Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:08 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
And most of you have never lived outside of Monroe County....so what do you compare it to? Trust me..... I spend a lot of time in Rochester for work. Your "wonderful" city isnt so wonderful in an outsiders eyes. Give a New Englander 10 compelling reasons to leave New England for Rochester NY...lol.

I have. I have many friends that have. I travel quite frequently for work, spending 3-6 weeks in a location at a time. I have plenty to compare the area to. Again with your untrue sweeping generalizations. I have met plenty of outsiders that have liked the city. I know a few ex Bostonians that have live here. They told me that they came here because there is still plenty to do, but is still cheaper than living in New England. I meet outsiders from work and through festivals among other things that say good things about this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 08:22 AM

640 posts, read 2,011,682 times
Garmin...your just a typical Rochesterian. Anyone who could POSSIBLY criticize your city.....is somehow demonized. That is why many of us dont like it....you are a very INSULAR bunch. If you like your town fine...but maybe you should LISTEN to people who dont like Rochester and the reasons why. Some of the reasons may very well spark a change in what is a really stagnant part of the world. Young people leave Buffalo and Rochester for economic reasons (I went to college in upstate...lots of friends from Pittsford, Penfield, Fairport etc...), but also for the fact that the old minded ways are what got Rochester and Buffalo into their current malaise. Example..digital photography has been on the radar a long time. THe locals running the frat party at Kodak just kept milking the cash cow of film. FACT...

Most of YOU probably just sit back and blame NYC for all your problems....

Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 AM

If you criticize with things that are true fine. But your posts contain generalizations that hold no water. For example if somebody says that they don't like the area because they are don't like snow, fine. But you just make things up to bash the area for whatever reason (people leaving the area because everybody is "old minded"). Did you take a poll with all of the area citizens to come up with the conclusion that anybody who criticizes the area is demonized? Did you take a poll with outsiders giving their opinion on the area? Did you look at the biographies of the persons running to kodak to see that they were locals?
As for people leaving the area, they are not in big numbers. The population has remained stagnant pretty much.
I have problems with your postings because you stereotype and when you are called on it you change the subject. You could at least attempt to use facts in your postings instead of unbased claims.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:46 PM

If Rochester was a economically vibrant and politically progressive area...dont you think the brain drain and youth would stick around.

The corporate-Bushbot-Oak Hill Country Club mentally doesnt float with much of the youth anymore...in case you havent figured that out.

Check your demographics out....its going the route of Pittsburgh.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:59 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Garmin...your just a typical Rochesterian. Anyone who could POSSIBLY criticize your city.....is somehow demonized. That is why many of us dont like it....you are a very INSULAR bunch. If you like your town fine...but maybe you should LISTEN to people who dont like Rochester and the reasons why. Some of the reasons may very well spark a change in what is a really stagnant part of the world. Young people leave Buffalo and Rochester for economic reasons (I went to college in upstate...lots of friends from Pittsford, Penfield, Fairport etc...), but also for the fact that the old minded ways are what got Rochester and Buffalo into their current malaise. Example..digital photography has been on the radar a long time. THe locals running the frat party at Kodak just kept milking the cash cow of film. FACT...

Most of YOU probably just sit back and blame NYC for all your problems....
Yes, for a long time Kodak was Rochester's PRIDE, and unfortunatetly that era has come and gone... however, KODAK isn't what makes Rochester... it is, however the card you continue to play... How much do you actually know about our fair city? Outside of our economic issues? Have you actually stepped foot out of your hotel and explored our streets... Park Ave, East Ave, University???? Unique stores- The Craft Company, Parkleigh, Eleventh Hour... Cafes- like Cibon (recently written about in Bon Appetite)... chatted with true locals OUTSIDE of airports and hotels buzzing with busy travelers only here for business? Have you hiked our many trails, marched through Mt Hope, sipped our blissful wines, taken in a show at Geva? And if we are as stagnant, as insular or provincal as you claim us to be, why do you spend so much of your dear NEW ENGLAND time talking about ROCHESTER? Living as far away from this wonderful place as you do, why make it any of your concern? You don't live here, you obviously can't stand our HOME, and you feel the need to do nothing but put it down and classify us as ignorant... which in its own right is just obnoxious.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
If Rochester was a economically vibrant and politically progressive area...dont you think the brain drain and youth would stick around.

The corporate-Bushbot-Oak Hill Country Club mentally doesnt float with much of the youth anymore...in case you havent figured that out.

Check your demographics out....its going the route of Pittsburgh.

I have checked the demographics as they have been posted in this forum and they aren't the doom and gloom outcast like you think. Its not economically vibrant but is not as horrible as you describe it. We had job gains in recent history. There is not a "brain drain" problem but a "brain gain" problem due to the economy. People are not leaving in large numbers like you think.
Your comments on politics and the country club mentality are completely unfounded just like the rest of your ignorant generalizations. You obviously have not been out in public much here.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:41 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
And most of you have never lived outside of Monroe County....so what do you compare it to? Trust me..... I spend a lot of time in Rochester for work. Your "wonderful" city isnt so wonderful in an outsiders eyes. Give a New Englander 10 compelling reasons to leave New England for Rochester NY...lol.
lol this attitude is why I like Rochester. I've been here 2 years now. At first it seemed foreign to me that everyone liked their city so much.... i grew up in albany, filled with pessimism and self-hate (and 30 minutes from new england... hmmmm.....) But living around such a positive attitude is great!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:52 AM

502 posts, read 1,739,791 times
I've lived in Albany for 20 years (just moving out now), graduated from RIT in Rochester, and have done consulting work in Buffalo and Rochester over the years. You asked about the economy. The economy in all of NY is dampened by the high tax burden of the state, so that definitely is a factor to consider if you are moving here. However, of the three, Albany is clearly more stable... lower unemployment, etc. The state capital is in Albany, and that creates a lot of stability. Albany is also the center of the "Tech Valley" concept that has been incubating for the last 15 years here. RPI and UAlbany are big players in Tech Valley as well. SemaTech moved its headquarters to the UAlbany NanoTech center a few years ago. AMD has agreed to build a chip fabrication plant just north of Albany which will continue this tech push. Albany also benefits from the tourism effect of people driving up to Saratoga, Lake George, and the mountain ski slops... coming up from NY City. As was mentioned, Rochester's two biggest companies - Kodak and Xerox - have both been hammered down over the years. Rochester is closer than Albany to the Finger Lakes region and wine country. Buffalo and Rochester both have more snow than Albany. Albany is also a little over 2 hours by rail to NY City, and about 3 hours to Boston... so this helps the economy... a lot of Albany folks frequently commute down to NY City. It is very difficult to get from either Buffalo or Rochester to NY City other than flying... which is incredibly inconvenient. Albany is a great centrally located mid-sized city in the northeast.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:16 PM

636 posts, read 1,916,074 times
Guys, you need to stop feeding the trolls. There is one in every forum, and as long as you keep responding to his idiotic and miguided ramblings, you are satisfying his pathological dependence on attention.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 PM

"I have checked the demographics as they have been posted in this forum and they aren't the doom and gloom outcast like you think."

Well Garmin...here's your chance to dig up some data and post it to refute the naysayers.

Rochesterians can certainly like to live in Rochester....but you seem to ignore what is really happening in Western New York. Its more like Western PA and NE Ohio....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York