedia entry, there are few French names, so I may be mistaken about the French influence in the area.
According to this, French does have the highest percentage: Malone, NY Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

So, it does have a substantial population of those with French ancestry.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:49 PM

Here is an interesting club in Cohoes just north of Albany: Club History
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York