Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2017, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 11,650 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My partner and I recently purchased a home in Washingtonville NY. We are going over different commuting options to get us to the city, where we both work. One of us will be going to midtownish (8th/48th), and the other will be going to lower Manhattan 2x a week, working from home the other days.

We've done our own research and it seems the two most popular options are to take the Port Jervis line train from the Salisbury Mills stop to the Seacucus Junction, and transfer to the train to Penn Station, or drive from Washingtonville to the Beacon train station on the east side of the river and take that directly into Manhattan.

We were wondering for those who make this commute, which is better for convenience, time, money, reliability, etc etc.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 10:02 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,174,862 times
Any way you go, commuting by public transport will be problematic and will take at least 2 hours door to door.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:34 PM

387 posts, read 515,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Any way you go, commuting by public transport will be problematic and will take at least 2 hours door to door.
Yep, it will take some time to ride the train from either station. One is NJ Transit, the other is Metro North. I would take the one with the best parking options.Also the closest station would be another good reason. The good news is the train sure beats driving. I've used the Beacon station, parking was limited but the train was on time.Ride seemed fairly quick considering all the stops. I would suggest a trial run on each if able, good luck...

Old 10-16-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
Yep, it will take some time to ride the train from either station. One is NJ Transit, the other is Metro North. I would take the one with the best parking options.Also the closest station would be another good reason. The good news is the train sure beats driving. I've used the Beacon station, parking was limited but the train was on time.Ride seemed fairly quick considering all the stops. I would suggest a trial run on each if able, good luck...

We are under 10 minutes by car from the Salisbury Mills/Cornwall train station. Do you know how the parking is there? Is the transfer at the Seacucus Junction convenient, at all?

Old 10-16-2017, 09:51 PM

5,298 posts, read 6,174,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedude831 View Post
We are under 10 minutes by car from the Salisbury Mills/Cornwall train station. Do you know how the parking is there? Is the transfer at the Seacucus Junction convenient, at all?

Info on parking at Salisbury Mills below.

Salisbury Mills-Cornwall (Metro-North Port Jervis Line) - The SubwayNut

I can't tell you personally about conditions at Secaucus Junction, but most of the connecting trains will be AMTRAK Northeast Corridor runs and probably very crowded.

When I went from PJ to NYC, I always got off at Hoboken and took the PATH train to 33rd St. Time to 33rd St. was less than 15 minutes.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:30 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,821 times
Both the Port Jervis line and Hudson Line (Beacon) have good track records in terms of reliability. Your commuting choice would probably be most aligned with where in Manhattan you are trying to get to in the end.

The 8th/48th commuter would probably be best served by Beacon.

The Lower Manhattan commuter would be best served by Salisbury Mills/Cornwall -> Secaucus or Hoboken -> Penn Station / PATH. Secaucus is generally the quicker option there, but the choice might depend on exactly where the office is.

Couple things to consider:

-Beacon parking fills up quickly in the morning. Parking extends well beyond the reaches of the station to accommodate this, so be prepared to walk a bit if you are commuting during peak time.

-Salisbury Mills/Cornwall parking should not be an issue, I think.

-If commuting from Beacon, consider that drive during a snowstorm. Not fun. Despite the shorter distance, the roads between Washingtonville and Salisbury Mills/Cornwall become windy and hilly, also not fun during poor weather.

Otherwise, I don't think there would be a massive difference in cost, but this can easily be checked on the MTA website.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:30 PM

387 posts, read 515,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Both the Port Jervis line and Hudson Line (Beacon) have good track records in terms of reliability. Your commuting choice would probably be most aligned with where in Manhattan you are trying to get to in the end.

The Lower Manhattan commuter would be best served by Salisbury Mills/Cornwall -> Secaucus or Hoboken -> Penn Station / PATH. Secaucus is generally the quicker option there, but the choice might depend on exactly where the office is.

-Beacon parking fills up quickly in the morning. Parking extends well beyond the reaches of the station to accommodate this, so be prepared to walk a bit if you are commuting during peak time.

-If commuting from Beacon, consider that drive during a snowstorm. Not fun. Despite the shorter distance, the roads between Washingtonville and Salisbury Mills/Cornwall become windy and hilly, also not fun during poor weather.

Otherwise, I don't think there would be a massive difference in cost, but this can easily be checked on the MTA website.
Good advice on the winter driving, that is a factor.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Info on parking at Salisbury Mills below.

Salisbury Mills-Cornwall (Metro-North Port Jervis Line) - The SubwayNut

I can't tell you personally about conditions at Secaucus Junction, but most of the connecting trains will be AMTRAK Northeast Corridor runs and probably very crowded.

When I went from PJ to NYC, I always got off at Hoboken and took the PATH train to 33rd St. Time to 33rd St. was less than 15 minutes.
Thanks for passing along that link, I will check it out & look more into the Hoboken idea. Much appreciated!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post

Thanks for the .02! Do either of these trains offer wifi? That would be a big factor in a decision also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York